Dawn Tinning, Masters in Counselling & Psychotherapy, BACP Accred.
I offer therapy that is confidential, respectful and non-judgemental. In this therapeutic environment we can work together to help you to identify and explore your own thoughts and feelings enabling you to develop more insight and understanding of what is going on for you.
There are many reasons why people come to counselling, here is just a few examples:
- You may be experiencing difficulties in your life at the moment. Exploring difficult experiences and feelings with your counsellor can help you to move on from your present difficulties.
- You and your partner may be experiencing difficulties in your relationship. Couple counselling can help you both talk about your feelings and find ways of communicating more effectively with each other.
- You may be a young person experiencing difficulties or be a concerned parent of a young person experiencing difficulties. I work with young people aged 14 years and above.
- You may be looking to do some self development to help you make some positive changes in your life. Talking this through with a qualified counsellor can help you to clarify your thoughts and support you during this time of change.
I am a qualified and experienced counsellor working from a dedicated counselling room in my home in the West Lothian area. As well as my experience working in private practice I also have experience working as a counsellor within NHS primary and secondary care, within education and working with organisations providing staff with counselling support. I work with adults, young people and couples.
I appreciate taking the first step to seek help can be difficult so please feel free to give me a ring, text or drop me an email if have any questions you would like to ask about the service I provide.
Training, qualifications & experience
Certificate in Counselling Skills (Persona)
Diploma in Counselling (University of Lancaster)
Masters in Counselling and Psychotherapy (Stirling University)
Certificate in Mindfulness (Persona)
Certificate in Supervision (Strathclyde University)
NES Generic Supervision Certificate
Certificate in Person-centred Couple and Family Therapy
I am an accredited and registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and work to their code of ethics.
I have an well established private practice and currently share my time working privately and within NHS primary and secondary care. I am registered as a recommended counsellor with many insurance companies, charities and EAP providers. I also provide supervision to counselling colleagues, trainee counsellors and other professionals.
I have over 10 years experience:
- working in NHS primary care in a clinic and GP setting with adults (over 16 years) referred by their GP or other health professionals
- working for charitable organisations offering counselling to their clients and supervision to staff
- providing workplace counselling for organisations who aim to support staff who are experiencing difficulties, this is usually short term therapy
- working with young people (aged 14+) experiencing difficulties
- working with couples experiencing difficulties in their relationship
I have also past experience working within education, managing an EAP service and setting up and managing a counselling service for young people (aged 10 - 25).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
Individual Counselling fee is £45 per session.
Couple Counselling fee is £55 per session.
Supervision fee is £45 for a 1 hour session, £65 for a 1.5 hour session. A reduced rate of £40 is offered to trainee counsellors.
Some issues clients bring to counselling
- Relationship issues
- Difficulties at Work
- Low self esteem
- Abuse: sexual, emotional and physical
- Child related issues
These are just some examples but you can bring any issue that is worrying you or making you unhappy to counselling.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday 9.00am - 8.00pm, Tuesday 6.00pm - 7.30pm, Wednesday 9.00am - 8.00pm, Thursday 9.00am - 8.00pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a BACP accredited counsellor and hold an MSc in Counselling and Psychotherapy. I also have a Certificate in Developing Supervision Practice from Strathclyde University and a NES Generic Supervision Certificate. I work using the person-centred approach. I have experience in supervising both trainee and qualified counsellors at various stages of their development.