Sara State MBACP (Accr.) LLB(Hons)
- I am a BACP Accredited counsellor, psychotherapist, relationship counsellor (dealing with marital and family Dynamics - I work particularly with mother/daughter son/mother issues and narcissistic relationships). I'm also very aware of relationships where things don’t feel right and work with you towards a place where it begins to feel better and that the relationship can work out rather than end. I have worked extensively with relationship issues, anxiety and depression between couples and family members. I have experience of working with couples both in resolution and working towards separation. Relationships are very difficult and often confusing between couples. We work together on the anxieties and fears that can come with this and the best resolutions. I am a trained mediator. I am a children’s therapist incorporating play therapy. I am also a trained supervisor of counsellors. I have extensive experience in individual work, couples and relationship therapy, children’s therapy and group work..I also specialise in anxiety, depression, self esteem issues, bereavement, divorce, trauma, eating disorders, abuse and family/relationship issues focusing on self-esteem, and finding ways to move yours or your children's life on. I Also work as a hypnotherapist on such matters as weight loss, giving up smoking, shyness and anxiety.
I run a very busy private practice where I see couples, individuals and children. I have a private practice room (with free and easy parking directly outside) and can also work with you from your own home via skype, zoom, facetime or the telephone. Although weekly appointments are the way I usually work, if this does not suit you I will try to be as flexible as possible.
i have worked for agencies such as Signpost and Watford Peace Hospice with individual adults dealing with anxiety, depression, abuse and behaviours that were paralysing people from leading the lives they wanted - leading to such issues as anxiety, depression, OCD, and generalised anxiety or fear of living the way you deserve. At The Peace Hospice I dealt with all aspects of bereavement which were often the result of unresolved issues within the family, the relationship or from childhood.
I worked for Hertfordshire County Council as a school counsellor for 5 - 18 year olds. Therefore, I have much experience of working with children (individually and in groups) and dealing with anxiety, anger management, self esteem, eating disorders, bereavement, divorce and all issues relating to bullying and friendship.
I have worked on the phone lines of Family Lives (formerly known as parent line plus) where we advised and worked with adults on a number of issues especially those of relationships, parenting, dealing with self esteem, anxiety, anger and managing relationships in the family. I worked for Mediation in Hertfordshire where we worked towards resolution for the parties involved.
My private practice has included a lot of couples work where we have worked on divorce, separation, step children, step parenting and of course communication skills and many other relationship issues such as self esteem and anxiety to enable the couple to have a better relationship. Affairs and betrayal and the consequences of this are something I have dealt with a lot in my work.
APPROVED INSURANCE WORK: – £80 per session –.
Aetna Global Benefits
Aviva. Vitality Health
AXA PPP healthcare
Training, qualifications & experience
Registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) (Accred)
Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Integrative)
Training & work
- Fully trained, experienced & Accredited Counsellor and Psychotherapist.
- Fully trained and certified supervisor of counsellors.
- Trained Bereavement counsellor for Watford Peace Hospice - adult work
- Trained mediator doing mediation work for Mediation in Hertfordshire - adult/couple work.
- Trained helpline facilitator for ParentlinePlus (now Family Lives) working with individuals, couples and Families.
- Trained Counsellor for Herts County Council schools working with children aged 5-18
- Trained Counsellor for Rape Crisis.
- Trained Counsellor for young people (13-25) for Signpost working with anxiety, stress, anger, eating disorders, Addiction and anything that affects young peoples and thus adults lives.
- NLP Vision BACP endorsed hypnotherapy course.
- OCN Level 4 Trained Counselling Supervisor
Counselling young people and children; Art Therapy in counselling training; Integrative Dip Therapeutic counselling; Rape Crisis training; Peace Hospice Bereavement Training and work; Mediation training and work; Play Therapy Training and work; Family and couples work with Parentlineplus (now Family Lives). Fully Trained Supervisor of Counsellors.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT ME AND THE WAY I WORK
Enhanced CRB check and fully insured.
I attend regular supervision, in line with BACP requirements, to support my work and further my professional development.
I also attend regular CPD (continual professional development) training
Individuals / Children: £60per session (for daytime appointments before 3:00pm). Evening appointments (from 3.00pm) will be charged at £70 per session
Couples: £85 per hour (for daytime appointments before 3:00pm). Evening appointments (from 3:00pm) will be charged at £95 per 1 hour session.
Families : £90 per hour (for daytime appointments before 3.00pm). Evening Appointments (from 3.00pm) will be charged at £100 per 1 hour session
Supervision: £60 per hour £90 for 1 1/2 hr
Insurance £80 per 50 minute session.
Hypnotherapy £80 per session. Including recording of 1 script
Letter/ form writing £25
extra hypnotherapy scripts £4
I am an experienced Accredited BACP counsellor and Psychotherapist and a Qualified Supervisor of Counsellors based in Watford/Bushey (10 minute walk from Bushey Station and 15 minute walk from Watford town centre - 5 minute drive).
I have worked in a wide range of settings working with anxiety and self esteem, bereavement, addiction, domestic abuse, anger management, couples/relationship and parenting issues with a diverse client base. I have worked for Hertfordshire County Council as a child counsellor in their schools.
I believe we all have the capacity for change and that talking can identify patterns of behaviour that may be preventing us from living a more fulfilling life. That anxiety, depression, anger or other strong feelings may be difficult to manage. Often we can feel paralysed by fear, anxiety or just feel stuck and unable to move forward. Therapy can help you look at why you are stuck and what you can do about it And which path you would like to take in the future.
We may feel consumed with such feelings as anxiety, stress, anger, betrayal, uselessnessand and fear (to name just a few) and managing this and exploring where it has come from is often what is needed to help someone become less stuck in a life that they are not able to enjoy. It may feel like we've reached a junction in our life and don't know which way to turn or that we've simply hit rock bottom and now want to make a change. Counselling can help you to look at life in other ways that may be more helpful to you.
Sharing intimate thoughts and feelings can be a daunting prospect. My aim is to offer you a safe, non-judgemental environment, where you can work through your difficulties at your own pace. Whatever you want to discuss is up to you. This will be your time.
You may decide that you only need a few sessions. However, you may also discover that you want more time and that open-ended counselling proves to be more appropriate. The choice is yours.
The hypnotherapy course is usually one of 6 to 8 weeks. This is where you will be in a relaxed atmosphere and we will talk about what is going on for you in your life and then gradually a personalised script will be made for you that will enforce positive change and thinking. You will be sent a recording of this script to work with and keep so that once we have finished working together you will be able to reinforce your new and different way of thinking.
- Online, email or telephone counselling also available