Umaa Thampu - Dip.Couns MBACP (regd)
07751 589 667
Hello my name is Umaa and I am a registered Gestalt Counsellor Dip.Couns (MBACP) regd.
My passion is enhancing people's well-being. I work with anxiety, depression, trauma, couple's work and cross cultural themes. These are just a few themes named and I am happy to talk more in depth.
This is what I can offer you:
- I can help create meaning when difficult feelings arise and offer a different perspective on 'life's curve balls' such as bereavement, family conflict, frustrations at work.
- I will support you to implement change in your life, assist in understanding your defences, emotional blocks at a pace that is safe.
- Collaboratively working together to understand why and when anxiety is triggered and develop self-soothing strategies.
- Often counselling can be seen as "talking therapy" and I can offer different ways of working such as experiments, drawings, body awareness and movement.
- Benefits of counselling include developing a deeper sense of calm, empowerment, awareness and increased self assurance , please see below NHS page for more information www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/benefits-of-talking-therapy/
I have over 10 years experience in a diverse mix of professional settings which include social services, youth charities and corporate settings.My practice offers a warm, confidential and discreet environment in Clapham Common and Shoreditch.
By recognising unhelpful patterns of behaviour, you can reduce internal conflict and develop a greater sense of compassion towards yourself and others.
For more information please check out my website www.hereandnowcounselling.org.uk
Call me for a free initial telephone consultation, so you can tell me what areas you would like to cover and this will enable me to have insight into what we can achieve together or if you prefer you can email me. I will respond within 24 hours.
Training, qualifications & experience
Diploma in Gestalt Counselling - The Gestalt Centre, London - (BACP accredited)
Certificate in Humanistic Counselling - The Gestalt Centre, London - (BACP accredited)
I am a member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) and I abide by the BACP's Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.
I have worked for various counselling agencies and charities supporting individuals and couples through bereavement, trauma, communication difficulty, intimacy and I am currently working in private practice.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Fees: £60 for individuals and £80 for couples
Duration: 50 mins - weekly sessions
*cancellation fee is the cost of the session if less than a week's notice is given
"Umaa is warm and friendly and instantly put me at ease. She is compassionate, non judgemental and empathic." Joseph, 52 - Digital Director - Dec 2017
"She listens carefully and what she picks up; she feeds back in a gentle, caring manner." Meera, 19 - Student - Jan 2015
"She made me feel safe and secure. She listens attentively and helped me to control my anxiety. Highly recommended." Vanya, 33 - Project Manager- Apr 2016
What is Gestalt?
There is no fixed method or one size fits all solution. Gestalt is about working in the present but does not exclude the past. It is noticing body sensations and tensions and by raising awareness of the body we can become better equipped to self care.
I welcome any questions you may have.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesday evenings - Clapham Wednesday evenings - Shoreditch
Types of client