Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
I am an integrative trained counsellor, psychotherapist, clinical supervisor and EMDR clinician based in central Manchester, both UK registered and an accredited member of the BACP. I have a passionate belief in the human capacity for change, and I am therefore committed to using my skills, training, knowledge and experience to support those who seek my services in assisting them to do so.
Theoretical approach and philosophy
I specialise in psychological trauma, and work with adults, couples and families, whilst having clinical experience of working with a range of complex presenting issues and difficulties. This means that I am extremely confident in my ability to meet your treatment needs, to assist you in reaching your desired outcomes and in creating your own meaning. I believe that each individual is unique, and therefore my integrative training enables me to be responsive to your individual needs and develop a bespoke treatment approach tailored with you and specifically for you.
Treatment of Depression and Anxiety
Whether you are currently struggling with symptoms of depression and/or anxiety, or you feel overwhelmed, immobilised or completely isolated and you don’t necessarily choose to give whatever you’re experiencing a name or a ‘label’, then therapy can help. I have amassed considerable experience over the years offering evidence based treatments and intervention for these types of issues, with effective results and positive treatment outcomes.
Human beings are fundamentally social animals, which makes our ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships of crucial importance for our mental and emotional health and well-being. If you are experiencing difficulties in your current relationship, or you're aware of repeated patterns of behaviour that are negatively impacting on your ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships in your life, I believe that therapy can facilitate further exploration and positive change. I have a professional interest in attachment theory, and how the nature of our childhood attachment relationships influence and inform our relationships with self and others throughout the lifespan. Thus, I incorporate an attachment focus with all my clinical work, as I believe it holds profound meaning, not only for the therapeutic relationship itself, but also for our own self-development and understanding of ourselves in relation to others.
Specialist knowledge & experience:
My two previous full-time clinical roles have involved leading specialist teams within the field of sexual trauma. Therefore I Have extensive experience of working with male, female and transgender clients who have experienced sexual abuse and/or rape whether historical or current. I am also clinically experienced in working with complex trauma presentations and symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), as well the associated psycho-sexual issues, and co-existing symptoms and/or disorders that may develop including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Relationship issues
- Developmental trauma
- Relational trauma
- Drug and alcohol issues
- Psycho-sexual issues
- Intrusive thoughts
- Self-harming/destructive cycles of behaviour
- Sex addiction/pornography addiction
- Attachment disorders
I also work privately as a forensic psychotherapist working clinically with individuals who have committed, or are at risk of committing sex offences , or indeed may have unwanted sexual thoughts and/or urges. I passionately believe that offering specialist treatment with this population not only assists with the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to an ultimate aim of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence, and protecting children where applicable.
Training and skill set:
Psychological Trauma: In addition to my integrative 'core training' I am also trained in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), and eye movement desensitisation reprocessing (EMDR), both of which are the recommended treatments for trauma and PTSD, by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). I adopt a trauma informed, embodied approach to treatment, as I subscribe to the evidence based belief that the body remembers trauma, and thus it is necessary to treat the mind and body to aid trauma recovery.
Compusive Sexual Behaviour (CSB): I specialise in the treatment of compulsive sexual behaviour, having received specialist training and qualification from the Contemporary Institute of Clinical Sexology (CICS). As with all of my work, including psychosexual issues, I adopt a trauma informed approach to treatment. Collaboratively working with the client to identify any potential experiences, and/or drivers perpetuating these coping behaviours, with an aim to process them in the present can ultimately resolve CSB, thus reducing the potential for reenactment and distress.
Childhood/Developmental Trauma: I have many years experience of working with adult survivors of childhood trauma and adversity. This may involve a range of adverse experiences, that can often lead to chronic symptoms and difficulties throughout the lifespan until the initial traumatic experiences themselves are processed, to assist with healing and recovery. Research evidence indicates that psychotherapy treatment can help significantly, and in addition to my extensive experience within the field I am trained in evidence based treatments and types of intervention that can assist with this type of work, such as EMDR, Trauma Focused CBT (TFCBT), mindfulness and emotional freedom technique (EFT/Tapping).
