Anne Harrison BA Dip Cou, MBACP(Acc)
I am an experienced accredited counsellor and therapist, wishing to offer you a warm and confidential space to explore any difficulties or stresses. From my own personal experience, I know the importance of finding a safe, therapeutic place with a trusted person, where you feel valued and accepted, while exploring painful or difficult issues. I believe counselling and therapy have a deep healing potential and would be happy to offer you a space to facilitate this.
- I trained for a Diploma in Counselling (1995), and deepened my training between 2010 and 2013 as a psychosynthesis counsellor (2013). I have experience of working with a wide range of issues, and have also trained to work specifically with trauma which may be trapped in the body (EFT - see below).
- I am a registered accredited counsellor/therapist with BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- My main work base is Richmond, and is a safe, comfortable and a confidential environment with free parking.
Why do I believe in counselling? After periods of teaching, youth work, and social work, I first trained as a person-centred counsellor in 1995. During this time, I found my own personal experience of counselling to be life-changing, where I felt valued and affirmed to do some deep exploration and make some fundamental changes in my life. My desire is that you are able to find the same kind of genuineness in the counselling you experience, which may release new potential in your life.
What should I bring to counselling? Bring anything which causes you difficulty at present - relationship problems, anger, bereavement, depression, anxiety, stress, phobias, sexual, physical or emotional abuse, domestic abuse, hurt from painful memories, confusion, trauma, or a struggle with habits and addictions which are difficult to change. You may also be struggling to just find a direction in life.
What kind of counselling do I do?
- I am an integrative person-centred counsellor, and doing both short and long term counselling or therapy. I trained in psychosynthesis as a framework to help my clients integrate their dreams and longings (and spirituality) and to work with energy, which sometimes emerge out of crisis times.
- Within this framework, I help you to express and discover your needs through simply talking and being listened to.. Where appropriate, I also use CBT, brief therapy,and creative tools such as drawing, sand-tray work and visualisation, and even body work if appropriate.
- I am also an advanced trained EFT practitioner, which involved a tapping method on the energy meridians of the body (face and upper body), to unblock trauma and release energy. This can be a tool for self-use and relaxation. I would use this with you if I felt it might help, and with your agreement.
Some practical points
- I offer 50-60 minute sessions.
- My room is in a quiet area of Richmond, with free parking. Bus stops are nearby for those from Catterick or further afield.
- This site is easily accessible from most areas, including the York area, Darlington, Stockton, Middlesborough, the Dales, Durham, Newcastle, and Northallerton, Bedale and the Dales.
- There is free parking outside my room in Richmond.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counselling experience in NHS primary care settings, a GP surgery, and young people in school based settings. I have worked with people with anxiety, stress, addiction, depression, suicidal thoughts, relationship difficulties, and those suffering the effects of abuse (present and past) and trauma.
- Experience as a bereavement counsellor in a hospice, with adults with terminal illness, and chronic and long-term disabilities, and bereaved partners and relatives.
- Experience of counselling children between 4 and 18 with play and creative therapy, to help them adjust to the loss of a parent or sibling. I also have led training in bereavement and loss, and taught counselling skills to 16-18 yr olds as part of their Health and Social Care course.
- I have also worked for a number of years in a generic counselling service, and have believed in giving people the opportunity to explore questions of meaning, belief and spirituality. Questions such as "Where am I going? What gives my life meaning?", and also, "What gives me joy and fulfilment?" are signs of a desire to know more about what makes us "tick", and we don't have to belong to an expressed faith community to want to explore this.
- Diploma in Counselling (AEB 1995)
- Post-graduate Certificate in Psychosynthesis Counselling (2011)
- Post-graduate Diploma in Psychosynthesis Counselling (2013) (Both these qualifications are from the Psychosynthesis and Education Trust, London, validated by the University of East London).
- Advanced certified practitioner (level 3) in EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and am AAMET registered.
- Training in couple counselling with Relate.
- I am a registered accredited member of BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- I also hold a BA (Hons) degree in English (Liverpool), PGCE, Diploma in Social Work, and PG Diploma in Theology.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am also a trained facilitator for Capacitar Wellbeing sessions (www.capacitar.org), which I offer to small groups. Capacitar (meaning “empowerment”) is a range of practices offered to promote wellbeing and balance in the body, and is especially useful for those who have experienced stresses and traumatic difficulties. I often use some of these practices in 1:1 sessions with clients where appropriate.
Group sessions can be arranged by appointment.
Sessions are currently £45 per hour.
I may also be able to offer a lower rate for those on low incomes.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about any of the above, particularly about psychosynthesis, please access my website,
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available 4 days a week, 8am - 6pm usually by arrangement. Some evening appointments can be negotiated.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|