Jo Derry Registered MBACP (Accred).
I am an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist. I will consistently work with you to build a strong and supportive therapeutic relationship so that you can feel safe and trusting enough to discuss and explore whatever is going on for you.
Perhaps you have experienced thoughts, feelings, situations or relationship challenges which have caused inner turmoil or anxiety. These may be long-term and may have lead to negative patterns of behaviour. I am here to listen and will not judge what you have to say. I'm here to help you make sense of the things that you feel and to help you to make your own choices about how you move forward in your life.
I know that through exploration and challenge of thoughts and feelings, self awareness can be developed, resolutions can be found, things can change.
You can trust that I will act in your best interests at all times and adhere to the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions (updated 01/07/18).
Please do get in touch and we can arrange a telephone conversation prior to agreeing a first session. During this conversation we can talk about the 'headlines' of your concerns, how we can work together and I can answer any initial questions you may have.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Fully trained, experienced and Accredited counsellor and psychotherapist. I have a particular interest in working with adult clients experiencing concerns related to all types of abuse. I also regularly work with clients facing anxiety, panic, stress-related problems, self-esteem and confidence issues and relationship issues.
- Trained and experienced Counsellor of young people (aged 11-25 years) I have worked for Signpost Youth Counselling Service working with young people affected by anxiety symptoms, stress, anger issues, eating disorders, sexuality issues, relationship problems and other issues affecting young people's lives.
- I have a Diploma in Childhood Bereavement and am experienced counsellor working with children, young people and families who are bereaved or facing the life limiting illness of someone important in their lives. I have been part of the Supportive Care Teams at Peace Hospice Care and The Hospice of St Francis, Berkhamsted.
- Experienced specialist bereavement counsellor. I have vast experience in this field and have worked with adult clients at St Albans City & District Bereavement Service, Rickmansworth Bereavement Service, Peace Hospice Care, Watford and The Hospice of St Francis, Berkhamsted. I am also experienced in working with adult clients who are facing a life limiting illness personally or of someone important in their lives.
- I use mindfulness practices with clients, encouraging non-judgemental attention to the present moment.
- Trainer of courses/workshops on Childhood Grief, Loss and Bereavement.
- Trained and experienced bereavement helpline facilitator.
- NLP Vision BACP endorsed hypnotherapy course.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
£55 per session.
Some concessions available. Please do talk to me if payment is a concern.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
There are 2 steps up to the front door. My counselling room is on the ground floor.
I offer daytime and evening sessions.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|