Addiction & Dependency: Having worked in drug & alcohol services for many years I am also skilled and experienced in working with addiction/dependency issues, incorporating relapse prevention, impulse control and urge reduction. When working with compulsive and/or destructive cycles of behaviour, such issues often have trauma related origins beginning in childhood. Therefore, a phased, trauma informed approach and way of working with these types of problems is both necessary and effective in my experience.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PG Cert Attachment Theory
- PG Dip Sexually Compulsive Behaviour (CSB)
- PG Dip Therapeutic Practice of Psychological Trauma
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 3
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 2
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 1
- PG Cert Couples & Relationship Therapy
- BPS Accredited Supervisor Training
- IAPT PWP Supervisors Training
- PG Cert Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- PG Dip Theory and Practice of Integrative Counselling
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT/ Tapping) Level 1 & 2
- Introduction to Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT/Tapping)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology & Counselling
- Certificates in Counselling Skills (1&2)
- Trauma and Relationships: When Intimacy Feels Unsafe
- Shame Containment Theory
- Working with a Clients Emotional Triggers
- The Neurobiology of Resentment
- Brain Care as Self-Care: Applying the Neuroscience of Well-being to Help Clients
- Treating out of Control Sexual Behaviour
- Body Oriented Therapy Techniques for Trauma and Attachment
- Trauma, Affect Dysregulation and Shame: Treating the Seeds of Self-Destructive Behaviour
- IFS Informed EMDR
- EMDR for Sexually Compulsive Behaviour
- IFS Treatment for Sexual Abuse: Victims and Perpetrators
- Clinical Applications of Polyvagal Theory in Trauma Treatment
- Treating Complex Trauma with Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Trauma and the role of shame
- Internal Family Systems (IFS) Immersion Course
- Understanding Kink
- Attachment Focused EMDR Course: A Clinicians Guide to Healing Trauma and Developmental Deficits
- Polyvagal Theory Masterclass
- Shame - The Meaning of Shame in the Treatment of Trauma
- Essential Sensorimotor Skills and Resources for Healing Shame
- Sex Toys and Sex Therapy
- EMDR Therapy for Suicidal clients and Self-harming behaviours
- Healing Complex Trauma & Dissociation with Ego State Therapy
- Attachment, Detachment and Re-Attachment in Psychosis and beyond
- Applying Attachment Theory in Clinical Practice: Treatment Strategies Across the Lifespan
- The Flash Technique (EMDR)
- Attachment and the Dance of Sex: Integrating Couples and Sex Therapy
- Delivering EMDR Therapy Online
- An Integrative Approach to Stabilization with Dissociative Clients
- Mentalization Based Treatment - Online Training
- Complex Trauma Work, An Embodied Approach (Single, Multiple & Childhood Trauma - Stage 1)
- Complex Trauma Work, An Embodied Approach (Single, Multiple & Childhood Trauma - Stage 2)
- The Adult Attachment Interview in Practice
- Mindfulness and Compassion Focused Approaches to Trauma
- Compassion Fatigue & Vicarious Trauma
- Trauma Focused CBT
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) Skills Workshop
- The Inner Child in Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Harmful Sexual Behaviour in Male Adolescents: Risk & Intervention
- Responding to Psychological Trauma: Therapeutic Perspectives
- EMDR with Pain, Depression and Adults Abused as Children
- Cognitive Therapy in Adversity
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Working with Relational Trauma
- EMDR with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Dealing with Shame
- Workshop in Running Mindfulness Groups
- CBT for Personality Disorders
- CBT for Eating Disorders
- Attachment Theory - Above and Beyond
- Boys are Sexually Exploited Too
- Working with Addictive Processes & Relapse Prevention
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Relapse Prevention Strategies and Intervention
- Specialist Trauma and Attachment Informed Counsellor, Psychotherapist & Clinical Supervisor in Private Practice
- Specialist Psychotherapist - Stop Sex Offending (STOPSO)
- Clinical Supervisor & Trainer - Beacon Counselling
- Project Lead & Trauma Informed Psychotherapist (The Change Project)
- Clinical Lead & Trauma Informed Psychotherapist (Survivors Manchester)
- Specialist Children & Young People's Drug & Alcohol Practitioner -SMART Team/Lifeline
- Volunteer Psychotherapist - LGBT Foundation
- Therapist & Consultant - Tree Tops Counselling Service
- Trainee Integrative Counsellor - NHS Primary Care Mental Health team
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Couples & relationship counselling
- Sex offending
- Relationship Difficulties
- Sexual Abuse
- Psycho-sexual Issues
- Existential issues
- Attachment Disorders
- Panic Disorder
- Anger Management
- Suicidal Thoughts
£80.00 - £90.00
Online/Video Therapy: I offer online/video sessions via Zoom or Microsoft Teams at the rate of £80 per 50 minute session.
Couples: £90 per session.
When I work
Flexible daytime and evening appointments throughout the week. Weekend slots available.
“I just wanted to say how grateful I am to you Tom for all you’ve done to help me move on and deal with everything. I was nervous about seeing a male therapist but I had no need to be as you made me feel safe throughout. I only wish I’d come to you sooner. I can’t thank you enough.”
“I do of course still have moments of reflection which brings on a little sadness but these are becoming less frequent and quickly pass without incident or worry. Thanks again for all of your help and support Tom. I wouldn’t have got this far without it.”
“I’d like to thank you for the help and support you’ve given me in the few sessions we’ve had, you’ve given me helpful advice and lines of thought.”
“Having had so many negative experiences of mental health professionals over the years has made me really appreciate how good you are at your job. You’re definitely one of the good ones , thank you Tom”