Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
Often in life, we may find ourselves in situations that are difficult to manage. My aim is to support you in exploring your thoughts and feelings by providing a warm, safe, empathic and confidential space. A place where you will not be judged or told what to do. I am interested in how behaviour we learned in childhood, may often not work so well for us in adulthood. For example, we may often repeat 'the same old patterns' in life such as poor relationships, over and over again. I believe it is possible to explore and trace back to the time when those decisions were made and to implement new decisions and behaviour.
My primary training is in Transactional Analysis, which allows me to use an array of techniques and theories incorporating CBT and Gestalt, as well as Psychodynamic and Person Centred approaches. I believe this enables a more flexible way of working, ensuring the individuality of the client's needs are met.
For more detailed information about me, please access my website. https://www.karenwalshcounselling.co.uk
At this time, I am working via social media platforms such Microsoft Teams, Zoom etc, and by telephone.
I also offer a Walk and Talk service in our lovely countryside.
I offer one-to-one individual online counselling and couples online counselling.
I also offer Supervision for peers and trainees.
In the first instance, please contact me, either by email or by phone. If you get my voicemail, leave me a message (please don't be shy) and I will endeavour to contact you at the first available opportunity (usually within five hours). I appreciate that making initial contact can be difficult. After an informal telephone conversation, I would suggest we arrange to meet for an initial session, for us both to assess if we are able and willing to work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a Counsellor/Psychotherapist trained to Post Graduate Diploma Level in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy (TA). The Ethos of TA is 'People Are OK'. I undertake regular CPD courses (Continuing Personal Development) as I believe it is important to continue personal and professional development in order to have an integrative approach. I am a Registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), adhering to their Code of Ethics. I am also fully insured to practice.
As well as Private Practice, I have also worked for Cruse Bereavement Care as a Supervisor and Trainer and Chair Person of Supervisor's Business meetings.
- Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body (CPCAB), Level 5 Diploma in Online Counselling 2021
- Supervision Diploma from Leeds Centre for Psychological Development (LCPD) 2015
- Post Graduate Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy from Leeds Metropolitan University and Leeds Psychotherapy Training Institute (LPTI) 2007
- Post Graduate Certificate in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy from Leeds Metropolitan University and LPTI 2006
- Year 1 in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy from Leeds Metropolitan University and LPTI 2005
- Foundation Year In Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy from LPTI 2004
- TA 101 from LPTI 2004
- RSA Certificate in Counselling Skills, Keighley College, 2001
- NCFE Certificate in Basic Counselling Skills, Keighley College, 2000
- Certificate in Working with Couples and Neurodiversity from Aspire Autism Consultancy 2022
- Certificate in Working with Clients and Autism from Aspire Consultancy 2018
- Certificate in Telephone Counselling, Cruse Bereavement Care, 2016
- Certificate in Pre-bereavement Care, Cruse Bereavement Care, June 2015
- Certificate in Attending to Risk and Suicidality in Private Practice, The Horsforth Centre, March 2014
- Certificate in Treating Depression Using TA, NETAC, November 2013
- Certificate in Dissociative Identity Disorder, The Berne Institute, October 2013
- Certificate Part 1, EMDR, March 2012
- Certificate in Dissociation, Trauma and Living and Working with Dissociative Identity Disorder, Trauma and Abuse Support Centre, March 2011
- Certificate in Working with Bereaved Children and Young People, 2009
- Certificate in Couples Counselling from LPTI, 2009
- Certificate in Supervision from Cruse Bereavement Care, 2008
- Certificate in The Shadow and The Supervisor, delivered by Steve Page for Cruse Bereavement Care, October 2008
- Accredited Certification as a Cruse Bereavement Care Volunteer, November 2006
- Certificate of In Depth Therapy - The Child Within, Northern Guild for Psychotherapy 2005
- Certificate in Brief Work Solution Focused Therapy, Cruse Bereavement Care, 2004
- Certificate in New Ways of Working with Grief and Traumatic Events around Grief using NLP, June 2004
- Certificate in Bereavement Care and Support, Cruse Bereavement Care 2003
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£55.00 per session
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
I charge £55.00 per hourly session for Individuals.
I allow up to 90 minutes during the assessment session, though I charge only for an hour.
I charge £65.00 per hourly session for Couples
Fees for Supervision are £55.00 and £50.00 for trainees.
Daytime and evening appointments available.
When I work
I work Monday to Friday, including evenings.