Julie Maxwell, Accredited Sex & Relationship Therapist
I am an experienced and accredited (BACP & COSRT), Relate-trained counsellor in Ashby de la Zouch, who specialises in relationship and couples counselling (previously known as marriage guidance), individual counselling and psychosexual therapy (or sex therapy) for individuals and couples of any age, gender and sexual orientation. I am also an EMDR and Mindfulness practitioner, and clinical supervisor.
I have over 16 years of experience in assisting clients with their mental, emotional and physical wellbeing.
Here are some of the issues I work with:
- Relationships - for example: repetitive arguments, poor communication, broken trust, affairs, relationship breakdown, lack of support, taking each other for granted, unable to move forward or plan ahead, divorce or separation, impact of addictions (ie porn or sex).
- Marriage preparation.
- Intimacy: sexual function and sexual feelings (please see my website for specific conditions).
- Sexual abuse and childhood sexual abuse.
- Non-consummation of marriage.
- Relationships with family, friends or colleagues.
- Grief and loss.
- The aftermath of suicide.
- Low self-esteem and confidence.
- Health, wellbeing and dealing with illness.
- Life stage transition.
- Loss of direction, meaning and purpose.
- Angry or violent outbursts.
Acknowledging a problem can be difficult and asking for help isn't always easy, so if you would like to discuss how counselling or sex therapy could assist you then please phone me for a free 15 minute consultation.
As a therapist, I recognise that you may not find it easy to talk to a stranger about your problems. Giving voice to our problems makes them real and sometimes we don't even know how they came about, let alone how to feel better about ourselves or the situation we find ourselves in. I will provide you with a caring, supportive and confidential environment in which we will look at, and find a way through, the problems you are experiencing (either individually or as a couple). And, don't worry, you won't be coerced into doing or saying anything you don't want to - I feel passionate about empowering you to make changes that you identify to create a more fulfilling life.
As a supervisor, I offer clinical supervision and support to counsellors and other staff working in healthcare or the caring professions. I provide supervision from my practice in Ashby de la Zouch or in the workplace.
Training, qualifications & experience
Here are my qualifications:
- University Advanced Diploma in Couple Counselling (Relate Institute, University of Hull).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Relationship Therapy - Psychosexual Therapy (Relate Institute, University of Hull).
- Relate Counsellor Graduate Certificate.
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision (Relate Institute).
- EMDR Training (Richman EMDR Training).
- Level 4 Certificate in Integrating Mindfulness and Compassion in Professional Practice.
- Certificate in Coaching (Your Business in Mind).
- Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (University of Derby).
And a bit of additional information...
- A registered and accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
- An accredited member of the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT).
- A member of the EMDR Association UK & Ireland (EMDR Association UK & Ireland).
- The NHS Psychosexual Service Lead for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
- BUPA registered.
- Am DBS checked (enhanced).
- Hold full professional indemnity insurance.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
About the sessions...
The first session will be an assessment of your situation, so that we can decide on the best way forward for you.
It is likely that you will attend weekly, however fortnightly appointments are possible, depending on your needs. One-off sessions are also available.
I offer appointments on Monday and Tuesday daytimes and evenings.
It is impossible to say how many sessions you will need - that decision is yours. However, clients typically attend between 6 and 20.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday and Tuesday daytime and evening appointments are available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Working in the caring professions means that, as practitioners, we all need help and support at some time.