Brenda Sawyerr BSc (Hons), HPDip, MBACP. Individual and Couples Counselling
Hi, my name is Brenda. I am a counsellor with over 10 years post qualification experience, based in Greenwich, South East London. I have a BSc (Hons) in Person-Centred Counselling and a HPDip in Counselling. I have completed an Advanced Post Diploma Certificate Course in Person-Centred Couples Counselling. I am a Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I provide a private and confidential counselling service to individuals and to couples in the Greenwich and surrounding South East London area. I work with a diverse range of people from a wide range of backgrounds. I also offer supervision to trainee and qualified counsellors.
I hope that you'll find the information here useful in helping you to decide whether we can work together.
I would like to acknowledge the courage it takes to make that first step towards counselling as a way to help your self. If you haven't experienced counselling before it's understandable that you may feel nervous or confused about what to expect. If you have had counselling before you may also have some anxieties depending on your previous experience.
There are a wide range of reasons why people may decide to seek counselling, that is individual to each person. There may be issues or traumas in the past that are in some way effecting you now or there may be present day issues that are having an impact upon your life. You may be seeking counselling for bereavement, anger management, depression, anxiety, abuse or relationship issues. Whatever the reason, it can be helpful to have a counsellor to talk with that is not going to judge, analyse or tell you what to do. My aim as a counsellor is to create a safe space to explore, to help you to a deeper understanding of yourself and assist you in finding your way forward.
I provide a private and confidential counselling service to couples. I have completed an Advanced Post Diploma Certificate Course in Person-Centred Couples Counselling.
Appointments for Individual Counselling and Couples Counselling
Tuesdays daytime and evenings and Saturday mornings (subject to availability).
Supervision for Counsellors in Greenwich, South East London
I also offer supervision to trainee and qualified counsellors in Greenwich, South East London. Please contact me for more information.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a member of:
The British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP).
As well as a member of their sub-divisions:
Counselling Children and Young People (CCYP)
The Person-Centred Association (TPCA).
The World Association for Person Centered and Experiential Psychotherapy and Counseling (WAPCEPC).
BSc (Hons) Person-Centred counselling
Higher Professional Diploma in Counselling
Diploma in Counselling Supervision
NCFE in Counselling Skills
NCFE in Special Needs
Specialist Areas of Work
As well as my private work I am a Rape Crisis counsellor.
I have several years experience providing counselling to women in a domestic violence project.
I worked in an agency for several years providing counselling for young people aged 13-25.
I also have experience as a counsellor working with young people in a secondary school setting.
Continual Professional Development
As a member of BACP, I am committed to my continual personal and professional development and also work in accordance with their ethical framework for good practice.
- Advanced Post Diploma Certificate Course in Person-Centred Couples Counselling
- Ways into Working with Couples
Training, Workshops & Seminars
- Contemporary Developments in the Person-Centred Approach
- Person-Centred Art therapy skills
- Trauma, Narrative, and the Person-Centred therapeutic relationship
- Mindfulness and the Person-Centred Approach
- Counselling and Sexual Abuse
- Working with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Violence and Young People
- Sex and Intimacy after Trauma
- Trans-generational Trauma: The link between bonding and trauma
- Trauma, Dissociation and Recovery
- Working with Relational Trauma
- Working with Perpetrators of Domestic Violence (trauma based model)
- Domestic Violence Awareness
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Working with Borderline Personality Disorder
- Trauma and the Body
- Healing Trauma in the LGBTQ+ Community
- Working with Diversity in Counselling
- Working Therapeutically with People with Learning Disabilities or Autism
- Working with Autistic Process
- Equality and Diversity
- Working with Suicide in a Relational Way
- Self-harm and Suicide
- Working with Shame
- Shame and Belonging
- Assessing Risk and Resilience with Young People in the Counselling / Assessment Process
- Eating Disorders / Working with Young People at Risk
- Working with Aggressive Energy
- Drugs Awareness
- Child Protection
- Human Trafficking
- Facilitating Therapeutic Groups
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Individual Counselling Fees
The cost of each 50 minute individual counselling session is £55.
Couples Counselling Fees
The cost of each 50 minute couples counselling session is £70.
Supervision Session Charges
The cost of each 60 minute supervision session is £70.
For further information about my practise and how I work please visit my website: www.counselling-southeastlondon.co.uk
Deborah Ubee Trust
20 Egerton Drive, Greenwich, London SE10 8JS
(corner of Egerton Drive and Greenwich High Road / opposite North Pole Pub, Greenwich High Road)
Currently all my counselling sessions are held in South East London at The Deborah Ubee Trust in Greenwich. The area is served well with British Rail, DLR and London Buses. Parking facilities with Pay and Display and Car Parks are nearby.
Rail: Greenwich British Rail and Greenwich DLR within 2 minutes walk.
Underground: New Cross Station (London Overground).
Bus: Route 177 passes the building, 180, 199, 386 stop nearby.
Parking: Nearest Car Parks are 400m away on Greenwich High Road opposite Royal Hill and back of Greenwich Picture house in Burney Street.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesdays daytime and evenings and Saturday mornings.
Types of client