Catherine Holland MA, UKCP, MBACP, FRSA,
I am a MBACP registered psychotherapist with nearly 30 years of experience helping people through psychotherapy and counselling. Therapy can be enjoyable as well as challenging and my focus is on creating a safe and confidential space from which to help you address life's challenges in a creative and meaningful way. I also offer online therapy.
The people who come to see me experience a wide range of concerns, including:
- those struggling to identify their feelings and articulate their needs
- a trauma or traumatic events
- struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship problems,
- feeling stuck in repetitive patterns
- shame and guilt related issues
- difficulties with significant relationships
- adoption related issues
- questioning sexuality and intimacy or the pain of emotional or sexual affairs
- considering leaving a religious or faith based group
- adapting to lifecycle changes like leaving home, marriage, children, death, ageing parents, or illness
- identity or self-definition questions after adoption or divorce
- adapting to moving countries or relocating
- Unblocking creative stickiness
- Those enduring ongoing health issues or recovering from medical interventions
- Veteran related issues
- Work related dynamics
- Organisational issues
My style of working is rooted in Attachment-based Psychoanalytic Theory and Neuroscience, which I then build on using an array of creative techniques including Person Centred, Systemic Family Systems(which locates the struggle in the context of larger family dynamics), Transpersonal Perspectives Theory,
I don’t believe in a “one size fits all” therapy – every client is different – therefore therapy is a natural and evolving process and its pace and intensity will vary depending on the needs of the client. This means that I strive to help you feel better as quickly as possible in a way that is lasting.
Much of the work I do is about helping clients learn to tolerate anxiety. As you learn to observe the sensations and thoughts that manifest as anxiety you deepen your knowledge of what drives your reactions, and as a result new choices and ways of being in the world unfold. You move from being reactive to being proactive and purposeful.
To gain the most of our time together, I will gently encourage you to find the words and pace that feel right. Our space is confidential, so everything that you stay will remain strictly between us in accordance with BACP and UKCP ethical guidelines.
Training, qualifications & experience
“Most of us are trying to live an authentic life. Deep down, we want to take off our game face and be real and imperfect.” – Brene Brown
It is often unprocessed feelings and unconscious beliefs that lead to difficulty in our lives. My goal as a therapist is to support my clients to move through whatever struggle they are facing and ultimately feel more connected in their relationships and more empowered in their lives.
I have had a career background that includes experience in community and academic organizations, cross-border working, the NHS, business and various mental health organisations. I am also an executive coach working with CEOs, senior teams, and boards and have organisational development experience spanning both the private and public sectors. I trained at the Lincoln Centre, the Tavistock and Portman NHS trust as well as undertaking four years learning in cutting-edge, contemporary attachment theory and neuroscience at The Bowlby Centre.
I have private practices in both Shoreditch, London and in Iver, Buckinghamshire
- APPCIOS - Association for Psychodynamic Practice and Counselling in Organisational Settings (Full Member)
- BPC British Psychoanalytic Council (Registered 18133)
- BACP (MBACP) British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (Registered 812261)
- UKCP - UK Council of Psychotherapists (Registered 2011170950)
- The Bowlby Centre - Member.
- Registered Analytic-Network Coaching http://www.analyticnetwork.com/index.html
- I also hold a MA in Consultation and the Organisation University of East London & Tavistock Clinic & a MA in Psychoanalytical Observational Studies, University of East London & Tavistock Clinic.
- Additionally, I am a Fellow at RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce) http://www.thersa.org/ : an enlightenment organisation committed to finding innovative practical solutions to today’s social challenges.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Humanistic therapies
Photos & videos
My fees are £80.00 for Individual sessions in Buckinghamshire and slightly higher for London Based Practices. Fees at Great Portland Street Box Tree Clinic are £120.00. Concessions are negotiated pending upon individual circumstances.
Where My Office Is:
I practice from three sites.
I am a practitioner at Box Tree Clinic, located at Great Portland Street. We are a team of private, highly experienced and qualified therapists that provide bespoke short-term and long-term psychotherapy and counselling for people of all ages. Location: Box Tree Clinic, 4 Devonshire Street, London, W1W 5DT
I practice from the The Old Fire Station building which is located in Shoreditch, just on the edge of the City of London. Location: The Old Fire Station, 140 Tabernacle Street, London EC2A 4SD
My practice in Iver at Riemore where I offer appointments throughout the week. Parking is available on site. Location: Riemore, Bangors Road South, Iver, Bucks. SL0 0AY
How to contact me:
To book an appointment, call me on 07971807401
or to email me,
I will usually be able to see you within a week of you making your first contact with me.
What happens next?
Phone: If you reach my answering machine, please do leave a message.
I will always return your call on the same day, or first thing the next morning.
I assure complete discretion when I return your call. Please specify if you prefer that I do not leave a message.
Text or Email: If you prefer not to be contacted by phone, then your appointment can be arranged entirely by email or text. Please be sure to include your name and to state your availability, to assist me in offering you a suitable time to meet.
All of the information that we share together is strictly confidential unless one of the following should occur:
- I suspect a case of child abuse that has not been previously reported. In this case I am required by law to report to the relevant authorities.
- If you threaten to harm yourself or another. In this case I am also required to report this to the proper authorities.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays in Buckinghamshire and Wednesday Box Tree Clinic, Great Portland street. Thursday's I provide a clinic at Old Street, Shoreditch EC2A 4SD
Types of client