Julie Maxwell MSc, Accredited Sex & Relationship Therapist
I am an experienced and accredited (BACP & COSRT), Relate-trained counsellor in Ashby de la Zouch, who specialises in relationship and couples counselling (previously known as marriage guidance), individual counselling and psychosexual therapy (or sex therapy) for individuals and couples of any age, gender and sexual orientation. I am also an EMDR and Mindfulness practitioner, and clinical supervisor.
I have over 18 years of experience in assisting clients with their mental, emotional and physical wellbeing.
Here are some of the issues I work with:
- Relationships - for example: repetitive arguments, poor communication, broken trust, affairs, relationship breakdown, lack of support, taking each other for granted, unable to move forward or plan ahead, divorce or separation, impact of addictions (ie porn or sex).
- Intimacy: sexual function and sexual feelings (please see my website for specific conditions).
- Sexual abuse and childhood sexual abuse.
- Relationships with family, friends or colleagues.
- Grief and loss.
- The aftermath of suicide.
- Low self-esteem and confidence.
- Health, wellbeing and dealing with illness.
- Loss of direction, meaning and purpose.
- Angry or violent outbursts.
Acknowledging a problem can be difficult and asking for help isn't always easy, so if you would like to discuss how counselling or sex therapy could assist you then please phone me for a free 15 minute consultation.
As a therapist, I recognise that you may not find it easy to talk to a stranger about your problems. Giving voice to our problems makes them real and sometimes we don't even know how they came about, let alone how to feel better about ourselves or the situation we find ourselves in. I will provide you with a caring, supportive and confidential environment in which we will look at, and find a way through, the problems you are experiencing (either individually or as a couple). And, don't worry, you won't be coerced into doing or saying anything you don't want to - I feel passionate about empowering you to make changes that you identify to create a more fulfilling life.
As a supervisor, I offer clinical supervision and support to counsellors and other staff working in healthcare or the caring professions. I provide supervision from my practice in Ashby de la Zouch or in the workplace.
Training, qualifications & experience
Here are my qualifications:
- MSc (with Merit) in Psychosexual Therapy (University of Central Lancashire).
- University Advanced Diploma in Couple Counselling (Relate Institute, University of Hull).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Relationship Therapy - Psychosexual Therapy (Relate Institute, University of Hull).
- Relate Counsellor Graduate Certificate.
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision (Relate Institute).
- EMDR Training (Richman EMDR Training).
- Level 4 Certificate in Integrating Mindfulness and Compassion in Professional Practice.
- Certificate in Coaching (Your Business in Mind).
- Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (University of Derby).
And a bit of additional information...
- The NHS Psychosexual Service Lead for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
- A registered and accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
- An accredited member of the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT).
- A member of the EMDR Association UK & Ireland (EMDR Association UK & Ireland).
- BUPA registered.
- Am DBS checked (enhanced).
- Hold full professional indemnity insurance.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£70.00 per session
Monday and Tuesday daytime and evening appointments are available.
About the sessions...
The first session will be an assessment of your situation, so that we can decide on the best way forward for you.
It is likely that you will attend weekly, however fortnightly appointments are possible, depending on your needs. One-off sessions are also available.
I offer appointments on Monday and Tuesday daytimes and evenings.
It is impossible to say how many sessions you will need - that decision is yours. However, clients typically attend between 6 and 20.