Counsellor and Supervisor. Face to face and online
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Hello I'm Barbara, a very experienced counsellor based in Exeter , working with my clients in person and online.
My effective counselling approach can be of help with a wide range of issues and life events e.g. anxiety, depression, social anxiety, low self esteem, low confidence, relationships , bullying , miscarriage, menopause , neuro diversity and family issues. I have extensive experience of and a special interest in; low confidence and self esteem, stress management, University student issues, bereavement/ loss, and womens' physical, emotional and psychological health and wellbeing.
- Exploring your feelings and experiences in a one to one, non judgmental counselling relationship can provide you with valuable support , new insights and perspectives and personal growth. Counselling can also help you find new ways to deal with the issues that are currently challenging your life, mental health and wellbeing.
- I work with all adults over 18.
- I’m a very experienced counsellor . A registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapists (BACP), and I work to the code of ethics set down by the BACP ethical framework.
- I’m also a qualified and experienced supervisor offering supervision to qualified and trainee counsellors, and those working in job roles where it’s helpful for their wellbeing to have a safe caring space to explore the work and its impact on them.
- Prior to becoming a counsellor, I worked as a freelance learning and development consultant , coach and mentor, specialising in management development, personal development, womens' development and stress management.
- I've also had senior roles in the recruitment sector and have substantial experience of employability.
- I offer an optional low cost 30 minute introductory meeting; an opportunity to meet with me, find out more about counselling and my approach, allowing you to decide if you're comfortable working with me as your counsellor
- To book an appointment please call me on 07740678218 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If I’m not immediately available I will get back to you within 24 hours
- A qualified and very experienced Counsellor , a member of the BACP, on the BACP Register accredited by the Department of Health, and fully insured for my work.
- A qualified and experienced Counselling Supervisor
- An approved Counsellor for Lifeworks and Pro-Counselling ( Employee Assistance Programmes)
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and Qualifications:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling from the University of Strathclyde (BACP)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Training Management (CIPD) Cranfield School of Management)
- Certificate in Stress Management (OCR)
- Certificate in Creative Supervision (UKCP)
- Stress Management
- Rape and sexual abuse
- Domestic violence
- Personal Development
- Springboard Womens' Development Programme
- Coaching and Mentoring
I have over 14 years experience as a counsellor in private practice in Edinburgh and now in Exeter. This time includes over 8 years of successfully working with clients online via video counselling sessions.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Bullying in adult life
- Bullying-recovery from childhood experiences
- Covid -19 issues
- Social anxiety
- Neuro diversity issues
- Isolation and loneliness
- Feeling sad
- University graduates transitioning to the workplace
- Work/life balance
- Conflict and anger issues
- PMS and PMD
- Womens’ issues and life events
£60.00 per session
Concessions offered for
The fee for a 30 minute informal consultation is £20
Thereafter the fees are £60 per 50 minute session
Some concessions are available, e.g. students, seniors and low waged, so please just ask and I'll do my best to help.
£60 per 60 minute session. £45 per 60 minute session for trainee counsellors and those in the first 6 months of private practice
All fees are payable by online banking, on or before the date of each appointment.
When I work
A 30 minute initial consultation is available, or you can book to start counselling without a consultation
I currently have availability for new online clients, either in the UK or abroad.
I've extensive experience of face to face and online counselling and supervision, working with clients in various locations throughout the UK and beyond.
"Barbara has inspired me to become to person I am today, full of confidence, self-worth and self-esteem. Her wonderful ability to help me identify, understand and deal with my issues and anxieties will be forever invaluable. Thank you so much!"
"Thank you so much for all your help. I am eternally grateful for all of your support and understanding. I am really excited for the next chapter in my life."
"Thank you again. I can't express how grateful I am to have you with me all through this summer. It was life-changing indeed. "