Tom Taylor. BSc PGDIP PGCert EMDR MBACP (Accred) Individuals & Couples
I am an integrative trained counsellor, psychotherapist, clinical supervisor and EMDR clinician based in central Manchester, both UK registered and an accredited member of the BACP. I have a passionate belief in the human capacity for change, and I am therefore committed to using my skills, training, knowledge and experience to support those who seek my services in assisting them to do so.
Theoretical approach and philosophy
I work with adults, young people, couples and families, and have clinical experience of working with a range of complex presenting issues and difficulties. This means that I am extremely confident in my ability to meet your treatment needs, to assist you in reaching your desired outcomes and in creating your own meaning. I believe that each individual is unique, and therefore my integrative training enables me to be responsive to your individual needs and develop a bespoke treatment approach tailored with you and specifically for you.
Treatment of Depression and Anxiety
Whether you are currently struggling with symptoms of depression and/or anxiety, or you feel overwhelmed, immobilised or completely isolated and you don’t necessarily choose to give whatever you’re experiencing a name or a ‘label’, then therapy can help. I have amassed considerable experience over the years offering evidence based treatments and intervention for these types of issues, with effective results and positive treatment outcomes.
Human beings are fundamentally social animals, which makes our ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships of crucial importance for our mental and emotional health and well-being. If you are experiencing difficulties in your current relationship, or you're aware of repeated patterns of behaviour that are negatively impacting on your ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships in your life, I believe that therapy can facilitate further exploration and positive change. I have a professional interest in attachment theory, and how the nature of our childhood attachment relationships influence and inform our relationships with self and others throughout the lifespan. Thus, I incorporate an attachment focus with all my clinical work, as I believe it holds profound meaning, not only for the therapeutic relationship itself, but also for our own self-development and understanding of ourselves in relation to others.
Specialist knowledge & experience:
My two previous full-time clinical roles have involved leading specialist teams within the field of sexual trauma. Therefore I Have extensive experience of working with male, female and transgender clients who have experienced sexual abuse and/or rape whether historical or current. I am also clinically experienced in working with complex trauma presentations and symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), as well the associated psycho-sexual issues, and co-existing symptoms and/or disorders that may develop including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Relationship issues
- Developmental trauma
- Relational trauma
- Drug and alcohol issues
- Psycho-sexual issues
- Intrusive thoughts
- Self-harming/destructive cycles of behaviour
- Sex addiction/pornography addiction
- Attachment disorders
I also work privately as a forensic psychotherapist working clinically with individuals who have committed, or are at risk of committing sex offences , or indeed may have unwanted sexual thoughts and/or urges. I passionately believe that offering specialist treatment with this population not only assists with the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to an ultimate aim of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence.
Training and skill set:
Psychological Trauma: In addition to my integrative 'core training' I am also trained in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), and eye movement desensitisation reprocessing (EMDR), both of which are the recommended treatments for trauma and PTSD, by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). I adopt a trauma informed, embodied approach to treatment, as I subscribe to the evidence based belief that the body remembers trauma, and thus it is necessary to treat the mind and body to aid trauma recovery.
Childhood/Developmental Trauma: I have many years experience of working with adult survivors of childhood trauma and adversity. This may involve a range of adverse experiences, that can often lead to chronic symptoms and difficulties throughout the lifespan until the initial traumatic experiences themselves are processed, to assist with healing and recovery. Research evidence indicates that psychotherapy treatment can help significantly, and in addition to my extensive experience within the field I am trained in evidence based treatments and types of intervention that can assist with this type of work, such as EMDR, Trauma Focused CBT (TFCBT), mindfulness and emotional freedom technique (EFT/Tapping).
