Catherine Holland MA, UKCP, MBACP, FRSA,
I am a UKCP/MBACP registered psychotherapist with nearly 30 years of experience helping people through psychotherapy and counselling. Therapy can be enjoyable as well as challenging and my focus is on creating a safe and confidential space from which to help you address life's challenges in a creative and meaningful way. I also offer online therapy.
The people who come to see me experience a wide range of concerns, including:
- those struggling to identify their feelings and articulate their needs
- a trauma or traumatic events
- struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship problems,
- feeling stuck in repetitive patterns
- shame and guilt related issues
- difficulties with significant relationships
- adoption related issues
- questioning sexuality and intimacy or the pain of emotional or sexual affairs
- considering leaving a religious or faith based group
- adapting to lifecycle changes like leaving home, marriage, children, death, ageing parents, or illness
- identity or self-definition questions after adoption or divorce
- adapting to moving countries or relocating
- Unblocking creative stickiness
- Those enduring ongoing health issues or recovering from medical interventions
- Veteran related issues
- Work related dynamics
- Organisational issues
My style of working is rooted in Attachment-based Psychoanalytic Theory and Neuroscience, which I then build on using an array of creative techniques including Person Centred, Systemic Family Systems(which locates the struggle in the context of larger family dynamics), Transpersonal Perspectives Theory,
I don’t believe in a “one size fits all” therapy – every client is different – therefore therapy is a natural and evolving process and its pace and intensity will vary depending on the needs of the client. This means that I strive to help you feel better as quickly as possible in a way that is lasting.
Much of the work I do is about helping clients learn to tolerate anxiety. As you learn to observe the sensations and thoughts that manifest as anxiety you deepen your knowledge of what drives your reactions, and as a result new choices and ways of being in the world unfold. You move from being reactive to being proactive and purposeful.
To gain the most of our time together, I will gently encourage you to find the words and pace that feel right. Our space is confidential, so everything that you stay will remain strictly between us in accordance with BACP and UKCP ethical guidelines.
Training, qualifications & experience
“Most of us are trying to live an authentic life. Deep down, we want to take off our game face and be real and imperfect.” – Brene Brown
It is often unprocessed feelings and unconscious beliefs that lead to difficulty in our lives. My goal as a therapist is to support my clients to move through whatever struggle they are facing and ultimately feel more connected in their relationships and more empowered in their lives.
I have had a career background that includes experience in community and academic organizations, cross-border working, the NHS, business and various mental health organisations. I am also an executive coach working with CEOs, senior teams, and boards and have organisational development experience spanning both the private and public sectors. I trained at the Lincoln Centre, the Tavistock and Portman NHS trust as well as undertaking four years learning in cutting-edge, contemporary attachment theory and neuroscience at The Bowlby Centre. I teach psychotherapy students at The Bowlby Centre and provide supervision to both counsellors and psychotherapists.
I have private practices in both London and in Iver, Buckinghamshire
- ISST-D: International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (Member)
- APPCIOS - Association for Psychodynamic Practice and Counselling in Organisational Settings (Member)
- BPC British Psychoanalytic Council (Registered 18133)
- BACP (MBACP) British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (Registered 812261)
- UKCP - UK Council of Psychotherapists (Registered 2011170950)
- The Bowlby Centre - Member/Teacher
- Registered Analytic-Network Coaching http://www.analyticnetwork.com/index.html
- Diploma in Psychopathology Theory & Practice (Confer 2020)
- MA in Consultation and the Organisation University of East London & Tavistock Clinic
- MA in Psychoanalytical Observational Studies, University of East London & Tavistock Clinic.
- Additionally, I am a Fellow at RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce) http://www.thersa.org/ : an enlightenment organisation committed to finding innovative practical solutions to today’s social challenges.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
British Psychoanalytic Council
The British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) is a professional association, representing the profession of psychoanalytic psychotherapy.
The organisation is itself made up of fourteen member organisations and BPC accredits the trainings of its member organisations. An individual who qualifies from one of these trainings is then eligible for entry into the BPC's register.
BPC registrants are governed by a code of ethics, a policy of continuing professional development, a statement on confidentiality and a complaints procedure. The BPC is a Member Society of the European Federation for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in the Public Sector (EFPP). Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£85.00 per session
Concessions offered for
My fees are:
- £85.00 for Individual sessions (50 minutes).
- £110 for Couples (55 minutes).
- £120 for Trauma/EMDR Therapy (80 minutes)
- £150 for extended session (110 minutes)
Bespoke Packages a Mobile service* to attend to and process distress states
Bespoke Packages: 1/2 day £350.00
Full Day £650.00
(*Note: Mobile service incurs additional milage/time costs )
I am available online Monday's -Saturday
I practice online via Zoom
I also provide a Bespoke mobile service for your convenience where I travel to you (this service has additional time/travel costs)
My practice is held at Reimore Clinic, located in Iver Buckinghamshire. We are a team of private, highly experienced and qualified therapists that provide bespoke short-term and long-term psychotherapy and counselling for people of all ages. Parking is available on site. Location: Riemore, Bangors Road South, Iver, Bucks. SL0 0AY
I teach and hold some sessions in North London at The Bowlby Centre, 1 Highbury Crescent, London, N5 1RN
How to contact me:
To book an appointment, call me on 07971807401
or to email me,
I will usually be able to see you within a week of you making your first contact with me.
What happens next?
Phone: If you reach my answering machine, please do leave a message.
I will always return your call on the same day, or first thing the next morning.
I assure complete discretion when I return your call. Please specify if you prefer that I do not leave a message.
Text or Email: If you prefer not to be contacted by phone, then your appointment can be arranged entirely by email or text. Please be sure to include your name and to state your availability, to assist me in offering you a suitable time to meet.
All of the information that we share together is strictly confidential unless one of the following should occur:
- I suspect a case of child abuse that has not been previously reported. In this case I am required by law to report to the relevant authorities.
- If you threaten to harm yourself or another. In this case I am also required to report this to the proper authorities.