Dr Helen Damon, CPsychol, FHEA, DPsych, MA(Oxon), MA, BSc(Hons)
Hello, I'm Helen. I'm a Counselling Psychologist registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and the British Psychological Society (BPS), and I'm a Lecturer on the Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology at Regent's University London.
In my private practice, I currently offer open-ended psychological therapy to individuals online and via telephone, in line with government guidance to restrict travel and social contact in response to coronavirus. Once these restrictions are lifted, I will resume offering face-to-face sessions at my rooms on Shoreditch High Street and Brick Lane, in addition to continuing to offer remote sessions.
As a Counselling Psychologist, I'm trained in several forms of therapy, including person-centred, existential-phenomenological, psychodynamic and CBT. This enables me to collaborate with you to tailor the way I work to best suit your unique therapeutic needs, goals and preferences.
I have worked in NHS, charity, community and school settings. I'm experienced in working with people who have a wide range of concerns, including issues relating to abuse, anxiety, bereavement, death and dying, depression, life transitions, personal identity, relationships, self-esteem and stress.
I believe that, by coming to therapy, you're making an investment in yourself. As such, it's important that you take time to find the right therapist for you. As your therapist, I will offer you empathy, warmth and the utmost respect. Together, we will work to explore, and develop an in-depth understanding of, the issues you have brought to therapy, focusing on identifying and unpacking patterns, themes and critical aspects of your experience. From this understanding, we can work to facilitate your identification and development of new ways of being in relation to yourself, others and the world, in order to enable you to live your life in the way that most fulfils you and accords with your values.
If you’re thinking of working with me, please get in touch. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, and to arrange an initial appointment with you so that we can think together about how your therapeutic needs might best be met.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), Counselling Psychologist (PYL36552).
- The British Psychological Society (BPS), Chartered Psychologist (344417).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology (DPsych), Regent's University London.
- MA in Play Therapy (Distinction), Roehampton University.
- BSc(Hons) in Psychology (First Class), The Open University.
- BSc(Hons) in Classics (2:1) (converted to MA), The University of Oxford.
- Certificate in CBT Skills, WPF Therapy.
- Intensive Filial Therapy Training Programme, The Family Enhancement and Play Therapy Center.
- Death and Dying (Distinction), The Open University.
- Bereavement Training, Barts Health NHS Trust.
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention, The Maytree Centre.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Personal identity (identifying values and sources of meaning)
- Life transitions
- Death and dying
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Existential therapy
- Humanistic therapies
My fee is £90 per session (50 minutes) for individuals. I also offer some session spaces at a lower fee: do please contact me if you'd like to discuss this. I currently have availability for new clients on Thursdays.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||No|
Types of client