Jessica Woolliscroft EMDR Europe & UKCP Accred. Consultant & Supervisor.
I am a fully qualified and accredited psychotherapist who has worked in the field of psychology and psychotherapy since 1983. I specialise in the assessment and treatment of complex trauma in adults both for the NHS and in private practice. Complex trauma may result from neglect and abuse in childhood or from difficult experiences in adult life.
I offer psychotherapy, trauma counselling, EMDR, clinical supervision and training.
My therapeutic approach is truly integrative and includes insights from humanistic, psychodynamic and body psychotherapy approaches. This means that you do not have to fit into a narrow way of doing things, because we work collaboratively to find the therapeutic approach that makes sense to you and supports your own healing process. I maintain a professional practice by working to the Codes of Ethics of my professional accrediting bodies, making good use of regular supervision, ongoing training, collaboration with peers in the field and research.
I have worked with clients seeking to recover from all sorts of traumatic incidents. Sometimes we use a highly structured time limited approach and at other times wew work with trauma memories as part of a more openended psychotherapeutic approach, paying particular attention to the quality of the therapeutic relationship.This is sometimes necessary when a person has lived through years of chaotic and distressing experiences where betrayal has played a major role. Below are listed some examples of the kinds of traumatic experiences clients have brought to therapy over the years:
Rape - including date rape, drug rape and childhood sexual abuse
Sudden death of a loved one
Bullying – including racist, homophobic, sexist and workplace bullying
Workplace difficulties - including whistle blowing
‘Acts of God’ /’Acts of Nature’ such as house fires, floods
Illness – and treatment for illness.
I am available for psychotherapy and trauma therapy consultations. I also undertake psychotherapeutic assessments for medico - legal purposes regarding PTSD. I am available to consult to other professionals regarding appropriate treatment for psychological trauma referrals.
My website gives more information about my work and general guidance on 'Coping with Crisis', EMDR and trauma work, and 'Making Therapy safe for Clients'.
If you are looking for ethical and affordable therapy Brightstone Clinic may be able to match you with the right therapist. I am a co founder and Director of the Clinic which provides therapeutic spaces to a variety of different practitioners in talking therapies, complementary therapies, EMDR, child and family therapy. Go to www.brightstoneclinic.co.uk to find out more.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc Psychological Trauma (Distinction) 2011
- Qualified EMDR Consultant Completed Parts I, II and III Europe Accredited EMDR Training to Consultant level, which means I can supervise EMDR practitioners towards accreditation(EMDR is a recognised psychological therapy for trauma and is also effective for anxiety, phobias and grief).
- MSc Psychology 2004
- Diploma in Counselling Supervision - 2000
- Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy - 5 year training - 1991
- BSc (Hons) Psychology 1983
- EMDR Europe Accredited Consultant and supervisor
- Accredited EMDR Practitioner EMDR UK and Ireland.EMDR
- Accredited Gestalt Psychotherapist UK Association for Humanistic Psychology Practitioners UKAHPP - My professional body and 'home'. Sets standards for good practice and continuing professional development.
- Registered Psychotherapist UK Council for Psychotherapy UKCP - National registering body holds directory of registered psychotherapists in UK.
- Graduate Member of British Psychological Society BPS - open to holders of academic psychology qualifications.
- Member of the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation ISSTD - Specialist organisation promoting research and good practice in the field of psychological trauma.
- Member of Register of Trauma Specialists.
- Feb 2012 to date - Private Practice as trauma psychotherapist and Director of Brightstone Community Interest Company www.brightstonecic.org - a not for profit company offering affordable, ethical and accessible counselling.
- 2000 to Feb 2012 - Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CWP). Assessment and treatment of complex trauma in adults.
- 1991 to 2000 - Private Psychotherapy Practice, London.
- 1992 to 1995 - Social Researcher and Executive Officer, The Bishops of London Social Responsibility Committee (The London Churches Group).
- 1990 to 1992 - Director, Islington MIND.
- 1987 to 1990 - Deputy Director/Training CoOrdinator, St.Martin of Tours Specialist Housing Association for Ex- Offenders.
- 1985 to 1987 - Project Manager, Therapeutic Community for Recovering Alcoholics, The Richmond Fellowship.
- 1983 to 1985 - Trainee Scholar, Therapeutic Community for Adults, The Richmond Fellowship.
- Member of UKAHPP Board of Directors 2010 to 2012
- Member of UKAHPP Ethics Committee 2010 to 2012
- Member of EMDR UK & I Post Traumatic Growth and Resilience Special Interest Group.
- From 2000 to 2009 CoOrdinator of the Childhood Sexual Abuse Focus Group for East Cheshire - a clinical network with representatives from NHS, voluntary and private sectors all working together to improve services, staff supervision, training and research to help survivors of childhood sexual abuse in their recovery.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Dissociative Identity Disorder
My fees are £90 for a 60 minute session.
Medico- legal fees are by arrangement.
Availability - 8.30am (earliest session starts ) till 8.15pm (latest session ends)
Please contact me for my up to date availability as it changes from week to week as clients recover.
First session starts 8.00am last session ends 8.15pm Please contact me for availability as it changes from week to week as clients recover and move on.
How might psychotherapy or trauma counselling help you?
I am experienced in helping people who are having difficulties with :
Coping with stress
Rebuilding their lives after trauma
Understanding the meaning of depression and overcoming it
Low self esteem
Transforming hurtful relationships
Resolving confusion and questions about identity
Coping with life stage issues (such as divorce, relocation or illness)
Shock following on from overwhelming events
And making sense of painful, repetitive and unhelpful experiences.
If you are having difficulties in an area that is not mentioned above, please feel free to contact me. We may well be able to work together.If not, then I am often able to refer to a service that would be more suitable for you.