Helene Igwebuike Emotionally Focused Couple Counsellor Dip (Rel Couns) MBACP
116 Judd Street
Winchmore Hill Friends Meeting House
59 Church Hill
As a certified emotionally focused therapist and specialist relationship counsellor, I am genuinely committed to supporting couples and individuals in healing and transforming relationships with oneself and others by restoring emotional closeness, physical intimacy, personal and relationship well-being. My goal is to create a warm non-judgmental oasis where you can safely share your thoughts and feelings and experience interacting with a deeper level of understanding and responsiveness that dissolves issues and strengthens relationships. I help couples open up and experience sharing, communicating and interacting in new ways that allow for more closeness and intimacy.
Sometimes when it feels too late to heal the hurt or your relationship feels quite shaky, couple counselling can provide the much needed personal and relationship support. You can recover or discover what is missing from your relationship and work towards creating an emotionally and physically fulfilling relationship. Or you may need support to heal emotionally after a betrayal or separation.
I am of mixed heritage and moved to London from Denmark in 1997 to pursue postgraduate degrees in Information Systems and Journalism respectively, and then stayed on to live and work as a Web Editor. Having personally experienced the benefits of couple counselling, I decided to retrain as a counsellor from 2003.
The way I work
In my therapeutic practice, I use an integrative model incorporating elements of Psychodynamic, Integrative Behavioural Couple Therapy (IBCT) and Gerald Egan's 'Skilled Helper' models, while specialising in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), an experiential attachment-based and systemic approach that focuses on accessing and healing emotions and strengthening relational bonds by facilitating new ways of talking and responding to significant others.
The goals of EFT are to go within and process the emotions that drive each partner's habitual responses and facilitate heart-to-heart bonding conversations that redefine the relationship as safe and secure. Emotion is the key agent of change as we are driven by the emotions we feel inside and intellectual insight isn't sufficient in creating lasting change.
I work with couples and individuals in a safe supportive and contained environment that fosters the emotional safety needed to:
- Make sense of what is going on inside you and between you
- Perceive yourself and your partner differently and appreciate the impact you have on each other
- Talk, listen, understand and share your deeper feelings and emotions in a different way that pulls you closer
- Understand, accept and more freely express different aspects of yourself
- Feel secure enough assert your needs from a place of openness and vulnerability that allows your partner to hear and respond without feeling judged, angry, resentful, unappreciated, inadequate, incompetent, criticised or blamed
- Heal emotionally from losing or letting go of a significant relationship.
Of course counselling isn’t a magic cure and while a counsellor facilitates healing and change, it requires that you are both willing to change and committed to working on yourself and your relationship. I can support you in undertaking a journey of exploration that takes you right to the heart of your issues. I work with the neutrality, specialist knowledge, skills and experience needed to heal emotions and transform relationships. Everything discussed is strictly confidential and handled with warmth, care and sensitivity.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Lifetime Member of the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Certification in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Externship in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples (ICEEFT)
- EFT Core Skills Advanced Training (ICEEFT)
- Emotion-Focused Psychotherapy for Individuals Level 1 & 2 (University of Strathclyde, Glasgow)
- Foundations of Systemic Practice Applications and Skills (Sutton Systems Group)
- Integrative Behavioural Couple Therapy (IBCT): Including Couple Therapy for Depression
(Prudence Skynner Family & Couple Therapy Clinic, Springfield University Hospital)
- Diploma in Relationship Counselling (York St John University)
- Certificate in Relationship Counselling (York St John University)
- Certificate in Person-Centred Counselling Skills (Mary Ward Centre)
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) Practitioner Training (nlpNorth East)
I am committed to continuing professional development training especially within the field of EFT and undertake extensive monthly supervision.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Separation and divorce
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for couples and individuals in person or online by Skype.
I offer counselling sessions in person and online by Skype for couples and individuals who live too far from my consultaton venues and these virtual sessions work really well provided we have an initial face to face meeting.
Counselling 4 Couples Enfield venue is very near Winchmore Hill Rail Station at:
- Winchmore Hill Friends Meeting House, 59 Church Hill, Winchmore Hill, London, N21 1LE
- Daytime and evening Skype counselling sessions are available worldwide.
Counselling 4 Couples King's Cross venue:
My consultation room in Kings Cross Central London is only 3 minutes walk from Kings Cross station (Euston Road British Library exit) at:
Helios, 116 Judd Street, Kings Cross, London, WC1H 9NS
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime, evening and night sessions, including Skype sessions.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a person-centred clinical supervisor, as well as a Certified Emotionally Focused Therapist & an Emotionally Focused Therapy Candidate Supervisor.View supervision profile