Barrington Carruthers BSc. (Hons) Dips Couns. Cert, EMDR, CBT, MBACP Reg
Joints & Points Healthcare
1 The Rake
8B The Quadrant
0151 345 6823 / 07403 250051
I have clinics in the following locations:
I graduated many years ago with a BSc (Hons) in Applied Psychology, I have a keen interest of how life experiences can shape our emotions, feelings and thoughts and how this can impact and influence our patterns of behaviours and how we see the world.
I have been practising as a psychotherapist for many years and understand that as we go through life many things can influence the way we see ourselves. Life can sometimes strip us of our ability to stay strong and keep hold of our sense of self. Understanding how our internal processes work can enable us to develop our awareness of self.
I am an EMDR Therapist and specialise in childhood Trauma and PTSD, I have an in depth knowledge and understanding of how the body and brain can imprint and hold onto trauma. It is possible to reduce the negative impact of trauma through processing the memory of the past traumatic experience.
I am qualified interactive Therapist, this enables me to work around and within a range of counselling modalities: such as Cognition and Behavioural, Person-Centred, Psych-Dynamic Solution Focused and Mindfulness Therapies.
I have years of experience and working knowledge supporting teenagers helping them to gain an understanding and insight into the complex development process of adolescent. I support teenagers to unpick and explore their feelings, fears, anxious and better regulate their emotions, to enable them to gain a better sense of self.
I work with: Abuse, anger management, anxiety, Asperger Syndrome, bereavement, child related issues, depression, disability, eating disorders, loss, mental health issues, obsessions, OCD, personal development, phobias, post-traumatic stress, self-esteem, self-harm, stress, trauma, work related issue
Training, qualifications & experience
- Applied Psychology, BSc Hons. (LJMU)
- Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy (CPCAB)
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (NOS)
- Diploma EDMR Therapist (ALP)
- Certificate in Hypnotherapy (NCHP)
I have over 3500 client contact hours and have many years of experience working in a wide range of clinical setting such as:
- NHS across a number of GP practises supporting a wide range of emotional and psychological issues.
- Action for Children within a number of secondary schools as a counsellor helping to supporting children and adolescence with a range of emotional and psychological issues.
- Women's Enterprise Breakthrough-Charity, supporting a wide range of emotional and psychological issues.
- Medical Legal support for trauma victims.
- I now am the lead psychotherapist for J&P Talking Therapy Services and have held this post for over 3.5 years.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
Photos & videos
1 hour Counselling Sessions £50.00
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available to see patients on the following days and times within 24 hrs: Mondays 10am - 6pm, Tuesdays 10 am-6 pm, Wednesdays 10am- 6pm, Thursdays 9am - 6pm, Fridays 9am - 2pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|