Ann Laungani, PG.Dip.Counselling and Psychotherapy, BACP Registered member
- I am an integrative and couple counsellor using a range of approaches to suit your individual needs. I have experience of working in the NHS with clients from different cultures and backgrounds.
- If you are feeling depressed, anxious, stuck or overwhelmed in your life, and and nothing is working out, taking the first step and seeking counselling opens a door.
- I work with clients to help them gain awareness of their feelings, emotions and actions and work towards change and self acceptance. This can help you live a more satisfying,balanced life
- I work with couples whose relationships are not working and use an attachment based approach, Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy.
- When things happen which are traumatic, such as bereavement, loss - a job, relationship, illness, confidence, body image, anger, depression, disordered eating and more, which might be personal to you; these events and feelings can sabotage and block your development, and you may feel you are not the person you really want to be.
- You might also want to explore and question how you are living your life and if it could it be different?
- The process of counselling can work to improve relationships with yourself and others and enable you to live your life in a more positive, healthy, and peaceful way with increased resilience when the going gets tough or conflicts arise.
How can Counselling and Psychotherapy Help?
Talking with a qualified person, perhaps for the first time, in sharing your feelings in a confidential, non-judgemental setting can help you gain a better perspective on who you are, where you are in your life and help you change or accept yourself more. Sometimes individuals feel great relief in speaking about something previously unspoken. An exploration of your way of thinking can stimulate your ability to reflect on your thoughts and actions.
How do I work?
I see the benefits of working in a relational way which requires your involvement to explore yourself and specific needs for counselling and finding ways to improve your health. In this you will be able to learn in your own time to trust your own choices and decisions. I see the therapeutic relationship as primary to effective work. Exploring early experiences and attachment relationships can help put the present in perspective. Practical approaches to change and habit can also be developed and you may wish to identify goals for yourself. I can also help you work with mindfulness for day to day living.
My training included pyschodynamic,existential and humanistic approaches, I work according to the needs, lifestyle and culture of the individual, rather than imposing a specific approach on clients.
I work to the ethical guidelines of the BACP and I am committed to Continuing Professional Development.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Diploma - Counselling and Psychotherapy, Roehampton University
- Advanced Practitioner Course, Counselling and Psychotherapy, Roehampton University 20
- Foundation Course, Group Psychoanlytic Training, Insititute of Group Psychoanalysis, London.
- Eating Disorders and Obesity, National Centre for Eating Disorders. London
- Marriage Care, Certificate in Relationship and Couple Counselling
- I have had over 11 years experience working in Central London Community Health Trust with NHS staff with depression,bereavement, post traumatic stress, anxiety, work and personal stress, personality disorder, loss - illness, cultural identity, relationship problems.
- I originally obtained my RGN before moving on to gain qualifications and work in health visiting, nurse teaching and quality management in the NHS.
- I obtained an MSc in Public Service Management from South Bank University and worked in the NHS to develop strategies for managing stress in the workplace and improving the health of employees.
- I was also one of the first tranche of volunteers on the Royal College of Physicians Patient/Carer network where I represented patients interests on medical committees and raised patient concerns about the quality of their care. My nursing and health visiting background has given me considerable interest in psychological issues relating to both acute and long term illness, adult and childhood disability and support for postnatal depression.
- I have had experience of working with clients from a range of different cultures, and welcome cultural difference.
- I work to the BACP Code of Ethics and to ensuring my Continuing Professional Development and Supervision.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- £55 per 50 minute session, some concessions according to income and also for key workers
Please call me for a telephone discussion prior to the first assessment appointment.
24 hours notice is required for cancellation of appointments, otherwise the fee is payable. Where possible the appointment is re-scheduled