0113 261 2949
I have more than twenty five years of experience of working with adults and young people who are in crisis or are struggling with relationships, thoughts, feelings, experiences or behaviours.
I have training intensively and extensively across a range of therapeutic approaches and held senior roles in the NHS and voluntary sector.
About half of my practice is in the clinical supervision of counselling and psychotherapy trainees, and in professional consultation for colleagues from a variety of therapeutic professions.
I have particular interests in stress, anxiety and depressive conditions, attachment and relationship issues, trauma treatments and medically unexplained symptoms. The last fifteen years has seen a great increase in our knowledge of how our minds, brains, bodies, relationships and external environment co-create each other.
We can make use of this knowledge in many current approaches to therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA Social Science, University of Aberdeen.
- Post-graduate Diploma Art Psychotherapy, Herts College of Art and Design.
- In Service training in Family and Systemic Psychotherapy, Hill End Regional Adolescent Unit.
- Diploma in Individual and Community Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy - Arbours Association.
- Intensive Experience in Crisis Centre for people in extreme states of distress and fragmentation.
- Supervision of individuals, groups, and community process. Arbours Crisis Centre.
- Manager Therapeutic Community for Adolescents - Richmond Fellowship.
- Training Therapist and Supervisor for a number of counselling and psychotherapy trainings.
- Solution Focused Brief therapy training
- EMDR practitioner
- Attachment Based Psychotherapist
- Somatic Psychotherapy approaches, Studies in interpersonal neurobiology.
- Intensive training in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy approaches to Trauma and Developmental and Attachment Issues.
- Experience of Mindfulness Based approaches over twenty five years.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Medically Unexplained symptoms.
It's likely that almost any one of the above list will be accompanied by others. Depression, for example is seldom found without anxiety. Anxiety may arise from any number of sources. The best way to approach confusion in this complex area is to take the time for a thorough assessment.
Approaches to therapy are increasingly becoming more coherent with one another. The many differing "brand names" are beginning to look quite a lot like one another "under the bonnet" as our knowledge of the interactions of body, mind, brain, relationship and external environment becomes more understood. With the exception of some specific methods most "good" approaches may have quite a lot in common.
I always suggest an assessment session to have a of live experience of my ways of working and for some, it is enough to have a plan for the future, for the time being.
My current fee is £56 for a 50 minute session. Other lengths of sessions pro rata.
There are some parts of the week where a slightly lower fee may be negotiable.
I have a very high level of experience in Assessment Consultation, which helps people think about what approaches to therapy might be best for them. This is a one and a half hour session to go over what is happening in the present day, making some sense of how that is situated in your history and working out a viable way forward, whether that is with me or some other practitioner. My general commitment is to helping you find an approach that will work for you, within the resources available.
I offer a brief telephone conversation to help decide if an assessment might be useful. e-mail me to arrange this.
I offer both Long Term and Short Term working with both Trauma and Attachment and Developmental issues.
Professional consultation and clinical supervision has been a large part of my practice for more than twenty five years.
I am a registered psychotherapist with the UKCP.
My practice can be made wheel chair accessible with a little notice.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work some daytimes and some evenings. It is easier to find daytime spaces. email me for current detail.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have over twenty five years experience as a supervisor and am registered as such with with UKCP (CPJA).