Dan Skili, HCPC, BADth, CAST
Hi, I'm Dan of Creative Arts Psychotherapy, the psychotherapy service which aims to make psychotherapy more accessible and affordable to individuals, groups and young people. My service is based in the Tower and London Bridge area close to Canary Wharf and Canada Water.
Attending therapy for the first time may be a difficult step for you because of possible feelings of stigma around mental health, being seen as weak or unable to cope, feelings that there is something wrong with you or just not knowing what to expect; I am here to dispel these worries. I believe attending therapy is all about your well-being, self exploration and self development as well as learning new strategies and coping mechanisms to deal with difficult and complex events in your life.
The therapy is always client led and conducted in a comfortable, welcoming and relaxed environment.
Dealing with many of life’s difficult issues and events such as bereavement, relationship breakdown or illness can leave us with feelings of stress, anxiety or depression. However there can be many different reasons why life may leave us with feelings of unrest, dissatisfaction or unhappiness. It could be issues at work, with family or friends, uncertainty in the future or coming to terms with something from the past. Sometimes talking with those closest to you may not be the easiest option as you may feel guarded in what you say and not want to upset or offend those you care about. It could be a difficult subject to approach.
Coming to therapy or counseling can be daunting and I understand even making contact can be difficult. My aim is to offer you a confidential environment where you will feel respected, safe and not judged. I work with you as an individual working towards a more settled and fulfilling life.
I am a registered dramatherapist with 18 years experience working in central London with young people, older people and adults. I am qualified from the Sesame Drama & Movement Therapy Course at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama.
I offer talking therapy but as a Creative Arts Psychotherapist I can also offer other ways of supporting you through therapy, should you wish to:
Dramatherapy - A Creative Arts Psychotherapy
Dramatherapy is a form of psychological therapy in which all of the performance arts are utilised within the therapeutic relationship. Dramatherapists are both artists and clinicians and draw on their training's in theatre/drama and therapy to create methods to engage clients in effecting psychological, emotional and social changes. The therapy gives equal validity to body and mind within the dramatic context; stories, myths, play-texts, puppetry, masks and improvisation are examples of the range of artistic interventions a Dramatherapist may employ. These will enable the client to explore difficult and painful life experiences through an indirect approach.
Clients who are referred to a Dramatherapist do not need to have previous experience or skill in acting, theatre or drama. Dramatherapists are trained to enable clients to find the most suitable medium for them to engage in group or individual therapy to address and resolve, or make troubling issues more bearable. Definition by BADth British Association of Dramatherapy.
I am also a registered Clinical Supervisor from the extensive 18 month Creative Arts Supervision Training course. As a Clinical Supervisor I work with the seven-eyed model of supervision (by Peter Hawkins and Robin Shoet).
I have a special interest in working with 'difference', inequality and trans-cultural issues. I work with matters of identity as well as questions around visible and non-visible difference; using identity methods (Unlike Meyer Cologne University of Applied Sciences) of exploring our own view of the world, and what we bring to our work, as therapists and supervisors.
Please see the website for more information on the service I offer:
Training, qualifications & experience
- I graduated as a Dramatherapist from the Sesame Dramatherapy course at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama in 2000 and have over 18 years extensive experience working with children, young people and adults in various settings. I am employed by the London Borough of Sutton as a Dramatherapist for the Sutton Clinical Health Team for People with Learning Disabilities and have worked there 10 years. Here, as the placement manager, I also supervise Dramatherapy Roehampton University students ongoing.
- I am a registered Clinical Supervisor and offer supervision to all professionals who work in the health and caring professions which could be counsellors, therapists, nurses, doctors, teachers, social workers or care workers.
- I teach Introduction to Dramatherapy at the established City Literary Institute in Covent Garden throughout the year. I previously worked at ‘Studio Upstairs’ - the arts community with a therapeutic concern for 8 years, where I facilitated the Psycho-therapeutic Performance Group in a mental health setting, as well as also supervising students and volunteers.
- I worked extensively with women and men who experience domestic abuse, in the London Borough of Greenwich for ‘Tryangle Project 2011’, where Augusto Boal’s Psych-Educational Forum Theatre (Theatre of the Opressed) is at the heart of the work.
- I regularly facilitate and make use of Forum Theatre, Playback Theatre and Gabriel Roth‘s Five Rhythms, as a part of my Dramatherapy practice; as well as the more traditional ways of working in Dramatherapy, offering our clients talking therapy as well as the option to get out of their chair, in order to in a 3D manner, explore relevant issues through the art form of role-play, drama, movement, voice, story-telling, story-enactment, improvisation, puppetry, drumming, the playing of instruments, drawing and making music - all in relation to what the client is comfortable with.
Over the years I have very much enjoyed worked closely with Music Therapists, Art Therapists and Dance/Movement Psychotherapists – where I have felt that sharing ways of working with other disciplines, yet related disciplines, and being inspired by them, is not only useful but an essential way of developing one’s own clinical practice.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- LGBTQ+ related issues
- Identity issues
- One hour sessions are £50.00 with £40.00 concession price for students.
- Group sessions are £30.00 per person. Initial half hour meeting (assessment) is priced at £20.00
- Clinical Supervision for professionals is equally priced at £50.00 per one hour session with 40.00 concession price for students.
- Group supervision offered and is priced at £30.00 per person.
I have extensive experience in:
- Anxiety management
- Stress coping skills
- Anger issues
- Identity issues
- Family problems
- Sexual issues
- Associated unconscious work.
Please see the website for a further explanation of dramatherapy and Creative Arts Psychotherapies: www.creative-arts-psychotherapy.com
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training