Who Am I?
My name is Alison and I am an experienced, qualified counsellor and a registered member of the BACP. I guess that if you're reading this you probably have something you would like help with and you may be considering counselling.
Yes, I am a qualified counsellor but I am also just a regular person who experiences what it is to be human too!
This is what you can expect from me:
- I believe that you are the expert of your own life – I will support you to make sense of your feelings and I will work at your pace, dealing with the matters that are most important to you
- I am interested in people and enjoy exploring what makes us say, think or do what we do – I will listen to you without judgement and together we will look for any unhelpful patterns of behaviour or negative ways of thinking and feeling, that might be holding you back from living a happier life.
- I am able to bear the difficult, stressful things that happen to people during their lives like loss, betrayal, abuse, trauma, etc. so nothing is off limits to talk about in your session, "a problem shared" and all that....
- I am a great listener and people find me really easy to talk to
And Where Do I Come from?
I am originally from Glasgow and I believe that some of the qualities I bring from my Scottish culture such as being down-to-earth, realistic and pragmatic – as well as a sense of humour, are all incorporated into my counselling work. It has been proven in studies, over and again, that the single most important factor in making counselling effective, is the quality of the relationship between client and counsellor. It is always my genuine intention to offer a good-quality, trusting and therapeutic relationship to each person who comes to see me for counselling. I never underestimate how hard it can be to take the first step of contacting me for help and I endeavour to make that step as easy and comfortable for you as I can. Together we can explore what it means, for you to be human. Whilst doing so, we shall aim to discover what might be preventing you from living a happier and more fulfilling life and together find ways to improve your lot.
As human beings, I believe that we are socially designed to share our lives with others. Establishing a healthy and supportive relationship with your counsellor can help you develop new ways of relating to yourself and others and in turn you can look to a brighter future, which, I believe we all deserve!
Training, qualifications & experience
Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Counselling
Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Counselling
Solution Focused Therapy Skills
Specialist Adoption Counselling Skills (Ofsted Approved)
Couples Therapy Skills
I have worked for many years supporting people who have experienced relationship issues including domestic and/or sexual abuse including childhood sexual abuse and neglect.
I currently provide counselling for young people and adults at BarnetSouthgate College.
I am an approved specialist adoption counsellor with Barnardo's LINK. (Adoption Support Agency)
I previously provided counselling at Rephael House Counselling Centre, Women's Trust, East London Rape Crisis, Hackney DV Counselling Service and Sangam Counselling Service in Burnt Oak.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Specilaist Adoption Counsellor (Ofsted Approved)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Human Givens psychotherapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
- Psychoanalytic therapy
Photos & videos
Individual Session: £45 Concession fees are considered in certain circumstances please enquire at initial contact
Call me for a brief chat or to book an initial, exploratory session and we can take it from there. If you get my voicemail, I may be with a client, leave me a message and I will return your call, as soon as possible.
If you are house bound, I can offer you telephone or skype counselling and in some cases counselling in your own home, if you have a suitable room for this to happen. Please contact me should you wish to discuss this further.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointments available Monday - Saturday between 9am - 8pm. I am closed on Sunday.
Types of client