Pete Soper MBACP Reg Member (Dip Couns) AMAC 07341-907301
61 College Road
Hello and thank you for reading.I am a Qualified,Registered and Experienced Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Coach.I offer the first introductory session completely free of charge.
My experience is in seeing clients from varied backgrounds and age groups / genders.Working with bereavement and also within a GP setting,and my own private practices continues to provide me a wide ranging scope of issues that bring clients into therapy, covering issues with relationships in private lives and at work.I am an approved therapist with Anxiety UK and have a special interest in helping clients manage Anxiety.
Typically working with Anxiety, Worry, Stress, Low Self Confidence/Self Esteem, Depression and work matters amongst others. This is also good for my own ongoing personal and professional development, something I take very seriously and continue to train and study.
I'm an Integrative Therapist, using a blend of approaches (but not limited to) Person Centered Counselling, Psychodynamic Counselling, CBT( Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and Solution Focused Counselling and Coaching. These methods use a mixture of working in the here and now, looking at past patterns of relating,working with unconscious drives,types of thinking styles,all are based upon having a good working alliance with each client I see.I have been described as having a friendly open manner.
Are you considering counselling?
At certain times in our lives we could all do with a little extra help when we feel it becomes a strain on our personal wellbeing.
Seeking out good therapy can be very confusing and daunting, this is all very understandable , putting off the idea of seeing a counsellor or therapist until it becomes unbearable. At this point a GP may advise it, try not to let this be you, the sooner you get help very often the better it is for you.
What might you do next?
After your initial free 15 minute telephone consultation we would agree if you wanted to book an assessment session which is 50 minutes duration,where we will discuss what brings you into counselling,I cover how I work from an ethical standpoint and to manage and understand your expectations of counselling too.
I offer unlimited therapy which means you can leave when the time is right for you, I would add however that if this is ever your intention then to let me know in time so that we can try bring your therapy to a safe ending for you.
Some common myths about how therapy works!
Can everyone benefit from therapy?
Everyone who wants to engage in therapy can benefit. Those that struggle to embrace what is on offer will find it challenging. It's important to be ready with an open mind to get the best results you can from your therapy.
My role is not to 'fix' people but to support them throughout their own exploration of what causes them disturbance and to help them find a more suitable way of enjoying and living their lives.
I personally believe that my clients have been helped using my approach. In some instances however not working with the process can actually create a negative experience for clients,if when they really need help their only memory of therapy was a negative one they are less likely to turn to it when they need it the most.
Therapy is like talking to a friend.
It’s important to have friends to talk to, but a therapist is trained to understand these matters more broadly and therefore is able to offer a deeper understanding of human nature in order to move beyond the current situation.
Therapy isn’t working unless you’re in pain.
Therapy can be painted as a painful and agonising process. But this notion glosses over the fact that therapy provides clients with effective coping skills to live a more fulfilling life – and can be very rewarding. Therapy is about understanding yourself and others differently,giving you perspective and learning how to cope with the sorts of things that most people deal with at one point or another: relationship dissatisfaction, loss, anger, stress, anxiety, worry, uncertainty over the future, transitioning from one situation to another, etc. Therapy can help you navigate them more smoothly and set yourself up for success on the other side of it.
We all unconsciously repeat familiar patterns until we make them conscious... and then work through them.
Addressing and resolving issues from the past can be the key to moving forward in the future.
Has that helped a little?
The relationship that is built is the single most important aspect for you to gain benefit. Within this interaction you will work together on exploring the nature of your issues in which you will have ample time to express what is bothering you with out fear of being judged, in a safe and confidential environment.
Recent studies show that more and more people are using talking therapies.
What's offered to me?
As a professional practitioner of Counselling and Psychotherapy I am somebody who really cares about listening to you, somebody who will take great pride and care in helping you understand your thoughts and feelings maybe a little clearer than you are able to do for yourself right now and together we may just be able to help you find a way to change the way you live your life forever.
I am a Registered Member with the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy). The largest of its type in the UK and am also a member of the Association for Coaching and BACP Coaching and Workplace. I currently have professional liability insurance and I undergo regular clinical Supervision and Continuing Professional Development in line with the BACP requirements.
I have a particular interest in Stress Anxiety Worry and Depression and how these affect us in the workplace. I am an Approved Anxiety UK Therapist
I also provide Executive and Business Coaching hours to professional individuals in the corporate field as well as SME's and Sole Traders. I hold the Practioner Diploma in Executive Coaching from London based AoEC( Academy of Executive Coaching). Coaching is something that I do use in client work where deemed appropriate.
I am uniquely positioned to be able to recognise when a client might need therapy as a priority instead of or in addition to coaching,this is something some cannot offer if they are not trained or qualified as I am myself.
This should give you some insight into who I am and what I do, choosing the right therapist is a big decision and one that should not be rushed, visit and speak to a few to get a feel for how you are in their presence,would you work with this person? This is as important if not more important than qualifications and experience..whilst this helps for sure..it is about getting the right fit for yourself at the right time,trust your gut instinct.
Training, qualifications & experience
- CPCAB (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body) Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling.
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Studies
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Skills
- CPCAB Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Bereavement Training (BCBS)
- Psychiatry Update GP Seminar (London Bridge Hospital)
- Couples Counselling (Westmeria)
- Certificate of Proficiency (BACP)
- Practioner Diploma in Executive Coaching (AoEC London)
- Volunteered at Relate(The Relationship People)
- Volunteer Westmeria Counselling and Training College
- Volunteer Executive Coaching Euler Hermes (Canary Wharf)
- Volunteer Coaching for people in business
- Intergrating Coaching into Therapy (BACP Birmingham)
- CBT Diploma (Psychology Academy)
- NICE guidelines and study on anxiety (AnxietyUK)
- Dept of Health Information Governance training
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Coaching For Personal and Business Private and Corporate
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
- 50 minute session face to face £50.
- 10% Discount if before 4pm during the daytime hours.
- Limited concessions for low earners and students/unemployed for daytime appointments From £35-£40(discounts depend on day and time agreed) Proof of status will be required if concessions are made.
- I require a min of 48 hours notice to cancel an agreed session as if not adhered to 50% of session cost is due.100% is charged if less than 24 hours notice given
- I currently have a practice rooms in Bromley, College Road within Bromley Counselling and Bereavement Service and Chislehurst.
- For Bromley practice: Bus Stop directly in front of the building – serving bus routes: 126, 261, 314, 336 & 638 Walking distance from Bromley North & Bromley South Train Stations.My practice is located within Bromley Counselling and Beravement Services.
Why should my registered status matter to clients?
- I belong on the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists,it is a public record of therapists who have met the required standards for registration.These standards cover supervision, training, continuing professional development and a contractual commitment to the BACP ethical framework.
- The main purpose of the register is to protect the public and help you find a therapist you can trust. It aims to reassure clients,employers and the general public that a BACP Registered practitioner,such as myself, adheres to high standards of proficiency,professionalism and good practice.
- the BACP Register was set up in 2012 and was the first psychological therapists' register to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care,an independent body accountable to the government it was set up following the Health and Social Care Act 2012,to over see health regulators such as then General Medical Council.It developed the Accredited Register Scheme to quality assure registered practitioners working across a range of social care settings.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day-Mon 9.30am-4pm,Wed 9.30am-3.30pm,Thu 9.30am-8pmFri 1pm-7pm...evenings are busier but please do call to check availability. Limited reduced rates for daytime appointments.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|