Dr Louise Tarrant

Verified Professional Verified Professional
Verified Professional

Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.

Chartered Clinical Psychologist, D.Clin.Psych, CPsychol
Available for new clients
Available for new clients

This professional is available for new clients.

Bristol, Gloucestershire, BS37 9UQ
Available for new clients
Available for new clients

This professional is available for new clients.

About me

I provide effective therapy for adolescents 16yrs + and adults who are struggling with a range of mental health problems including Depression, Anxiety, Panic, trauma symptoms and grief.  I also specialise in providing therapy for those who are struggling to manage Chronic Pain; I teach pain management strategies and support people to improve their quality of life.

I have over 18 years of experience providing Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT). I have worked in a range of mental health and hospital teams in the NHS and I led a multidisciplinary team within an NHS Pain Clinic for a number of years.

I have specific skills in helping people who are overwhelmed by mental health symptoms or by pain flares and who feel guilty about letting others down due to changes in their abilities.

I often work with people who feel terrified that things will get worse, or who feel confused by contradicting advice on whether to rest more or to 'push through'.

Do you feel like you are in a fight with your mental health or with Chronic Pain? Are you struggling to live life with your symptoms? Is your mental health or Chronic Pain causing you loneliness, hopelessness and stress?

I teach coping and also pain management skills to manage distressing symptoms so you can live life more fully despite chronic pain, depression and anxiety. I will also provide a non-judgemental space to explore other aspects of emotions and relationships that distress and /or pain may be having an impact on.

I provide in-person and online therapy as required in my clinic in Iron Acton, North Bristol .  Please get in touch to enquire about appointments.

I provide a 10 min free telephone call for initial enquiries if needed.

Training, qualifications & experience

I completed a Masters in Applied Psychology in 2000 and a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology in 2006.

I have gained many years of experience working in a range of specialist chronic pain NHS services.

I have undertaken specific training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and in Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT).

I am registered as a Chartered Clinical Psychologist with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC) and the British Psychological Society (BPS).

Member organisations

Registered / Accredited

Registered / Accredited

Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.

Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)

The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.

They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.

Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.

Other areas of counselling I deal with

Chronic Pain and Persistent Pain management. Fibromyalgia, chronic back pain, migraine and headaches, musculoskeletal and joint pains, neurological conditions, CRPS, abdominal pain and gastroenterological conditions, post viral fatigue and Long Covid.


£100.00 per session
Free initial telephone session

Concessions offered for

  • Low income
  • OAPs
  • Students
  • Unemployed

Health Insurance/EAP

  • Aviva
  • Axa Health
  • Vitality
  • WPA
  • Cigna
  • BUPA

Additional information

If helpful I can offer an initial free 10 minute phone call so that you can decide if I am the right person to help you.

All sessions are 60 minutes long and are £100. Concession rates can also be available on request.

I am registered with a number of insurance providers. Please feel free to enquire about this. I need to be made aware in advance if insurance is the intended method of payment.

When I work

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

I offer appointments Mon - Fri between 9.00am - 5.30pm.

Further information

Please see my website for more information.

Or feel free to email me here

Please feel free to get in touch by email or phone if you have any questions.

The Old Rectory Clinic, High Street, Iron Acton, Bristol, Gloucestershire, BS37 9UQ

Type of session

In person

Types of client

Young adults (18-24)
Adults (25-64)
Older Adults (65+)

Key details

DBS check

In England and Wales, the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS, formerly known as CRB) carry out criminal records checks for individuals working with vulnerable groups, such as children. To find out more, visit gov.uk , or contact this professional directly

Wheelchair user access
Wheelchair user access

Wheelchair-accessible premises should have step-free access for wheelchair users and individuals who are unable to climb stairs. If a Counsellor's premises aren't step-free, they may offer alternative services such as telephone/web-based appointments, home visits, or meeting clients in different location, so you can choose the option that suits you best.

You can contact the Counsellor to discuss the options available.

Under the Equality Act 2010 service providers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that individuals with disabilities can access their service. You can read more about reasonable adjustments to help you to access services on the CAB website.

The Old Rectory Clinic in Iron Acton, Bristol has fully accessible ample parking on-site. The waiting room and consulting room are also accessible.

Online platforms

Dr Louise Tarrant
Dr Louise Tarrant