Denise Cooper Gestalt Psychotherapist, EMDR Practitioner and Couples Counsellor
I am based in the North Laines in central Brighton.
I am a psychotherapeutically-trained Counsellor/Psychotherapist with a ‘Humanistic’ orientation. I am based in comfortable rooms just five minutes walk from Brighton Station.
I have experience working with individuals, small groups and couples across a range of different issues including stress, anxiety, depression, loss, life changes, anger management, childhood abuse, and trauma among others.
I am also an Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) practitioner, which is a specialist therapeutic technique which helps us process and overcome traumatic experiences.
Relationships can sometimes feel stuck and communication can become difficult. A couples therapist can offer insight and a safe place to explore difficult issues. I work in a systemic none blaming way to help couples explore difficult issues.
I recognise it can be hard to make sense of all the Counselling and Psychotherapy options out there, and it’s really important to find the right person for you. For this reason, I suggest you book a single starter session - with no obligation to come again.This helps you decide whether we are a ‘good fit’ and gives us a chance to discuss what you’d like to get from the therapeutic experience.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a number of years experience in both private practice and in voluntary organisations. These are my qualifications:
MSc in Humanistic 'Gestalt'-orientated psychotherapy from Metanoia Institute.
Foundation in Systemic Family Therapy from Northumbria University.
Diploma in Couples Counselling from AYA.
MA in Social Work from Bristol University.
As a therapist:
- My experience allows me to complete an in-depth assessment to identify which type of therapy would best suit you
- I have a range of knowledge and expertise which allows me to be flexible in the way I work.
- I have experience both working short term and longer term.
-I have a particular expertise in childhood abuse and neglect and how these can impact us in adulthood.
- I have in-depth knowledge and skill with Anxiety which includes: Generalised Anxiety Disorders, social anxiety and panic attacks.
-I work people who have experienced trauma and help them overcome the difficult symptoms they may be facing.
- I work with couples to explore the wide range of issues they may bring to therapy and facilitate resolution.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
All sessions last for 50 minutes unless otherwise advised.
Individual Sessions – £50.00
Student Sessions – £45.00
Couple Sessions – £60.00
Skype Sessions – £50.00
Online Sessions – £50.00
Group Session Costs available on request.
For further information please look at our website: kernelcounselling.co.uk.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work from Monday to Thursday and have some evening availability
Types of client