Edward Alexander Conn BSc. (Hons)., P.G. Dip. (Couns) MBACP
104 Station Parade
07830 444 920
My approach to mental health and personal well being focuses on the future and not unduly on the past. I work with the innate strengths of my clients and help them build the outcomes they want. I have a local, national and international client base and bring the highest level of knowledge and support to my clients wherever they are in the most effective manner I can.
- "I had been struggling with food addiction for several years, I had seen multiple counsellors and doctors during that time and never made progress. My time with Ed has been totally different to previous experiences. With an approach that allowed me to understand the root of my problem and highlighted exactly what steps I needed to take before it all began to fall in place. I now have found a totally different perspective around myself, through food and within myself. Ed has a great mix of a friendly and professional attitude that makes opening up and being honest much easier to do. I am so thankful for the lessons Ed has taught me and I could not recommend him enough."
- "I have found Edward to be a compassionate and insightful therapist during my sessions with him. His engagement and understanding were refreshing, especially to anyone new to the process who may be nervous. He is easily approachable which i found makes him equally easy to open up to. Edward's style helped me to pry into difficult areas without ever feeling forced. I could not recommend him more highly."
I trained at the eminent Psychosynthesis and Education Trust in London as well as in Dual Diagnosis at Teeside University in the North East of England. I have also trained with some of the pioneers in the fields of hypnotherapy, PTSD and Bio-Psycho-Social approaches to mental health, well being and addiction.
My training is as a Transpersonal Counsellor, a Dual Diagnosis clinician and in addiction therapy has meant that I have dealt with complex and specialised case work as the main body of my career for the last 15 years. I offer a very high level of support and skill to my clients, with a strong focus on results and a down to earth common sense attitude to well being and personal health.
I pioneered the use of psycho-spiritual and Transpersonal theories to the field of addiction and recovery and was featured on BBC1 television as part of the 'One Life' Series successfully treating documentary film maker David Graham Scott for a long standing heroin addiction. David has gone on to become a powerful and vocal treatment advocate and regularly appears on media to discuss his recovery.
My work and research has been published by Italian Doctor and alternative health pioneer Dr Fiamma Ferraro (M.B., B.Ch., BA.O.) in her book "Attacco Alla Droga. Con la Tabernanthe Iboga?" An acknowledged writer and researcher into holistic health and traditional healing. I have also been featured most recently in The Guardian and previously in The Northern Echo and The Herald (Glasgow/UK).
- "I found Edward a great help when I was dealing with depression and anxiety, and a crisis brought to the surface by alcohol. He helped me to find my way again without being in any way judgemental or prescriptive. I particularly liked the fact that his sessions were relaxed - for someone who finds it hard to talk about personal matters, I found myself able to talk openly and without fear, even when I was at my most anxious. His therapeutic technique was effective for me, both when I started and was in need of urgent help, as well as later on when things had settled down. I never felt talked down to, and his therapy was gentle and intuitive. I also appreciated that Edward was flexible in terms of sessions - I was able to take breaks, and to fit around my work and home commitments. I am grateful to Edward and I recommend his approach to therapy wholeheartedly."
I also have a special interest in the dynamics of relationships and working with couples. Often what is seen is how over time and through over familiarity and life and role changes, relationships suffer, cease to grow and quality of communication diminishes. Resultantly stagnation, misunderstanding and resentment can then take a foothold. I have developed a way of working with this in a comprehensive and direct way, helping to bring problems into focus quickly and discover better ways of relating that bring meaning and trust back. Please enquire for more information if you are looking for effective relationship support.
I understand that approaching the idea of therapy can be nerve racking, and as such my approach is very relaxed and flexible. I will get you an appointment quickly and begin working with you straight away toward the outcomes that you want and the quality of life you deserve.
I am driven by getting my clients results and by making their experience of therapy an enlightening and pleasurable one.....as I believe it should be.
I am happy to treat and discuss any area of mental health concerning you:
-Addiction (Alcohol, Cannabis, Cocaine, Gambling, Opiates, Sex)
-Couples, Marriages and Relationships
I have worked with so many different issues over the years it is best to contact me to discuss what I can do to support you and I am happy to talk for free over the phone for initial enquiries. Please look at my personal website for any more information that you might find helpful, as there is a great deal more information there.
If you are looking for an excellent level of care, a sharp and insightful therapist, well grounded in professional practice, with a focus on getting results please give me a call and I will be more than happy to chat to you about your concerns or enquiry and arrange a quick appointment time.
For full information view my main website: http://www.become-whole.co.uk
For addiction information in Durham: http://www.addictionconsultingdurham.co.uk
I endeavour to get back to any enquiry very quickly and I know how frustrating it can be to leave a message and hear nothing back..
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked as a Dual diagnosis therapist for the last 7 years and with addictions for 15 years, working full time in private practice, community and charitable settings. I have been responsible for the running of and setting up of two seperate specialist alcohol counselling services and managing a team of Counselling Psychology Doctorate students in training.
I provide a private practice to fee paying clients and specialise in transpersonal issues in relation to spiritual crises and spiritual emergency. I also have a private SKYPE based international practice for all aspects of rehabilitation and specialist addiction recovery and transpersonal crises, with clients from as far afield as Saudi Arabia, The Far East, mainland Europe and all over the UK.
Ten years ago I was featured on BBC 1 television due to my pioneering work in the field of addiction. I have also been featured in a number of newspapers and my work published by an Italian Doctor specialising in holistic medicine. (see my website for all references).
My qualifications are in Business Mangement, Transpersonal Counselling and Dual Diagnosis and Complex Substance Misuse, as well as shorter courses in PTSD, addictions and many others.
1. BSc (Hons) Management and Administration Studies (Aston University)
2. P.G. Diploma. Psychosynthesis Counselling (Psychosynthesis and Education Trust)
3. Dual Diagnosis and Complex Substance Abuse. (Teesside University)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
65 gbp per session
For more information see here: http://www.become-whole.co.uk
and here: http://www.addictionconsultingdurham.co.uk
- Also registered with Counselling Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|