Claire Newman MSc Psych, PGDip Psych, PGDip Couns, CTA (P). UKCP, BACP
Fully qualified, UKCP-registered psychotherapist and counsellor with more than seven years of experience in private practice and,
Fully qualified life coach and mentor with more than 13 years of experience.
How therapy and counselling can help
Welcome, you may be looking for a therapist, counsellor or coach to address a specific issue, perhaps an experience from the past that is impacting you now, or there may be a general feeling that something is not quite right. Many people find talking with someone, in confidence, helps them discover who they are and helps them make informed, self-loving and kinder choices.
Therapy and counselling help you discover the real you, creating awareness, acknowledging and dealing with repressed feelings and getting in touch with your innate self-worth. Which, in turn, promotes personal autonomy and the resilience to deal with life's challenges. Life coaching clears unconscious patterns and beliefs and helps you to set and action goals to move towards living a fulfilling and nourishing life.
What I offer
I offer online psychotherapy, counselling, life coaching and mentoring sessions. I draw upon a range of psychotherapy approaches, integrating Relational ways of working within a TA and humanistic framework. While theories and tools are helpful, the foundation of our work is built on a safe, ethical and respectful working relationship.
What to expect in our first session
Firstly, I offer a free 15-minute telephone conversation so that you can share why you are thinking of coming to therapy and what your hopes are. This gives us both the opportunity to see if I am the right person for you, or if someone else or another service might suit you better.
If you decide you would like to continue, your first session is spent discussing the why, what, how, why you are here, what you would like to explore and what your hopes are and how we can work together.
My passion is to get to the heart of the matter, by holding a compassionate, kind, yet firm, loving space. I hold the belief that everyone already has the answers within them and is far more capable than they currently perceive. It is a two-way, co-creative approach, where growth occurs when the intention is to find new and better ways to live.
Training, qualifications & experience
I first trained in Transactional Analysis (TA) at Metanoia Institute in West London, graduating with an MSc in psychotherapy from Middlesex University and PgDiplomas in psychotherapy and counselling. Prior to this I trained as a life coach and mentor with the Global Coaching Academy in Australia.
Psychotherapy, counselling, life coaching and mentoring are distinct modalities and approaches that address a variety of issues or goals you may have. You may like to utilise all three, and I am always happy to discuss the way we work together and decide upon a pathway that feels right for you.
Qualifications and Training
- MSc in Relational Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy
- PGDip Clinical Diploma in Psychotherapy
- PGDip in Relational Transactional Analysis Psychotherapeutic Counselling
- Certified Transactional Analyst CTA(P) by EATA
- Cert IV in Life Coaching and Mentoring
- Practitioner Cert in Eating Disorders and Addictions
- Cert Self-Harm, Self-Care and the Way Between
- Cert Working with Perpetrators of Domestic Violence
- Cert Assessment and Suitability
- Cert New Approaches with to the Body with Susie Orbach
- Cert With the Socio/Political Context in Mind; An Exploration of the Impact of Cumulative Trauma
- Cert Emerging from the Emergency - Onsite intervention work in the aftermath of a traumatic event
- Cert Clinical Measures
- Psychotherapist and Counsellor in private practice working with young adults, adults and groups 2013 - ongoing.
- Life Coach and Mentor at New Possibilities Consultancy 2007 - ongoing.
- Psychotherapist at RB helpline, mental health volunteer service 2020 - ongoing.
- Psychotherapist and Counsellor at Ealing Abbey Counselling Service 2014 - 2019.
- Counsellor at Metanoia Counselling & Psychotherapy Service MCPS for adults. 2013 - 2014.
- Life Coach, Tutor and Mentor at The Global Coaching Academy 2008 - ongoing.
- Life Coach and Mentor at The Global Coaching Community 2008 - 2012.
- Senior Mental Health Worker at NHS Mental Health Services 2001 - 2004.
- Senior Mental Health Worker at St Andrews Hospital 1991 - 2001.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Shame, rejection and betrayal.
Concessions offered for
£50 for individual session
£70 for couples session
I offer discretionary concessions dependent on income, disability or in receipt of benefits.
I work during the weekdays, some evenings and weekends.
Additionally, I tutor students at The Global Coaching Academy in the practical learning component of life coaching combining this with the more unseen, yet 'felt' coaching psychology. I also volunteer for a helpline that assists people with addictions, mental health issues and suicidal feelings.
I am a member of BACP, UKCP, IARTA, EATA and Metanoia Institute and work within their ethical framework for clinical practice.
Claire Newman: Clinical Psychotherapist and Psychotherapeutic Counsellor, Life Coach and Mentor. MSc, CTA (P), PgD (Psych), PgD (Couns)
UKCP registered, membership number 2011173642
BACP registered, membership number 00950773