Cristina Odigie-Bulnes, Psychotherapist, MA, UKCP Reg.
With a passion for helping children, young people and adults make sense of things and grow their personal resilience, I aim to empower clients so that they can shift feelings, thoughts and behaviours that have become hard to manage and understand.
The core aim of psychotherapy is to help young and adult clients feel more integrated and, as a result, feel more secure in and better about themselves, their abilities and relationships.
My assessment and therapeutic work with children and adolescents involve identifying needs and difficulties experienced rather than making mental health or neurodevelopmental diagnoses. I then suggest therapeutic and support plans (which can include parents/carers sessions to do some reflective thinking and/or make sense of child development and the neurobiology of the human brain), or signpost to more appropriate services if needed.
Short-term consultation services for parents and carers (around key topics such as emotional regulation, neurobiology of the brain, attachment and child development) are also available.
Individual support to adult clients focusses on any matters that might be causing distress such as parenting challenges, work, relationships, anxiety, major life changes, and past experiences. My specialist child and adolescent psychotherapy training, work and skills enables me to effectively support adult clients who are experiencing the negative effects of childhood difficulties or trauma, offering them a containing, safe and non-judgemental space where they can process and make sense of things.
In order to adapt the support I offer to my clients' needs, as an integrative psychotherapist I use a variety of psychotherapy theories and creative interventions that match individual needs and enable clients to explore their issues in a way that feels safe and non-threatening.
Furthermore, EMDR Therapy interventions (especially the use of therapeutic EMDR narratives) can be used to treat anxieties, fears, childhood trauma, current stressors, etc..
If you would like to talk with me to discuss concerns and needs about yourself or about a young person or child in your care, please reach me on my mobile. I know that it can be hard to make this first call so if I am unable to pick up your call, please text me or leave me a voice message with your name and contact details, and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Training, qualifications & experience
* Masters in Integrative Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy (Terapia and Middlesex University, London)
* Certificate in the Foundations of Counselling and Psychotherapy (CCPE, London)
* Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Diploma (Lindum College, Lincoln)
* Postgraduate Certificate in Psychology (London Metropolitan University, London)
* Certificate in Assessment and Treatment of Dissociation in Children and Young People (BICTD in association with ESTD and First Person Plural)
* Registration with UKCP - the UK's leading professional body for the education, training and accreditation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors.
* Enhanced DBS Check
* Trained to use EMDR Therapy (EMDR Academy)
* Member of EMDR Association UK & Ireland
I have worked therapeutically with children, young people and adults for more than eight years in London, Nottingham, Lincoln and Barnsley. This includes years delivering therapeutic support to parents and carers around parenting, child development, attachment, special needs and mental health in a Family Intervention Service in London, and two years working as a child psychotherapist in a Barnsley charity that provided a range of excellent services for young and adult survivors of sexual abuse/violence and their relatives and close ones.
Extensive work with families and individuals from a variety of backgrounds, needs and life experiences keeps me open-minded and understanding.
I combine my freelance work in a special secondary school in Lincolnshire with private practice work in Lincoln (children/youth/adults; families) whilst also delivering specialist training and consultation services in various settings.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Emotional abuse
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
* Single or First Consultation Sessions (adults; parents/carers) - £65 for a 60-minute session
* Therapy Sessions (young clients; adult clients) - £55 for a 50-minute session
* Parents/Carers Review Sessions or Family Sessions (clients and parents) - £68 for a 60-minute session
* EMDR Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy Sessions - £55 for a 50-minute session; EMDR sessions with children and adolescents with high complex needs usually need to be longer in time so a pro-rata fee will apply.
* Please note that adoption-related therapy cases (i.e. commissioned by an Ofsted registered agency or organisation) have different rates.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client