Joanne Strong MSc MBACP
Counselling can provide you with the space to explore and understand yourself at times when you need a supportive environment in which to work through whatever is happening in your life. Therapy can help you to develop new skills and strategies to help you cope and thrive.
I am an experienced and accredited counsellor and psychotherapist. I will help you to explore what is happening for you, and support you in finding ways to move forward. Counselling can help you to understand yourself, find new ways to cope, and enhance your relationships with others and with yourself. My training is Integrative which means I draw from a number of approaches, to meet and assist each individual I work with in the most suitable way. This might include:
- Exploring your current challenges, relationships, thoughts, feelings and emotions to gain new insight and perspectives
- Understanding and working with difficult feelings such as anxiety and depression
- Exploring past experiences, to understand how the past is holding you back
- Discovering habitual patterns: being able to 'step back' and see what loops and patterns you might be caught in. Awareness brings choice and the possibility of doing things differently, finding a way out of destructive or limiting patterns
- Reflecting on life experiences and finding personal meaning to help you move on and enter into life in a deeper, more satisfying way.
For me, the heart of counselling is about being alongside: helping you to look at and explore yourself, to help you connect with yourself, life and others at a deeper level.
Counselling can help with:
Relationship issues & family issues, anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder, depression or feeling sad, panic attacks, separation & divorce, postnatal issues including depression, abuse, redundancy, loss & bereavement, illness and coming to terms with a medical diagnosis and any issue which has left you feeling confused, overwhelmed or out of touch with yourself.
Initially, I suggest meeting for an hour, to explore what is prompting you to seek counselling, to understand what you are looking for and to see if we think we can work well together. If we decide to go ahead, I usually recommend 6-8 weekly sessions of 50 minutes, with the possibility of working longer term if that seems appropriate.
Training, qualifications & experience
I hold an MSc degree (with Distinction) in Therapeutic Counselling from the University of Greenwich. I have also received training in guiding individuals and groups in meditation and mindfulness. I am a registered and accredited member of the BACP (MBACP).
As well as private practice, I work in the NHS as a counsellor in a GP practice, working with individuals experiencing anxiety, low self-esteem, depression, relationship issues and bereavement/loss. I am also part of the assessment team at a charitable service, working with potential clients to establish how best to meet their therapeutic needs.
I have experience of working both short term & long term, helping individuals find insight and develop new strategies and life skills.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Existential therapy
- Humanistic therapies
I charge £50 for regular, weekly 50 minute sessions.
Initial meetings to explore working together are charged at £50 for 50 minutes.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer evening appointments up to 9pm as well as daytime appointments .
Types of client