Hi, my name’s Ed, I’m a Therapist working in Twickenham, West London, and online nationally. I work with people experiencing a wide range of difficulties from many different backgrounds, everyone’s story and reason for coming to therapy are different but all are equal.
I offer both long and short term individual therapy, generally the length of therapy is something that we would discuss in our first session. In the case of longer term therapy we would frequently review as the therapy progresses to consider what work remains and when might it be appropriate to conclude therapy.
The model of therapy that I offer draws primarily on psychodynamic and person-centred theory, focusing on the therapeutic relationship while we work together. I also have knowledge of DBT and Mindfulness and may draw on these should they be relevant to our work together.
Dependent on the reasons you have come to therapy I can incorporate Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR) if we both feel this would be of benefit. This is particularly useful when working with someone who has experienced trauma and may have difficulty speaking about what has happened because it causes them to have flashbacks or to become overwhelmed. EMDR is a way of reducing the intensity of flashbacks and the emotions associated with traumatic memories, it works by helping someone process what has happened to them.
Please feel free to visit my website to learn more about how I work.
What to expect in the first session?
The initial session, is slightly different from subsequent sessions because it involves some degree of assessment. It is a time for us to discuss your current difficulties and try to build a picture of what has brought you to therapy, during this session I will ask a range of questions to assess if therapy is currently the best option for you and how we might proceed should you feel that we are a good fit.
Training, qualifications & experience
I currently work two and a half days per week in private practice, while also continuing to work for the NHS in a Community Mental Health Team. As a Practitioner I belong to the BACP who are my professional body. I am a 'Registered Member', this means that I abide by their ethical framework while working as an Integrative Therapist and that I undertake frequent continuing professional development to keep up to date with current practice while also receiving regular supervision to make sure my work is clinically safe. A copy of the commitments we make as members of the BACP while working therapeutically can be found by clicking here.
- Adult Psychotherapist & Counsellor - West London NHS Trust, providing both long term individual Psychotherapy & Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) to individuals and groups.
- Extensive experience working within an NHS Crisis Team and previously as a Mental Health Advisor on an NHS crisis line.
- Prior to working within mental health services, I worked for an NHS Ambulance Service, both operationally and in control.
Qualifications & Specialist Training
- Registered Member MBACP of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Professional Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (RACC)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Intensive Training (British Isles DBT Training)
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling
- EMDR Therapy (Module 1 & 2)
- Critical Incident Debriefing
As part of my on-going professional development I frequently attend courses and study days that are related to my practice, courses attended include:
- Online Therapy CPD Training: Telehealth for Mental Health Professionals (PESI UK)
- Knowledge & Understanding Framework - Working with Personality Disorder: Raising Awareness (West London NHS Trust)
- Dissociation and Depersonalization (SLaM)
- Traumatic Grief (BPS)
- Advanced assessment and treatment opportunities for people with insomnia (BPS)
- An introduction to sleep: Psychobehavioural assessment and treatment strategies for people with insomnia (BPS)
- Understanding and working with: Hearing voices, delusions and paranoia (BPS)
Working with Attachment and Trauma (BPS)
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy 8 week course at the Oxford Mindfulness Centre (part of Oxford University)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Blue Light Emergency Services - Police, Fire & Ambulance Service staff (including Students).
LGBTQ+ / GSRD Affirmative therapy.
£40 Initial Assessment.
£65 Online Individual Therapy (via Zoom).
£65-85 EMDR Therapy 50-75 minute session.
£150 Critical Incident Debriefing – 90 minute group session on site (groups of more than 10 people will usually require a co-facilitator at an additional cost please contact me for further details).
Critical Incident Debriefing sessions can be arranged on an as required basis.
Some concessions are available - please enquire.
I offer online appointments on Monday, Thursday and Friday.