Brenda Sawyerr BSc (Hons), HPDip, MBACP. Individual and Couples Counselling
Hi, I am a counsellor with over 14 years post qualification experience, based in Greenwich, South East London. I have a BSc (Hons) in Person-Centred Counselling and a HPDip in Counselling. I have an Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person-Centred Couples Counselling and a Diploma in Counselling Supervision. I am a Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I provide a private and confidential counselling service to individuals and to couples in the Greenwich and surrounding South East London area. I work with a diverse range of people from a wide range of backgrounds.
I hope that you'll find the information here useful in helping you to decide whether we can work together.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation I am unable to offer face-to-face counselling sessions for the present time.
I would like to acknowledge the courage it takes to make that first step towards counselling as a way to help your self. If you haven't experienced counselling before it's understandable that you may feel nervous or confused about what to expect. If you have had counselling before you may also have some anxieties depending on your previous experience.
There are a wide range of reasons why people may decide to seek counselling, that is individual to each person. There may be issues or traumas in the past that are in some way effecting you now or there may be present day issues that are having an impact upon your life. You may be seeking counselling for bereavement, anger management, depression, anxiety, abuse or relationship issues.
Whatever the reason, it can be helpful to have a counsellor to talk with that is not going to judge, analyse or tell you what to do. My aim as a counsellor is to create a safe space to explore, to help you to a deeper understanding of yourself and assist you in finding your way forward.
I provide a private and confidential counselling service to couples. I have completed an Advanced Post Diploma Certificate Course in Person-Centred Couples Counselling.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a member of:
The British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP).
As well as a member of their sub-divisions:
Counselling Children and Young People (CCYP)
The Person-Centred Association (TPCA).
The World Association for Person Centered and Experiential Psychotherapy and Counseling (WAPCEPC).
BSc (Hons) Person-Centred counselling
Higher Professional Diploma in Counselling
Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person-Centred Couples Counselling
Diploma in Counselling Supervision
NCFE in Counselling Skills
NCFE in Special Needs
Specialist Areas of Work
As well as my private work I am a Rape Crisis counsellor.
I have several years experience providing counselling to women in a domestic violence project.
I worked in an agency for several years providing counselling for young people aged 13-25.
I also have experience as a counsellor working with young people in a secondary school setting.
Continual Professional Development
As a member of BACP, I am committed to my continual personal and professional development and also work in accordance with their ethical framework for good practice.
- Advanced Post Diploma Certificate Course in Person-Centred Couples Counselling
- Ways into Working with Couples
- Relationships and Asperger Syndrome
- Intimacy and Infidelity in Couples Therapy
- Transformative Approach to Couples Therapy
- Modern Love: Rethinking Intimacy and Sexuality in Couples Therapy
- Polyamory: Therapeutic Challenges, Confrontations, and Solutions
- Working with Sex Issues in Therapy
- Pathways to Intimacy After Trauma
- Becoming Great at Confrontation
Training, Workshops & Seminars
- Polyamory: Therapeutic Challenges, Confrontations, and Solutions
- Clinical Applications of Polyvagal Theory in Trauma Treatment
- Embodying Power and Difference in the Clinical Relationship
- Treating Complex Trauma with Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Soul Mending: How to heal spiritual traumas with soul retrieval
- CBT and Counselling with Clients on the Autism Spectrum
- Autism in Women and Girls
- Contemporary Developments in the Person-Centred Approach
- Person-Centred Art therapy skills
- Trauma, Narrative, and the Person-Centred therapeutic relationship
- Mindfulness and the Person-Centred Approach
- Counselling and Sexual Abuse
- Working with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Violence and Young People
- Sex and Intimacy after Trauma
- Trans-generational Trauma: The link between bonding and trauma
- Trauma, Dissociation and Recovery
- Working with Relational Trauma
- Working with Perpetrators of Domestic Violence (trauma based model)
- Domestic Violence Awareness
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Working with Borderline Personality Disorder
- Trauma and the Body
- Healing Trauma in the LGBTQ+ Community
- Working with Diversity in Counselling
- Working Therapeutically with People with Learning Disabilities or Autism
- Working with Autistic Process
- Equality and Diversity
- Working with Suicide in a Relational Way
- Self-harm and Suicide
- Working with Shame
- Shame and Belonging
- Assessing Risk and Resilience with Young People in the Counselling / Assessment Process
- Eating Disorders / Working with Young People at Risk
- Working with Aggressive Energy
- Drugs Awareness
- Child Protection
- Human Trafficking
- Facilitating Therapeutic Groups
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Individual Counselling Fees
The cost of each 50 minute individual counselling session is £55.
Couples Counselling Fees
The cost of each 50 minute couples counselling session is £70.
Cancellations less than 24hours notice of appointment are payable in full.
Cancelled sessions with less than seven days notice of appointment are subject to a cancellation fee of £25.
Missed Session Charges
Missed sessions are payable in full.
Methods of Payment
At present for all Telephone and Online Counselling Sessions you will receive a Paypal invoice* via email which has a link for you to click on and make the payment with EITHER your debit/credit card OR with a Paypal account.
*PLEASE NOTE: You do not need a Paypal account to make this payment.
Tuesdays daytime and evenings, Thursday evenings and Saturdays daytime.
For further information about my practise and how I work please visit my website: www.counselling-southeastlondon.co.uk