Terri Ainley BSc(Hons)psych., PGDip, MBACP, MBPsS
Terri Ainley is a highly-qualified, BACP registered practitioner with 14 years experience in providing counselling and therapy to private clients, employee assistance programmes and the voluntary sector. You can benefit from her compassionate and professional approach whether you are looking for a few counselling sessions to help you through a difficult time, or wanting longer-term and more in-depth therapy.
When you attend your sessions, you’ll be welcomed into a comfortable, private counselling suite within a tranquil woodland setting, just 5 miles from the centre of Dumfries.
Generous 90 minute sessions allow you plenty of time to talk through your difficulties and discover new ways of coping with life’s challenges. On-going sessions are provided on a flexible basis to suit your lifestyle and individual therapeutic needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications, Training and Professional Development:
BSc (Hons) Psychology (2:1)
Graduate Certificate in Couples Counselling (Relate)
Post Graduate Diploma in Couples Therapy (Relate)
Family Counselling Certificate (Relate)
Formal ACT Training (General; ACT for Anxiety and Depression, ACT for Trauma)
Regular Professional Development in ACT, Mindfulness, and associated disciplines.
Formal Mindfulness Training (Mindfulness Association) and daily personal mindfulness meditation practice.
BACP Register - Certificate number 045904
MBACP - Member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists
MBPsS - Graduate member of the British Psychological Society
Member of the Association for Contextual Behavioural Science.
I also frequently undertake less formal CPD on a wide range of mental health and wellbeing subjects, to expand my knowledge and skills, and ensure my practice is up to date.
I established my private counselling practice when I moved to Dumfries in 2013. During this time my practice has shifted from working as a couples therapist, towards helping individual clients cope with the diverse range of challenges that life brings.
I previously lived in Durham in the north east of England, where I was a counsellor and couples therapist with Relate for 8 years. I was also a Relate trainer, delivering workshops to members of the public, professionals and volunteers. (Relate was previously known as the Marriage Guidance Council and is the largest provider of relationship support in England).
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Low self-worth and self-loathing.
- Shyness and social anxiety.
- Guilt and regret.
- Shame and feeling like a bad person.
- Lack of direction, feeling lost or life feeling meaningless.
- Feeling hopeless.
- Feeling suicidal or that life isn't worth living.
- Financial worries and living with hardship.
- Unfairness and injustice.
- Bullying and harassment.
- Overthinking, and unhelpful or intrusive thoughts.
- Feeling overwhelmed and unable to cope.
- Living with disability, and chronic or terminal illness.
- Work issues including: bullying and harassment; stress; shifts; working away; unemployment; career change; relationships with colleagues; job dissatisfaction.
- Retirement, and other major life changes such as moving house, changing jobs, children leaving home.
- Couple and relationship issues.
- Families, Step-families and In-laws - conflicts and interference/criticism from relatives and friends.
- Communication including arguing and not speaking.
- Power and control issues in relationships.
- Impact of mental health problems on relationships.
- Moving on from a relationship that has ended.
- Being single; dating and finding love.
- Learning from past relationships; getting out of the cycle of unhealthy relationships.
- Survivors of childhood or adult sexual abuse.
- Survivors of childhood or adult violence, domestic violence/abuse, neglect.
I have a particular interest in working with:
- People struggling with anxiety and/or depression.
- PTSD and other trauma-related difficulties.
- Individuals who are experiencing relationship problems.
- People who live with disabilities, chronic illness, and pain management.
- Military personnel and veterans.
- People who are experiencing difficulties at work or in their careers.
£50.00 for a 90 minute session.
Please phone me for a free, no obligation chat about the counselling and therapy I offer.
You will have your sessions in a modern, comfortable and private counselling suite in a tranquil environment, where you can relax and feel safe to talk about whatever you're struggling with in your life. Accessibility: ground floor with a single 2 inch step. Refreshments provided. Toilet facilities available.