I am a BACP registered counsellor, offering counselling support within York city centre to young people (16+) and adults. Sessions can be Face to Face, via the Telephone or Online.
Perhaps you feel overwhelmed, anxious or confused by recent or past life events. You may feel stuck; finding yourself making the same unhelpful life choices or struggle with relationships, repeating negative patterns. You may need the space to find some self healing and acceptance. It is not my place to tell you what you need to do, rather we will work together to help you find clarity, move forward and regain control.
My aim is to make you feel heard and understood, without judgement. I do this by building a positive therapeutic relationship with you whilst treating you with care and respect. By drawing upon a range of approaches and techniques, you can expect me to provide a safe and confidential space in order for us to explore together what is going on for you.
You can be assured that I work ethically when exploring your thoughts, feelings and emotions, abiding by the BACP framework. I offer calm and warmth, alongside being non-judgemental, to enable you to build upon your own inner resources.
We will use our first session, without obligation, to assess your needs and ascertain your goals of therapy. We may work short or long term, with regular reviews, to ensure that you are getting what you need.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training & Experience
- Counsellor for various charitable organisations during and post qualification
- Counsellor for children with Place2be, working creatively through play
- Working privately with a variety of presenting issues both short and long term.
- Registered member of the BACP
- TA 101 - Introduction to Transactional Analysis - June 2019
- Post Graduate Diploma In Counselling - York St John University 2018
- Certificate In Counselling - York St John University 2016
- Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA) - January 2018
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) - May 2018
- CIPD Intermediate Certificate (Level 5) Merit in HR Practice 2013
- Northern Council for Further Education (NCFE) - Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools 2013
- BA Management (Hons) 2:2 Leeds Trinity & All Saints 1999
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Cancellations subject to full payment if less than 24 hours given
- I aim to accommodate work commitments and holidays
Concessions offered for
Early morning (including Saturdays) and evening sessions available.
My previous background includes leadership roles in both corporate (HR and Finance) and education settings. I therefore have a valuable insight into work related issues such as striving to achieve targets, team dynamics and working relationships. Combine this with other challenges, I can understand how life can feel difficult.
I hold a current Enhanced DBS check