Harriet Mellor (Registered MBACP)
5A Fore Street
I work according to the individual, offering both short-term solution focused counselling (typically 6-8 sessions) or longer therapy for more deep-rooted and historical issues.
Under that large umbrella, my particular areas of experience are in anxiety, stress and depression and their related emotions like panic, loneliness, isolation and self-loathing. I also work a lot with trauma and particularly traumatic and complicated grief.
With specific issues and behaviour patterns, I include quite a bit of CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). The idea is that by identifying the triggers and finding balanced alternatives, clients become their own experts, creating a psychological toolbox that can continue to be of use long after our therapy has stopped.
My specialist therapeutic area is in Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), a type of psychotherapy which is particularly beneficial for those who suffer from high levels of shame and self-criticism. It draws from a combination of therapies and modalities; the best elements of Cognitive Behavourial Therapy; Buddhist and mindfulness philosophies; Attachment theory; and neuroscience. The Compassionate part means developing the courage to alleviate ones own suffering (and that of others). To learn to exist with sense of safeness, calm and well-being, and be the best version of yourself it is possible to be.
I am an integrative therapist with a part-time, long-term counselling post in the NHS and an affiliate role for a national trauma company.
For more information please contact me
Training, qualifications & experience
- PG Cert Traumatic Stress Studies - University of Reading (Charlie Waller Institute) in progress
- PG Cert In Compassion Focused Therapy - University of Derby
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Humanistic Counselling - Dartmoor Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Diploma In Creative CBT - Dartmoor Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy
Certificate in Counselling - CPCAB level 3
Beginners & Intermediate Counselling Skills & Theory (LOCN)
Specialist Training & Qualifications:
- Mindfulness Skills for Groups and Individuals
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency
- Obesity, Overeating & Weight Management training with Lighterlife Ltd
- ABC Awareness in Bereavement Care
- Pathway to Drugs Work (LOCN)
- 2014/2015/2016 CPD in Trauma; Working With Trauma (2 parts), Working With Relational Trauma, working with Suicide and suicidal ideation, Compassion Focused Therapy for Trauma
- NHS Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital NHS Staff Counsellor in Occupational Health
- ASSIST Trauma Care - Outreach trauma specialist
- Counsellor in Private Practice
- LighterLife, Telephone group therapist for issues with over-eating, obesity and weight management using CBT and Transactional Analysis interventions. Previously face-to-face group counsellor in their Exeter Centre.
- The Jatis Project, Torquay - in-house counsellor in a supported housing project for homeless persons and ex-offenders in recovery from substance misuse.
- Cruse Bereavement Care - covering South Devon.
- The Blenheim Project, London W11 - Drop-in support for clients misusing drugs and alcohol.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Compassionate Focused Therapy
£40 per hour.
The first session is £20.
Some concessions are available.
For more information please contact me
I am a member of the BACP, hold a BACP Certificate in Proficiency and am on their Register. I adhere to their ethical framework.
Member of UKPTS - UK Psychological Trauma Society
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Thursday & Friday
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|