K. Lea Schmitt-Eschle Child & Adolescent Counsellor (MBACP) Dip.CC, MA.Psy (FRG)
Sometimes life can be difficult. Not only we as parents but also our children and young people can go through phases where not everything is going to plan. And sometimes those challenging situations can become especially difficult for our children. They might react by becoming angry, anxious, withdrawn, a bit more challenging or develop difficulties at school. Sometimes they also struggle to find good friends, put themselves at risk or their physical health becomes affected. Often this happens because they have not found a way to understand, express and process their feelings. Considering counselling for your child might be daunting, but in these situations it is really useful to support our children to make sense of what is happening for them. The affordable counselling and therapeutic support I offer can help with the children's and young people's problems at hand and it is also effective if the difficulties your child encounters have become more serious.
In my counselling sessions I offer children and young people with a variety of difficulties an opportunity to express themselves through creative arts media such as clay, paint, role play, puppetry, sand tray work as well as reflective dialogue. I provide an integrative approach combining aspects of play therapy, psychotherapeutically informed support, newest neuroscientific research and young people's counselling.
By exploring the themes that matter to them in a playful, methaphoric way we find ways to understand and work through feelings, address worries and anxieties and gently find a way to cope better with what is happening for your child or teen. Working through the themes with the help of toys or art materials often makes it easier to connect with the issues at hand because it does not make it necessary to speak directly about their concerns at first. The aim is for them to to feel heard and understood and thus to slowly be enabled to work through their difficulties. This is how they learn to make sense of their motivations and circumstances and begin to develop more effective coping strategies. This can also help address more serious mental health problems like self harm. eating disorders, anxiety, depression obsessive or oppositional defiant behavior.
I meet every child and in their own world and aim to accompany them through this journey. I offer a safe, confidential and non-judgemental space in my home clinic in Brentwood within easy reach from Brentwood station where I have a fully equipped play room/therapy room available. I have experience in long term and short term counselling and am able to adapt the length of our work to the needs of your child.
My dedication to this work is reflected in the extensive training I have taken over the years: My qualifications include an MA in Child Psychiatry and Social Psychology (FRG), a Postgraduate Certificate in Integrative Child Psychotherapy Studies, a Diploma in Child Counselling and a Diploma in the Application of Art in Therapy and Education. My training has provided me with a deep understanding of the psychology and neurobiology of child mental health and I am trained in the assessment, diagnosis, management and therapeutic intervention in the work with children.
It is likely that you are looking for support at a difficult time. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you think I could be of any help. I offer a first assessment for 20 £. We can then arrange an initial session to see how that feels for you and your child and decide on a way forward.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Child Counselling at the Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education, London.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Integrative Child Psychotherapy Studies at the Institute for Art in Therapy and Education, London Metropolitan University
- Advanced Diploma in the Application of Arts in Therapy and Education at the Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education, London.
- MA in Social Sciences at Georg-August University Göttingen/Germany. Subjects: Pre-school education of children until the age of 6, Children’s Psychiatry, Psychology and Sociology.
- I have 5 years experience providing long-and short term counselling at Place2Be, in several schools and for St. Luke's Children's Counselling Service Basildon.
- I have 20 years experience working in numerous childcare settings. This includes nurseries, schools, youth clubs and a children's secure unit.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
£45 per session.
I am able to provide counselling sessions in English and German.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||English, German|
I work in private practice from home in a fully equipped playroom providing arts and crafts materials, toys, puppets, sand tray, and clay.
I am able to adapt to the children's and young people's needs. Presently I am able to offer sessions on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays between 16.00 and 20.00 and on Saturdays.
Types of client