Sue Mansell, MBACP
My name is Sue Mansell and I am a trained psychodynamic counsellor. I have experienced the positive impact of counselling first hand having faced issues and difficulties in my own life many years ago. Counselling helped change me for the better and gave me a broader understanding of myself, how I responded to situations and why. It also motivated me to do this for other people and support them through their process of understanding how our history has shaped the way we think, feel and behave as well as how this impacts on our adult lives.
For those of you new to counselling here is what you can expect:
Each of us responds differently to difficult situations. With gentle exploration, a counsellor will enable you to make sense of your current circumstances, both in light of your past experiences and belief systems about yourself.
- You will work, with your counsellor to understand your problem or issues and find out what beliefs you have about yourself.
- The purpose of counselling is to enable you to resolve your issues so that you can have more happiness and joy in your life.
- You will be more self-aware and understand why things happen.
- Counselling sessions are tailored to each client’s unique situation, values, culture and needs.
- Together the counsellor and the client address the problem and identify options for change and a preferred consequence/ outcome.
- A counselling session helps the client create positive changes.
- Counsellors are not judgemental.
- Every counsellor has a Code of Ethics and Code of Practice which they must follow to ensure professionalism
I provide a safe space to talk and work in a variety of creative ways tailored to help give you the tools to express yourself, access your emotion and be heard. I work in a non-judgemental way and I am very down to earth. I provide a confidential space where you can explore your issues or concerns with support to move forward.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have set up and run several counselling provisions in Sure Start Centres in Chesterfield in a volunteer capacity for Derbyshire County Council, supporting families and young people with complex needs. This included my marketing the service, undertaking a referral process, safeguarding, and risk assessments.
I run my own business, work with a wide age range, and cover a board spectrum of issue-based work with clients.
I have a level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, am a Psychodynamic Counsellor and also qualified in a range of alternative therapies.
I therefore look at the whole person on several levels and tailor my approach to best suit the needs of the client.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
Your first half hour meeting with me will be free to see if I am able to help and that you are happy to work with me.
Sessions are £35 per hour normally but I do an introductory offer of £30 for each session for the first 3 sessions as a new client.
Sessions usually last for 60 minutes on a weekly or fortnightly basis though frequency may be negotiated. Reviews of the therapy are undertaken to ensure you are comfortable and that we are making steps forward. The number of sessions you will have is flexible and open ended and you will decide when you wish the sessions to stop with guidance from your counsellor.
There is a 100% charge for appointments cancelled with less than 48 hours’ notice or not attended.
I am a member of the BACP
I attend regular supervision to ensure best practice.
I have full insurance
I adhere to the BACP code of ethics
I ensure that I regularly update my skills through further development
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client