What does EMDR stand for?
EMDR (eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing) is a pioneering therapy known for its highly valued effectiveness in treating trauma including PTSD. It has the benefit that is can also be used alongside work by counsellors of any modality or for conditions.
Dr Robin Logie
Dr Robin Logie is a Clinical Psychologist, Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society and EMDR Europe accredited Consultant and Trainer. He has previously served as Treasurer and then President of the EMDR Association UK and Ireland, and is currently the Treasurer of Trauma Aid UK, which provides psychological trauma services in Bosnia and the Middle East.
What can I expect?
Every EMDR training includes the trainees practicing EMDR therapy with each other during the days together, under live supervision from facilitators, a very powerful way of learning.
All trainees will, therefore, be expected to come to the training prepared to work on a memory which still distresses them to a moderate level. It has to be accepted, however, that for some trainees this may open up other more distressing memories and the facilitators will assist them is how to respond to this.
Trainees should only be put forward for an EMDR training in full knowledge of the above and with their consent.
The training consists of three parts over the course of 2022 in Taunton, Somerset, including 10 hours of supervision, which will be provided at the time of part two and part three trainings.
Trainees will require a minimum of one hour per month, either individual or group, with an accredited EMDR Consultant.
What is the cost?
The cost of the training is £1,200 for the seven days of training and includes 10 hours of supervision. A 10% deposit is required to Somerset Counselling Centre. Full fees are payable by 31st January 2022. Group discounts are available and bursaries of £200 towards the total cost. Please get in touch with us to discuss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMDR training key information for attendees
- Robin Logie - EMDR Training 2022
- Location: Somerset Counselling Centre, Apsley House, Taunton, SOMERSET, TA1 4BH
Although the three-part training includes 10 hours of supervision, this is only provided at the time of part two and part three trainings.
Trainees would require a minimum of an hour per month, either individual or group, with our accredited EMDR Consultant.
You may already know of EMDR consultants. If however, you need to buy in this service, you can locate EMDR consultants from the EMDR Association website.
Training - becoming an EMDR therapist
EMDR is an advanced psychotherapy requiring a high level of skill. A mental health clinical background is an essential prerequisite for the effective application of EMDR treatment. All training providers must adhere to the same entry criteria listed below, as set out by EMDR Europe. You will need to provide evidence that you are accredited with one of the professional associations deemed acceptable by EMDR Europe.
If you train with a provider but do not meet the entry criteria below, you will not be eligible for Accreditation.
Accredited EMDR therapy training is strictly limited to:
Mental health professionals e.g.
- Clinical Psychologists (Registered with HCPC or Psychological Society Ireland)
- Counselling Psychologists (Registered with HCPC)
- Educational Psychologists (Registered with HCPC)
- Forensic Psychologists (Registered with HCPC)
- MRCPsych or equivalent (including Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training in any psychiatric speciality)
a) Complete both long and short psychotherapy cases (and)
b) Equivalent of three years full time psychiatric experience (and)
c) Letter confirming above from line manager and sent to EMDR Training Provider
Registered Mental Health Nurses (NMC) and Registered Social Workers who:
Have mental health training, can recognise and assess common mental health problems and have experience of working in a mental health setting, and
Have training and a minimum of two years experience of providing one-to-one psychotherapy, either as part of their professional training or in addition to it, and
Have provided a reference from their clinical supervisor confirming the above.
Must hold full accreditation by one of the following professional bodies:
- Association of Christian Counsellors (Accredited Counsellor – AC)
- BABCP, BACP, UKCP
- British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC)
- Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP)
- Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP)
- National Counselling Society Accredited Professional (MNCS Accred Prof) grade
- Federation of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP) who are NCAC accredited
- Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP)
Registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) who are experienced in psychotherapy and psychological trauma and are accredited counsellors or psychotherapists or working towards a psychotherapy accreditation.
Clinical and Counselling Psychologists
In their final year of training are acceptable with a letter of recommendation from their clinical supervisor.
Arts Psychotherapists & Occupational Therapists who are:
- Registered with HCPC.
- Have mental health training, can recognise and assess common mental health problems and have experience of working in a mental health setting.
- Have training and a minimum of two years’ experience of providing one-to-one psychotherapy, either as part of their professional training or in addition to it.
- Have provided a reference from their clinical supervisor confirming the above.
Mental health professionals who are resident in a country outside of the UK and practice within that country:
- Are requested to submit a letter from their national EMDR Association agreeing to them undertaking their training in the UK and stating that they fulfil the eligibility to train in EMDR criteria for their country of origin.
- Applicants from countries with no national EMDR Association are scrutinised on a case-by-case basis. They need to follow EMDR Association UK eligibility criteria broadly, ie they should be a mental health professional who is accredited/registered with a governing body in their own country.
- In either case, external applicants who are resident in the UK are not eligible to train in EMDR or practice EMDR in the UK unless they also meet the UK eligibility criteria above.