Danielle Tolner RegMBACP Counsellor & Psychotherapist
Welcome to my profile. I am an experienced Integrative Counsellor and Psychotherapist working with adults, young people and older children in Private Practice. Prior to this, I worked as a Counsellor in Secondary Schools and volunteered as a Counsellor for Connexions/Time-to- Talk.
Coronovirus: During this uncertain time, I am offering counselling by Skype/Zoom, which can feel as good as experiencing Face- to- face counselling. Please contact me for further details.
I work with a variety of issues, but specialise in anxiety disorders, whether generalised anxiety (GAD), health anxiety, OCD, or anxiety related to ASC (Autism Spectrum Condition) or specific events such as exams. Managing stress, anxiety, ASC, bereavement and relationship difficulties are some of the key areas I work with most frequently.
For young people, I can offer an alternative to the long wait at C.A.M.H.S with time- limited or open- ended, face- to- face work. I also work with adults, especially those involved in the Education Sector, at any level.
Supervision: During the Covid-19 crisis, I am offering three free sessions until June via online platforms and subsequent Clinical Supervision at £35 an hour, £50 for an hour & a half until September. I am happy to offer top- up supervision if you are getting supervision elsewhere.
Free Introductory Session.
Approaching counselling/supervision can be daunting and I aim to make this process easier. I would like to invite you for a free exploratory session in which I can explain the way I work, you can ask any questions that you may have and discover whether I am the right Counsellor/Supervisor for you.
Parents If you are the parent or carer of a young person under 18, I want to reassure you that I’m more than happy to meet with you at this initial meeting to demystify the counselling process, although the body of any counselling session would remain confidential.
However, sometimes it is appropriate to book more than one joint session with your child and in this case, these sessions will cost £60.
Working with Young People
My main area of expertise is in working with young people aged 10-24, something I have been doing for the past 14 years in a variety of settings, six of those as a Counsellor in Secondary Schools.
Adolescence is a time of flux and I want to help you navigate what can be a confusing process. Whether you are struggling to manage anxiety levels as exams approach, or struggling with your self –image, issues of identity or sexuality; whether you are coping with bullying, loss, bereavement, or difficulties in relationships at home or at school; whether you are feeling angry, depressed, overwhelmed, out of control, or struggling to cope; through the counselling process, I can help you make sense of what you are experiencing and support you in a warm, safe, confidential space as you work towards positive change.
In school, I founded and ran the school's anti- bullying group, helped update the schools diversity policy, trained with Stonewall and 'Show Racism the Red Card', represented Buckinghamshire Schools at Stonewall’s ‘Education For All’ National Conference and was a guest presenter at AVDC's third 'Preventing Bullying Conference for Secondary Schools’.
Working with Adults
I also offer counselling to adults, especially those involved in Education, whether as parents, employees, students or counselling trainees. Having worked in Education for over ten years, I am aware of the particular stresses involved in this field.
Working with grief, in particular after the loss of a child.
Since completing befriender training in 2006, I have also volunteered as a befriender for SANDS (Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Charity). As a bereaved parent, I understand this very particular experience of loss and can support both parents and siblings through the grieving process.
How I work
The principles of Person- Centred Counselling are at the core of my practice, with its emphasis on the quality of the counselling relationship. I provide a warm, safe space, in which I will work alongside you at your own pace, as you explore what is bothering you.
I integrate Psychodynamic Theory and Transactional Analysis (T.A) to offer a deeper understanding of your personal history, relationships and your communication style and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Mindfulness, to offer an additional array of practical techniques to address depression and anxiety, which you are welcome to try out in the safety of the counselling room.
In all of my practice I am guided by the ethics of the B.A.C.P: The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapists, a professional body to which I belong, as a registered member. I also belong to its C.C.Y.P (children and young people division) and am fully insured. I regularly attend Child Protection Training and am enhanced D.B.S checked.
Availability and cost of counselling
The availability of counselling is important to me. Normally, my sessions last 50 minutes and cost £50. For combined parent and child sessions, I charge £60. I do offer some concessionary appointments, including a discount on my fees to £40 for counselling trainees. Please feel free to raise this in your initial enquiry.
Accessibility is equally important and I understand that it is not always possible for you to travel. I can counsel you in your home (within a 15 minute radius of my practice) on Mon & Thurs between 9am and 1pm, or at my practice on Mon- Thurs: 10:00- 19:00. If none of those times work for you, please contact me because there might be room for some flexibility.
