Brian McMillan (Hillhead Counselling) MBACP, IFS Practitioner, FdSc Counselling
I'm an experienced Internal Family Systems Practitioner and Integrative Counsellor with experience in trauma work through Level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy. We all face challenges at various times in our lives. These may prevent growth or throw us back into ways of behaving that don't seem true to ourselves. I am trained to help you remove blocks to growth and fulfilment as we work together to your agenda. Counselling can be a therapeutic and empowering experience in which you will let go of memories, beliefs and behaviours that do not serve you and discover and use your inner resources, experiment and develop new ways of coping and being in the world.
The Internal Family Systems model provides a wonderful safe vehicle for meeting the parts of us that cause us distress and for the healing that wants to happen naturally given the right conditions. I work to assist you to inhabit and fully express the Self that we essentially are and to foster the relationship between it and our Parts on the journey towards healing and wholeness. Elinor Greenberg expresses beautifully what I find IFS offers .. the ability 'to be able to delight in oneself.' I'd be privileged to work alongside you whatever is feeling problematic. All parts of you are welcome in the safe place of my therapy room.
" The point of therapy isn't to get rid of anything, but to help it transform." Richard Schwartz (founder of IFS)
So why choose me as your counsellor?
- I am experienced in working with a range of people and a range of issues having worked in medical practices for a number of years
- I am enthusiastic about therapy and particularly Internal Family Systems. I know from my own experience of therapy how difficult and yet how rewarding it can be to seek and use this kind of help.
- I will view you as a healthy individual who may be experiencing temporary difficulty. My experience and training mean I am aware of the impact of trauma (whether developmental or of a one-off nature) and can help you heal from it.
- I am flexible, creative and adapt the way I work rather than expecting you to fit into a one-size-fits-all way of working.
- I will work collaboratively with you as a co-explorer helping you find and use your own abilities to heal yourself.
- I am fully qualified and insured.
One of my favourite quotes in regards to what counselling is, comes from Richard Schwartz where the big 'secret' to it all is revealed in that; "You, are the one you've been waiting for .."
For further information about Internal Family Systems please follow the link : www.selfleadership.org/about-internal-family-systems.html
For further information on Sensorimotor Psychotherapy please follow the link : www.sensorimotorpsychotherapy.org/home/index.html
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate in Counselling Studies - University of Ulster (Distinction)
- FdSc Counselling - University of Ulster (Commendation)
- Levels 1, 2 & 3 Internal Family Systems Therapy - London
- Level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Trauma
- Certificate for Psychological Trauma & Dissociation - NRC
- Certificate for Bereavement - NRC
- Certificate for Child Protection Training -NRC
- Certificate for Ethics Masterclass - NRC
- Certificate for Mental Health First Aid - NI Training
- CPD Attendance - Working with Ego States & Dissociative Parts - ACC
- Workshops for - Concept of Self, The Wisdom of the Body, Addressing Anxiety, Inner Conflict, Feelings and Emotions, Creative Techniques - Art & Miniature Animal
- Certificate of attendance - Understanding Trauma - Zest for Life
- Suicide Awareness Training
- Working in Medical Practices with a wide variety of Mental Health problems
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£40 per hour for Individuals weekdays
£50 per hour for Individuals weekends