Alex Adkins, Counsellor, PGDip, MBACP
As a BACP registered humanistic counsellor, my aim is to provide a warm, welcoming and supportive environment in which you can feel able to express and explore whatever is at issue for you. I firmly believe that as a client, your needs are paramount and that we must go at your own pace for the therapeutic process to work. I practice in accordance with the BACP code of ethics.
My approach to counselling is humanistic, which means that your own subjective experience is of the highest importance to the work that we would do. It is my commitment to stay respectful and non-judgemental towards you and whatever makes you different from me. Upon this basis, my role as a counsellor, as I see it, is then to offer support, insight and perspective as you may require in order to help you to grow, heal or to untie the knots that are causing you distress.
I offer counselling in the following locations:
Urban Fringe Dispensary, 58 Colston Street, Bristol, BS1 5AZ (Mondays and Thursdays)
The Healing Rooms, BS7 8NT (Tuesday evenings and Wednesdays)
Upper Belmont Road, Bristol, BS7 9DG (Fridays)
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Humanistic Therapeutic Counselling (University of Brighton)
- Post-Graduate Module in Developing a Therapeutic Alliance and Counselling Skills (University of Brighton)
- CRI Counselling Service Drug and Alcohol Awareness Training Course
- MA in Philosophy (University of Sussex)
- BA Hons in Philosophy and International Relations (University of Sussex)
- I have experience of counselling in both short term, issue-focused and also open-ended and longer term ways. I have worked with clients of many ages from 16 years old to those in their seventies, and within the context of a wide range of issues and concerns.
- I have worked as a volunteer counsellor at CRI Counselling Services in Brighton and Hove, and at Arun Counselling Centre in Littlehampton, both in Sussex.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Personal growth and development
I offer a reduced-fee initial consultation at £10. This offers you a chance to get an idea of whether or not you'd like us to work together. This initial consultation is 50 minutes in length.
Ongoing work is charged at £40 per 50-minute session.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Please get in touch for my availability.
Types of client