My counselling space is on the ground floor, with a very low step to negotiate and I have available free parking outside.
I can offer telephone counselling on occasion, if you are unable to physically attend a session and I can also offer ongoing telephone counselling once we have met for six sessions and therefore built the foundations of a counselling relationship. This will be at the same cost as a face- to- face session. In most cases, face- to- face counselling works best, but I understand that it is sometimes not possible and I aim to meet your need.
I hope I have gone some way in answering any potential questions, but if there is anything you would like clarified, or if there is anything else you would like to know, please don’t hesitate to contact me, either by text or email and I will get back to you promptly. As I live in a rural area, text or email are the most reliable means of communication, as phone calls tend to go straight to voicemail!
Training, qualifications & experience
- C.P.C.A.B: Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Supervision (in process)
- C.P.C.A.B: Post Graduate Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
- C.P.C.A.B: Diploma in Therapeutic Integrative Counselling with T.A & C.B.T
- C.P.C.A.B: Certificate in Counselling Studies
- BACP Register Certificate of Proficiency
- T.A Works Oxford: Transactional Analysis Foundation
- Oxford University –T.A.101: ITA Institute of Transactional Analysis
- SANDS Befriender Training
Recent Additional Training/CPD
- 2019- Christiane Sanderson: Understanding the Intergenerational Transmission of Trauma and Abuse.
- 2019- David Wallin: Attachment, Enactment and the Psychology of the Therapist.
- 2018- Arielle Schwartz: Complex PTSD: A Comprehensive, Mind-Body Approach to Treating Clients with Chronic, Repeated, and/or Developmental Trauma
- 2018- BACP Private Practice Conference: Grief and Loss
- 2018- BACP Children and Young People Conference- Working with Children in their World
- 2018- Arielle Schwartz- Somatic Therapy: Interventions to Enhance Embodiment in Trauma Treatment.
- 2017- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder- Sally Ingram.
- 2017- The Impact of Anxious Attachment from the cradle to the grave- Julia Greer
- 2017- Attachment Theory and the Internal Working Models of children- Nikki Reeves
- 2017- BACP Private Practice Conference- Identity.
- 2016- Nick Luxmore: Young People and Sexuality
- 2016- C.A.M.Hs: Eating Disorders in Young People
- 2015- Child centered CBT: metaphor and imagery in children aged 7-11.
- 2015- Child Bereavement UK: adolescence and bereavement.
- 2015- Papyrus: working with young people to prevent suicide.
- 2014- Place2Be: A day with Steve Biddulph- ‘Being Human’.
- 2014- Sexual Exploitation of Young People and Overview of the ‘R. U. Safe?’ service.
- 2011/12/13- Addaction: Drug & Alcohol Awareness in Young People
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Additional Sessions to address Exam Stress
In addition to working with generalised anxiety, I also offer tailored therapy for exam stress, for students with upcoming exams. This can be on an individual basis, or in pairs with a friend, in which case the cost can be split between you. This would consist of two sessions of one hour each:
- Session 1: an exploration of what makes you anxious, the biological response+ introductory relaxation technique.
- Session 2: practical strategies to address anxiety around revision and sitting exams, extended relaxation technique.
The cost: £50 for one session; £95 for two. Further sessions can be booked, if needed.
I have worked with a number of students suffering from chronic anxiety to help them minimise their anxiety levels, enabling them to maintain school attendance, sit exams and achieve their potential and thereby expand their life chances and I would like to do the same for you!
Feel free to contact me for more details or to book sessions.
£50- Individual session
£60- Parent and child joint session
£40- Counselling student trainees.
Supervision: Three free sessions until June then low cost supervision at £35 p/hr £50 per 1hr 1/2 until September.
If I am traveling to you, to counsel in your home, I charge a nominal £10 towards my petrol costs.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Wheelchair user access:||Yes|
My practice is situated on the ground floor, at the end of a short, hard floor corridor, with a very low front step to negotiate. There is free accessible parking directly outside.
Mon- Thurs: 10:00- 19:00
Types of client
Supervision & training
Welcome! I am an Integrative Counsellor and Psychotherapist, currently studying for a CPCAB L6 Diploma in Clinical Supervision. During the Covid- 19 Crisis, I am offering free online supervision for three months until June, after which I'm offering low cost supervision until September.