Dr Christine Hemsley. Individuals & couples. Specialism; Trauma.
The House Consultation Rooms
1 Snow Hill Court
41, Thames Street
As a highly qualified and experienced Counselling Psychologist, I work with couples and individuals from 16 years old through to the older population. As well as working in Weybridge and St Paul's London , I also offer skype consultations. Although I work with a wide variety of psychological distress, my special interests are trauma work and the challenges and difficulties encountered in relationships. I have worked with these and other difficulties in different modalities and techniques. As well as working privately, I am also employed as a Teaching Fellow at The University of Surrey, working on the Counselling Psychology Doctoral Programme. I have also been a clinician supervisor for this University which means that I supervise the clinical work of a trainee on the doctoral program. I have worked extensively in the NHS with a wide variety of difficulties and levels of distress. The latter four years were spent working in a specialized service for those encountering Personality Disorders. The adults I worked with were suffering from the more enduring difficulties associated with Personality Disorders such as Borderline Personality Disorder, Paranoid Personality Disorder and Avoidant personality Disorder.
I aim to offer a service that will meet your individual needs whether it is longer or short term therapy. I am trained to Doctoral level in a variety of therapeutic models such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) including mindfulness based models, Psychodynamic and Person Centred Therapy. I have combined my Doctoral level of understanding of these models with rigorous past and ongoing experience that allows me to work with you in a way that suits your particular needs. I aim to work with my clients in a safe and supportive environment that is not based on assumptions about you or your difficulty. My work is supported by my own professional development.
As an ongoing interest, I also read and assess papers submitted for publication in professional journals. In addition I have had 3 articles published in such journals on the topics of trauma, professional development and also the NICE guidelines
What will my service offer you?
I recognize that deciding to seek psychological can be daunting and so I strive to provide a safe, non-judgemental, flexible and collaborative environment. Having allowed the assessment session to explore what life is like for you at the moment, without trying to label it or tell you how you should feel, we can then makes decisions about the next steps together. I can offer you what I feel is the best way forward and a time scale for the work. At this point we can consider if this feels like the best option for you. With this collaborative approach established, we can then work towards your goals of therapy or change if you are ready to do so.
Frequently asked questions
- What if I am unsure or nervous about therapy.Could I talk to you before booking an appointment? I am very happy to talk to you on the telephone and answer any questions that you have. You may not be sure if your difficulties are suitable for me to work with. We can discuss this on the telephone if you would like to.
- What is an assessment? As I have described above it is the stage where we consider together what life is like for you at the moment and what changes you would like to make. This is also the phase where we discuss the best way forward for you. This may take one session and sometimes more if necessary.
- How long does therapy last? Therapy can be as short as 4 to 6 weeks or longer depending on the difficulties that you are experiencing, the type of therapy undertaken and your desired outcome for the work. Therapy is most successful when a person is able to complete the work.
- Is the information I give you about myself confidential? The information that you share with me will be kept confidential and not shared with another. There are times however when a Psychologist is required by law to share information. This would include a disclosure that there is potential harm to themselves or another person. In this case, I would endeavour to discuss this with you before such action would be taken and only disclose information that is needed to keep a person safe.
- What happens if I am not sure that I need therapy once I have seen you? Sometimes people are not sure if now is the right time to engage in the work of therapy. We can discuss this in the assessment and what might be a suitable way forward for you whether now or in the future. There will be no pressure for you to come to therapy if you do not feel ready. However, if you would like to proceed I will support that decision too.
I am bound by the Code of Ethics of the British Psychological Society and I am HCPC Registered.
Training, qualifications & experience
CPsychol (British Psychological Society Chartered Psychologist)
PsychD in Psychotherapeutic and Counselling Psychology (University of Surrey)
MSc in Applied Psychology. (University of Surrey)
BSc in Health Studies (Oxford Brookes University)
Visiting lecturer at The University of Surrey (Doctoral Level)
External Examiner at the University of Surrey (Doctoral Level)
Clinical;Supervisor For the Counselling Psychology Doctoral Programme
Dip Psych (Open University)
Advanced Diploma in Couples Therapy (NAOS)
EMDR Levels 1,2, and 3 (Trauma work)
DBT Training ( NHS in-house training) (This training supports working with more complex trauma)
In the NHS working in the personality disorder pathway-assessment and treatment
NHS Primary care working with more transient psychological difficulties.
NHS Secondary care working with more enduring psychological difficulties
Working privately and in the NHS with couples and families.
Training and supervision of other health professionals within the NHS
Review of papers for professional publication (ongoing)
Quality assurance in the NHS
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have now completed level 1, 2 and 3 of the EMDR training. This has added to the interventions I can offer for trauma work which is a special interest for me.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
I Weybridge I charge £100 per 50 minute session. For couples work I charge £110 per 60 minute session. If a session is cancelled 48 hours before the session is due, I charge a half fee. I charge full fee for sessions cancelled on the day. No other charges apply
In London Wimpole Street and Snow Hill, I charge £120 per session for individuals and £135 per session for couples.
I accept credit and debit cards, cheques and cash. I work Snow Hill Court in St Paul's as well as Wimpole Street
As a registered psychologist, I am bound by the British Psychological Society (BPS) and the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) code of ethics.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available Monday to Thursday during the day and evenings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Within my NHS work I supervise other mental health professionals and psychologists.View supervision profile