Fiona Aitman MSc (Psych) MBACP
Millway Centre For Health
07958 344 977
I am an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist offering a safe, confidential and non-judgmental space in which to help you understand your emotional struggles and the thoughts and feelings that drive you.
How I work:
I am psychodynamically trained which means the way you relate with me is how you relate to others in your life. My role is then to observe your behaviour and reflect this back to you.
I work with you to help you recognise how your own life experiences might be affecting your current situation, and together we explore the patterns of thoughts which keep you from moving past your fears, anxieties and depressive feelings.
I have worked extensively with clients with varying degrees of mental health conditions and particulalry in addictions, anxiety, trauma, attachment and relationship issues, loss, and depression. I also have a particular interest in working with culturally diverse clients.
Currently I work time part as an Honorary Counsellor at a London University where I see young adults experiencing a variety of emotional concerns. I also see clients at Mind in Camden where I have worked for several years with individuals from the Phoenix Wellbeing and Recovery Service, a mental health service set up for adults experiencing distress through hearing voices, visions, unusual beliefs, paranoia, hopelessness and extremes of depressive moods as well as conditions including schizophrenia and personality disorders.
My private practice is situated in an alternative healthcare practice just off the high street in Mill Hill, North London, NW7. It is easily accessible by bus and train, a walking distance from Mill Hill Broadway Thameslink station. Parking is available on the forecourt of the centre.
I don't charge for our first meeting as I feel this time allows for an opportunity to see how we feel about working together. Fees apply thereafter.
You are welcome to contact me for an initial conversation via either email or phone (found at the top of my profile) to discuss any queries you might have, or to make a appointment to see me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I hold a Masters of Science degree in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy, Birkbeck University of London, Psychosocial Studies
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy, Birkbeck University of London, Psychosocial Studies
- Certificate in Psychoanalytic Psychology, Birkbeck University of London, Psychosocial Studies
- Foundation Degree in Counselling and Psychotherapy, Regent's College London
- Certificate in Psychoanalytic Ideas on Sexual Perversions, Delinquency & Violence, NHS Foundation Trust, The Tavistock and Portman
- Certificate of Training, Conflict Resolution and Mediation Skills, Resolvex
- Training in Image and Colour Analysis and Style Consultancy, Aston & Hayes London
- BA (Hons) Fashion Marketing and Cultural Studies, London College of Fashion
I am registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), and a member of the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) and Association of Psychodynamic Counsellors (APC). I adhere to the associations' Ethical Framework and Guidelines, I am fully insured and DBS certified.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Hearing voices
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
I offer concessions for more than once weekly psychotherapy and fees this can be discussed during the initial assessment.
I work both long term and short term which means I can either see you over many months or years, exploring issues in greater depth, or over a shorter period of time (6-12 weeks) with an end date set from the start and a particular goal in mind.
All this can be discussed in our initial assessment.
My private practice is situated in North West London and within a 6.1 mile radius of:
- West Hampstead
- Belsize Park
- Kentish Town
- Golders Green
- Mill Hill East
- High Barnet
- St. Albans
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||French, Hebrew|
Mondays to Fridays 09.30-19.00. Evening sessions are also available and all appointments are subject to availability.
Types of client