Jo Derry Registered MBACP (Accred).
I am an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist. I will consistently work with you to build a strong and supportive therapeutic relationship so that you can feel safe and trusting enough to discuss and explore whatever is going on for you.
Perhaps you have experienced thoughts, feelings, situations or relationship challenges which have caused inner turmoil or anxiety. These may be long-term and may have lead to negative patterns of behaviour. I am here to listen and will not judge what you have to say. I'm here to help you make sense of the things that you feel and to help you to make your own choices about how you move forward in your life.
I know that through exploration and challenge of thoughts and feelings, self awareness can be developed, resolutions can be found, things can change.
You can trust that I will act in your best interests at all times and adhere to the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions (updated 01/07/18).
Please do get in touch and we can arrange a telephone conversation prior to agreeing a first session. During this conversation we can talk about the 'headlines' of your concerns, how we can work together and I can answer any initial questions you may have.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Fully trained, experienced and Accredited counsellor and psychotherapist. I have a particular interest in working with adult clients experiencing concerns related to all types of abuse. I am a specialist Counsellor working for Women & Girl's Network seeing clients who have experienced gender-based violence/abuse. I also regularly work with clients facing anxiety, panic, stress-related problems, self-esteem and confidence issues and relationship issues.
- Trained and experienced Counsellor of young people (aged 11-25 years) I have worked for Signpost Youth Counselling Service as well as SafeSpace (Herts County Council Counselling in Schools Service) working with young people affected by anxiety symptoms, stress, anger issues, eating disorders, sexuality issues, gender-based violence, relationship problems and other issues affecting young people's lives.
- I have a Diploma in Childhood Bereavement and am experienced counsellor working with children, young people and families who are bereaved or facing the life limiting illness of someone important in their lives. I have been part of the Supportive Care Teams at Peace Hospice Care and The Hospice of St Francis, Berkhamsted.
- Experienced specialist bereavement counsellor. I have vast experience in this field and have worked with adult clients at St Albans City & District Bereavement Service, Rickmansworth Bereavement Service, Peace Hospice Care, Watford and The Hospice of St Francis, Berkhamsted. I am also experienced in working with adult clients who are facing a life limiting illness personally or of someone important in their lives.
- I use mindfulness practices with clients, encouraging non-judgemental attention to the present moment.
- Trainer of courses/workshops on Childhood Grief, Loss and Bereavement.
- Trained and experienced bereavement helpline facilitator.
- NLP Vision BACP endorsed hypnotherapy course.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£55 per session.
Some concessions available. Please do talk to me if payment is a concern.