Donald Alexander MNCS Accred Counsellor & Psychotherapist
I am committed to supporting people in healing from experiences they have survived or are surviving in their lives.
Maybe you are feeling stuck and are not sure how to move forward in your life, or perhaps you are looking for support as you take your next step. I can help you.
I can help you to heal from your past experiences and to find freedom to be you.
During our lives most of us, if not all of us, experience trauma of one kind or another (even though we may not think to use that word) and our traumatic experiences, often outside of our awareness, can and do profoundly affect how we are in the world, and significantly impact our ways of being in relationship with others and ourselves.
I support people in healing from relational trauma, developmental trauma, childhood trauma and interpersonal trauma of all kinds.
Human beings are amazing, remarkable and resilient in our ability to cope with adversity. When traumatised we often compartmentalise or dissociate what happens to us so we can carry on living. We also turn to all manner of addictions and behaviours that on the surface may seem disordered and destructive yet at the same time they make perfect sense. They protect us, help us to stay in control, help numb the pain, help us to survive, and help communicate our stories. We are courageous and creative, and yet we can struggle to see these qualities in ourselves and our behaviours.
I can help you. I will respect your protective behaviours and help you to recover—to heal and to grow—to not just survive, but to thrive.
It makes sense to me that relational hurts are also healed within relationship—relationships which must not only be safe but must also feel safe enough too. My way of being in supporting you is relational at heart while being trauma aware, and is informed by my training in AEDP, Internal Family Systems and Sensorimotor Psychotherapy.
I am very happy to have a 5-10 minute phone conversation with you so you can ask me questions and get a sense of whether you feel I am someone who could help you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy AEDP (Level 2)
- Internal Family Systems IFS (Level 3)
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (Level 2 ongoing)
- Advanced Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (Distinction with Honours)
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (Distinction with Honours)
- Diploma in Counselling Skills and Hypnotherapy (Distinction with Honours)
- ESTD (European Society for Trauma and Dissociation)
- ISSTD (International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
£60 per 50 minute session
I practise out of the Calm Minds Therapy Rooms in Bramhall, Stockport.
There is some nearby on-road parking and a public car park in the village centre.
The train station is a short 5 minute walk away. Bramhall is on a direct line to Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Cheadle Hulme, Poynton, Adlington, Prestbury, Macclesfield, Congleton, Kidsgrove, Longport and Stoke-on-Trent.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Friday evening only.
Types of client