Sophia Hilsley (FPC, UKCP, MBACP)
The Courtyard Garden
Psychotherapy and Counselling Practice
152 Buckingham Palace Road
020 7730 1242 / 07985 226216
I am an experienced psychodynamic psychotherapist and provide a confidential, safe space where, without judgement or criticism, we can work together to understand what is making you unhappy.
People often seek psychotherapy or counselling when they are in crisis. At times we can all feel 'stuck', as if there are no options left to explore. Other people come to therapy when they are not so much in crisis, but are perhaps beginning to notice negative patterns in their relationships, behaviours or feelings. Therapy can't change the past; but it can be helpful to think about your life with a trained therapist; working together to identify ways to move forward and ultimately, find a more satisfying and valuable way to live.
Prior to my career as a therapist I worked as a lawyer and in the Civil service. I worked predominately in International relations and foreign policy. I am able to use my previous experience to aid my therapeutic work and have an understanding of how hard it can be to maintain emotional balance in contemporary life. I have experience of dealing with team dynamics, workplace stress and also tackling issues of difference and and prejudice.
I provide regular open-ended psychotherapy and counselling, and short-term therapy which uses elements of dynamic interpersonal therapy, cognitive methods and mindfulness in a safe and non judgmental setting.
I have particular experience in relationship difficulties. I can help if you are struggling in a relationship, or coming to terms with the end of a relationship through separation or divorce to consider ways of coping. I can also help if you feel unable to make attachments or find it difficult to form or sustain relationships.
I offer specialised help to people struggling with issues of depression, anxiety and stress and those dealing with feelings of loneliness and exclusion. I can help if you have confidence and anger issues. I use a variety of principles alongside a more traditional psychodynamic approach - including elements of CBT and dynamic interpersonal therapy.
I have an understanding and awareness of the difficulty of maintaining a work life balance in today's driven society and managing academic pressures having completed an MA and Ph.D. I have travelled internationally and lived in Europe and America and appreciate the pressure of moving countries and the impact this can have on our emotional well-being.
I work from a psychodynamic perspective, based on the principle that problems and distress in the present may be related to early experiences. Whether your problems are identifiable, or confusing, therapy can help you deal with emotions that are difficult to understand, giving you fresh insight into your life and work in order to find the best way forward.
Therapy is a collaborative process - I provide a safe and confidential space to explore and talk openly without discrimination or judgement. Taking the first steps can be difficult, but an initial consultation can help you address any concerns you may have.
All enquiries are strictly confidential and you do not need a GP referral to make an appointment. To set up an initial consultation or to discuss any questions or concerns you may have please call 020 7730 1242 or mobile - 07985 226216. You can read more on my websites here:
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a fully qualified experienced Psychodynamic psychotherapist having completed a 5 year postgraduate training.
- in addition to my training as a therapist I have a degree in law and politics, an MA in Criminology and a Ph.D in social change and economics.
- I am a mentor with BEAT - the UKS biggest charity supporting people affected by eating disorders and self harm.
- I am committed to my on-going professional development. I offer the best quality therapy I can, tailored to your specific needs, ensuring the best possible outcomes are achieved. I am a member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and a professional member of the Foundation for Psychotherapy and Counselling (FPC) and BACP. All these organisations have strict ethical codes, and professional standards of confidentiality and practice to which I subscribe.
- I am Director at The Courtyard Garden, Psychotherapy and Counselling Practice in Victoria, London. www.thecourtyardgrden.org
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am interested in mindfulness and use elements of the practice in my therapeutic work. Mindfulness encourages people to become aware of themselves; of their experiences, thoughts and feelings, moment by moment. This can help us live in the present and gain perspective on the way we feel and behave.
Further information about my ethos and the practice I work in can be found on my website - www.shilsley.co.uk or my practice site - www.thecourtyardgarden.org.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
I operate a sliding scale of fees dependent on income and the time of day you are able to attend .
- Initial consultation - this is when we meet to discuss together the best way forward.
- Ongoing or short term psychotherapy and counselling sessions range from £60 - £90
- I also offer a number of low cost places - if you are a student or on a low income please contact me for further information.
I am able to offer therapy by Skype and telephone for those unable to attend in person.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work between 7am and 9pm weekdays and 10am - 3pm on a Saturday
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|