Ed Sammons MBACP (Reg).
Hi, my name’s Ed, I’m a Therapist working in Twickenham, West London, I work with people experiencing a wide range of difficulties from many different backgrounds, everyone’s story and reason for coming to therapy are different but all are equal.
I offer both long and short term individual therapy, generally the length of therapy is something that we would discuss in our first session. In the case of longer term therapy we would frequently review as the therapy progresses to consider what work remains and when might it be appropriate to conclude therapy.
The model of therapy that I offer draws primarily on psychodynamic and person-centred theory, focusing on the therapeutic relationship while we work together. I also have knowledge of CBT and Mindfulness and may draw on these should they be relevant to our work together.
Dependent on the reasons you have come to therapy I can incorporate Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR) if we both feel this would be of benefit. This is particularly useful when working with someone who has experienced trauma and may have difficulty speaking about what has happened because it causes them to have flashbacks or to become overwhelmed. EMDR is a way of reducing the intensity of flashbacks and the emotions associated with traumatic memories, it works by helping someone process what has happened to them.
What to expect in the first session?
The initial session, is slightly different from subsequent sessions because it involves some degree of assessment. It is a time for us to discuss your current difficulties and try to build a picture of what has brought you to therapy, during this session I will ask a range of questions to assess if therapy is currently the best option for you and how we might proceed should you feel that we are a good fit.
Training, qualifications & experience
I currently work two days per week in private practice, while also continuing to work for the NHS in a Mental Health Crisis Team and within a Psychotherapy Team. As a Practitioner I belong to the BACP who are my professional body. I am a ‘Registered Member’, this means that I abide by their ethical framework while working as an Integrative Therapist and that I undertake frequent continuing professional development to keep up to date with current practice. I also receive regular supervision to make sure my work is clinically safe.
Qualifications & Specialist Training
- Registered Member MBACP of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Professional Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (RACC)
- EMDR Therapy (Module 1 & 2)
- Critical Incident Debriefing
- Adult Psychotherapist – West London NHS Trust, providing long term psychotherapy.
- Extensive experience working within an NHS Crisis Team and previously as a Mental Health Advisor on an NHS crisis line.
- Prior to working in mental health, I worked for an NHS Ambulance Service, both operationally and in control.
As part of my on-going professional development I frequently attend courses and study days that are related to my practice, courses attended include:
- Knowledge & Understanding Framework – Working with Personality Disorder: Raising Awareness (WLMHT)
- Dissociation and Depersonalization (SLaM)
- Traumatic Grief (BPS)
- Advanced assessment and treatment opportunities for people with insomnia (BPS)
- An introduction to sleep: Psychobehavioural assessment and treatment strategies for people with insomnia (BPS)
- An introduction to Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (WLMHT)
- Understanding and working with: Hearing voices, delusions and paranoia (BPS)
- Working with Attachment and Trauma (BPS)
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy 8 week course at the Oxford Mindfulness Centre (part of Oxford University)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Blue Light Emergency Services - Police, Fire & Ambulance Service staff (including Student Paramedics).
Photos & videos
I currently have very limited availability in Twickenham on a Friday Afternoon.
£40 Initial Assessment.
£50 Individual Therapy.
£50 Individual Therapy via Skype or Phone – this is only available following a face to face assessment.
£50-75 EMDR Therapy 50-75 minute session.
£150 Critical Incident Debriefing – 90 minute group session on site (groups of more than 10 people will usually require a co-facilitator at an additional cost please contact me for further details).
Critical Incident Debriefing sessions can be arranged on an as required basis.
Some concessions are available - please enquire.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently have very limited availability in Twickenham on a Fridays.
Types of client