Dr Vivien Sabel UKCP MBACP MScPTI Reg. Psychotherapist/Supervisor
As a professional, qualified clinician I am able to offer various services that could really help you.
I work with both adults and children. I have significant experience of working with couples. I have a specific interest in attachment and have written globally about the importance of our early years. Some of my clinical work is with parents and children. I also work with mums (and dads) during and post pregnancy.
I am able to offer face-to-face, telephone, Skype or FaceTime therapy. I have extensive experience of working with Skype and have clients worldwide using my clinical, supervisory and coaching services.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Vivien is a former CEO of a national charity, and an organisational and personal consultant, with a wealth of experience working across sectors, primarily in the field of mental health, deafness and disability. She originally trained and worked as a British Sign Language (BSL) Interpreter and qualified with an undergraduate degree in Deaf Studies and Sign Language Interpreting (University of Bristol 1996). She retrained and qualified in Psychodynamic Counselling (Goldsmiths – University of London 2004). She has undertaken further clinical training with Scarborough Psychotherapy Training Institute (November 2010) of a Masters level Postgraduate Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy (ScPTI 2010). Vivien achieved merit, merit and distinction with ScPTI. As Vivien provides supervision she has completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Supervision (University of Derby 2009). Vivien is a UKCP registered Integrative Psychotherapist. In 2013-2014, Vivien trained at ScPTI as a Lecturer/Trainer and was awarded a Postgraduate Teaching Certificate. In 2014 she co-led the Integrative Programme at ScPTI and in 2015 she became Programme Leader on the Integrative Psychotherapy (Masters level) Programme. Vivien has undertaken a further research degree (MA Psychotherapy) with Leeds Beckett University. This research addressed current provision in Parent-Infant Psychotherapy in the UK. Vivien received MA Psychotherapy (Distinction). Vivien qualified with a Doctorate in Psychotherapy in 2019.
In addition to psychotherapy Vivien is an award-winning author of The Blossom Method - The Revolutionary Way To Communicate With Your Baby From Birth. In 2015 The Blossom Method received a Silver Award from the Nonfiction Authors Association. She was honoured to be asked to write a chapter for Professor Rosina McAlpine's (University of Sydney) latest book; Inspired Children: How The Leading Minds Of Today Raise Their Kids. Vivien is one of ten contributors.
Vivien is an international speaker/trainer. Her work on attachment using The Blossom Method is taught in the UK and internationally.
Vivien has also supported her own daughter, Blossom at age 7.5 years to write her own book.
Vivien is gathering stories from mothers across the globe for a further book regarding Mother-Child Connections. She is co-authoring this book with Antonella Sansone, a Perinatal Psychologist/Author.
Vivien has recently written a therapeutic children's book. The book has been illustrated by a New York based illustrator. She is excited to see her first children's book in print. This book, Robot Meg, She Lives in my Head is all about a little girl with a negative voice in her head and how she overcomes this negativity. Available now on Amazon.
Vivien's approach to her work is unique. She considers herself to be an expert in the field of non-verbal communication and body language. She often utilises these highly tuned skills to address the incongruence between spoken language and language of the body. Vivien has a published qualitative research paper in The European Journal of Psychotherapy addressing Post Natal Depression. For further information regarding Vivien please see http://www.viviensabel.com
- Doctorate in Psychotherapy (DPsych)
- MA Psychotherapy (Parent-Infant Psychotherapy Research) Distinction
- Postgraduate Certificate Full Teaching Membership
- Postgraduate Certificate Associate Teaching Membership (ATM)
- BACP Register Certificate Of Proficiency
- Postgraduate Diploma in Integrative Psychotherap
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
- Postgraduate Certifcate in Clinical Supervision
- Postgraduate Certifcate in Management
- Diploma Higher Education in Deaf Studies (Sign Language Interpreting)
- Advanced British Sign Language (Level III)
- EMDR Psychotherapist (Level III) Trama-focused Psychotherapy
- EFT Practitioner
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Vivien set up and ran a youth counselling service and an eating disorder support group. She has worked in the field of mental health and disabilities for over 20 years and has extensive knowledge in the field of deafness, Deaf Culture, Mental Health, parent-infant attachment, familial relationships and successful clinical work with children. Vivien has spent the last 10 years working in inpatient and outpatient psychiatric services.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Person-centred therapy
- Play therapy
- Psychoanalytical and psychodynamic
Vivien's fees can be discussed on enquiry. Vivien undertakes some low cost work and is currently undertaking some voluntary work fundraising work for the Mariposa Trust - Saying Goodbye, an organisation supporting families with infant loss.
Vivien is also fluent in British Sign Language. She is therefore able to offer her clinical skills to the Deaf Community.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||British Sign Language (Fluent)|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a former Programme Leader at Scarborough Psychotherapy Training Institute on the Master Level Integrative Training Programme working as a relational psychotherapist with over 8 years clinical supervisory experience.