Dr Michele McKenner, Clinical Psychologist
Notting Hill Therapy Clinic
St Charles Hospital
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist with extensive experience of working with adults, children, adolescents and families in a variety of NHS settings.
Alongside my private practice, I work on an NHS inpatient unit for children with complex mental health / neurodevelopmental / emotional & behavioural difficulties.
Until recently, I worked as part of an NHS Community Mental Health Team for adults with severe and enduring mental health needs.
Prior to becoming a clinical psychologist I worked for 13 years as a solicitor, in the City and then in the field of entertainment. I have first hand experience of working in demanding, high powered environments and the impact that these pressures can have on psychological well-being.
My approach is collaborative, respectful and non-judgemental. I aim to support individuals and families to understand their difficulties and improve well-being. Psychological therapy can help you to notice any unhelpful patterns of behaviour or relating to others that may have developed over time and to work on areas of life that feel stuck.
Working with adults:
I work with a broad range of difficulties including depression, anxiety, OCD, relationship difficulties, problems at work, generally feeling stuck in life. As a clinical psychologist I have training in, and experience of working with, a range of therapeutic models / approaches:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), a therapy which aims to maximise your potential to lead a life which is rich and meaningful to you.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which aims to help you manage problems by changing the way you think and behave.
- I can also consider any unhelpful patterns of relating to others that may stem from early childhood experiences (psychodynamic perspective).
- I can support you to identify and acknowledge strengths, knowledge and skills that can help you to confront life's obstacles and build resilience (systemic / narrative perspective).
Working with children, adolescents and families:
I offer support with a range of difficulties including anxiety, low mood, school refusal, difficulty managing emotions, challenging behaviour, parenting strategies, sleep / toileting issues. My work is based on approaches including: CBT, Behavioural Therapy, Systemic Family Therapy, ACT. I have a particular interest in Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC) and have extensive experience of working with children with ASC and of supporting parents to care for children with ASC.
I am trained in the assessment of ASC using both the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS) and the Developmental, Dimensional & Diagnostic Interview (3Di). I aim to be offering multi-disciplinary ASC assessments, working together with a Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist, in my private practice in the near future.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications and memberships:
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) - PYL 33244
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist registered with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from University College London (UCL)
- MSc in Experimental Psychology from University of Sussex
- Qualified solicitor with postgraduate diploma in law and diploma in law from College of Law, London
- BA Hons in French and Italian from University of Oxford, Wadham College
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Initial 30 minute telephone consultation - free
An initial consultation for an individual costs £130 and lasts for 1 hour
An initial consultation for a family (e.g. parent and child) costs £150 and lasts for 1 hour
Subsequent sessions cost £120 and last for 50 minutes
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client