Addiction & Dependency: Having worked in drug & alcohol services for many years I am also skilled and experienced in working with addiction/dependency issues, incorporating relapse prevention, impulse control and urge reduction. When working with compulsive and/or destructive cycles of behaviour, such issues often have trauma related origins beginning in childhood. Therefore, a phased, trauma informed approach and way of working with these types of problems is both necessary and effective in my experience.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc Therapeutic Practice of Psychological Trauma (Currently Studying)
- PG Certificate in Attachment
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 3
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 2
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 1
- PG Diploma Therapeutic Practice of Psychological Trauma
- Certificate in Couples & Relationship Therapy
- BPS Accredited Supervisor Training
- PG Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- PG Diploma in Theory and Practice of Integrative Counselling
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT/ Tapping) Level 1 & 2
- Introduction to Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT/Tapping)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology & Counselling
- Certificates in Counselling Skills (1&2)
- EMDR Therapy for Suicidal clients and Self-harming behaviours
- Internal Family Systems (IFS) Immersion Course
- Clinical Applications of Polyvagal Theory in Trauma Treatment
- Polyvagal Theory Masterclass
- Attachment, Detachment and Re-Attachment in Psychosis and beyond
- The Flash Technique
- Treating Complex Trauma with Internal Family Systems
- Attachment-Focused EMDR Course: A clinician’s guide to healing trauma and developmental deficits
- Attachment and the Dance of Sex: Integrating Couples and Sex Therapy
- Delivering EMDR Therapy Online
- Applying Attachment Theory in Clinical Practice: Treatment Strategies Across the Lifespan
- An Integrative Approach to Stabilization with Dissociative Clients
- Body Oriented Therapy Techniques for Trauma and Attachment
- Mentalization Based Treatment - Online Training
- Complex Trauma Work, An Embodied Approach (Single, Multiple & Childhood Trauma - Stage 1)
- Complex Trauma Work, An Embodied Approach (Single, Multiple & Childhood Trauma - Stage 2)
- The Adult Attachment Interview in Practice
- Mindfulness and Compassion Focused Approaches to Trauma
- Compassion Fatigue & Vicarious Trauma
- Trauma Focused CBT
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) Skills Workshop
- The Inner Child in Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Harmful Sexual Behaviour in Male Adolescents: Risk & Intervention
- Responding to Psychological Trauma: Therapeutic Perspectives
- EMDR with Pain, Depression and Adults Abused as Children
- Cognitive Therapy in Adversity
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Working with Relational Trauma
- EMDR with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Dealing with Shame
- Healing Complex Trauma & Dissociation with Ego State Therapy
- Workshop in Running Mindfulness Groups
- CBT for Personality Disorders
- CBT for Eating Disorders
- Attachment Theory - Above and Beyond
- IAPT PWP Supervisors Training
- Boys are Sexually Exploited Too
- Working with Addictive Processes & Relapse Prevention
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Relapse Prevention Strategies and Intervention
- Counsellor, Psychotherapist & Clinical Supervisor in Private Practice
- Specialist Psychotherapist - Stop Sex Offending (STOPSO)
- Clinical Supervisor - Beacon Counselling
- Project Lead & Trauma Informed Psychotherapist (The Change Project)
- Clinical Lead & Trauma Informed Psychotherapist (Survivors Manchester)
- Specialist Children & Young People's Drug & Alcohol Practitioner -SMART Team/Lifeline
- Volunteer Psychotherapist - LGBT Foundation
- Therapist & Consultant - Tree Tops Counselling Service
- Trainee Integrative Counsellor - NHS Primary Care Mental Health team
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Couples & relationship counselling
- Sex offending
- Relationship Difficulties
- Sexual Abuse
- Psycho-sexual Issues
- Existential issues
- Attachment Disorders
- Panic Disorder
- Anger Management
- Suicidal Thoughts
Individuals: I offer a sliding scale between £70 - £85 per 50 minute session, dependent on a range of factors such as individual circumstances and the specific nature of the work involved.
Online Therapy: I offer online/video sessions via Zoom or Microsoft Teams at the rate of between £65 to £75 per session, dependant on the nature of the work involved.
Couples: £75 per session.
“I just wanted to say how grateful I am to you Tom for all you’ve done to help me move on and deal with everything. I was nervous about seeing a male therapist but I had no need to be as you made me feel safe throughout. I only wish I’d come to you sooner. I can’t thank you enough.”
“I do of course still have moments of reflection which brings on a little sadness but these are becoming less frequent and quickly pass without incident or worry. Thanks again for all of your help and support Tom. I wouldn’t have got this far without it.”
“I’d like to thank you for the help and support you’ve given me in the few sessions we’ve had, you’ve given me helpful advice and lines of thought.”
“Having had so many negative experiences of mental health professionals over the years has made me really appreciate how good you are at your job. You’re definitely one of the good ones , thank you Tom”