I work according to the individual and their presenting issues offering both short-term counselling or longer therapy for trauma and more deep-rooted, historical issues.
My particular areas of experience are in anxiety, stress and depression and their related issues such as; panic, loneliness, shame and the self critic. I am also a qualified trauma therapist, trained to treat PTSD (according to UK/NICE Guidelines), complex trauma and complicated grief.
With specific issues and behaviour patterns, I often use CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). The idea is that by identifying the triggers and finding balanced alternatives, clients become their own experts, creating a psychological toolbox that can continue to be of use long after our therapy has stopped. With stress, anxiety and rumination I integrate Mindfulness-Based CBT, and for PTSD & Type 1 trauma I am qualified in Trauma-Focused CBT.
My specialist therapeutic interest is in Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), a type of psychotherapy which is particularly beneficial for those who suffer from high levels of shame and self-criticism. It draws from a combination of therapies and modalities; the best elements of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy; Buddhist and mindfulness philosophies; attachment theory; and neuroscience. The 'compassionate' part means developing the courage to alleviate ones own suffering (and that of others). To learn to exist with a sense of safeness, calm and well-being, and be the best version of yourself it is possible to be.
On the days I am not in private practice, I have a part-time, long-term counselling post in the NHS and an affiliate role for a national trauma company.
For more information please contact me
Training, qualifications & experience
- PG Cert: Traumatic Stress Studies - University of Reading/Charlie Waller Institute
- PG Cert: Compassion Focused Therapy - University of Derby
- Mental Health First Aid England - Qualified Instructor
- Advanced Diploma Integrative Humanistic Counselling - Dartmoor Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Diploma: Creative CBT - Dartmoor Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Certificate in Counselling - CPCAB level 3
- Beginners & Intermediate Counselling Skills & Theory (LOCN)
Specialist Training & Qualifications:
*Deb Dana Polyvagal Skills and Supervision Group (6 month training)
Foundation Skills in Applying Polyvagal Theory in Practice
- Compassion Focused Therapy for Groups
- Working with Panic Disorder - CBT (BPS approved)
- Mindfulness Skills for Groups and Individuals
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency
- Obesity, Overeating & Weight Management Group Therapy training using CBT & Transactional Analysis
- ABC Awareness in Bereavement Care ( via Cruse Bereavement Care)
- Pathway to Drugs Work (LOCN)
- CPD in Trauma; Working With Trauma (2 parts), Working With Relational Trauma, working with Suicide and Suicidal Ideation, Compassion Focused Therapy for Shame-Based Trauma, Helping Elder Adults Following Trauma & Loss, Working with Traumatised Children, Young People & Families
- NHS: Staff Counsellor in Occupational Health for a Devon NHS Foundation Trust (since 2013)
- Trauma Therapist - Outreach trauma specialist and nationally online (since 2016)
- Counsellor in Private Practice (since 2012)
- Groupwork-Over-Eating, Group therapist for issues with over-eating, obesity and weight management using CBT and Transactional Analysis interventions.
- Substance Misuse: In-house counsellor for a supported housing project for homeless persons and ex-offenders in recovery from substance misuse.
- Cruse Bereavement Care - covering South Devon.
- West London Drug Project, Providing support for clients misusing drugs and alcohol.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£45 per hour.
The first assessment session is £25.
£40 online or by phone
For more information please contact me
Thursday & Friday morning until early afternoon
Please note I am working online and UK-wide only at the moment.
In person assessments available on request. I hope to resume face-to-face in early 2022.
I am a member of the BACP, hold a BACP Certificate in Proficiency and am on their Register. I adhere to their ethical framework.
Member of UKPTS - UK Psychological Trauma Society