Babak Karamiani Moghaddam
I am a chartered clinical psychologist specialised in adult mental health. I work in the NHS as well as running a small private practice. I have 15 years of experience working in adult mental health as well as working with adolescents and couples. My special interest is in working with the impact of childhood trauma (sexual & emotional abuse) on adults which can manifest in chronic depression, anxiety, OCD, relationship difficulties and in more severe cases, personality difficulties. I have extensive experience in working with adults suffering from Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (EUPD), also known as Borderline PD. I am an integrative practitioner trained in a variety of therapeutic methods namely, CBT, psychodynamics and system theory (family therapy) to encapsulate clients' difficulties at different levels (conscious and unconscious). I also have training in Mentalisation-based Therapy (MBT), which is a specilised approach in treating EUPD.
I offer therapeutic interventions to adults as well as couples and adolescents. I am an engaging therapist and focus on establishing an intimate therapeutic relationship with my clients based on trust and transparency. I normally meet with my clients for 90 minutes (initial consultation) to understand and formulate their difficulties and then depending on the outcome of my assessment, I can recommend short-term or if necessary long term interventions to work towards desirable therapeutic goals. My subsequent therapy session will be an hour and can be weekly or more depending on clients' needs.
I do believe that therapy is more useful if we identify and work towards necessary goals, otherwise it can become a circular and unneccessarily prolonged and frustrating process. I always encourage my clients to use what they learn about themselves in the real world. Coming from a diverse background and having extensive knowledge/experience in Martial Arts, as well as travelling, have given me a deeper understanding of the human condition. Such personal experiences as well as my clinical and academic work have made me a more well-rounded therapist who can connect to people from all walks of life. I endeavour not to judge but to understand my clients. I am a warm therapist however I would empathically challenge my clients when I feel they unconsciously resist change.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc in Psychology.
- MSc in Clinical Psychology (University of Bangor, North Wales).
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from University of Essex, Colchester.
- Post graduate certificate in Family Therapy (Tavistock Clinic).
- Mentalisation-based Therapy (Anna Freud Centre).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Individual sessions £130
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Persian (Farsi)|
Types of client