Dr Andy Dunn, Clinical Psychologist
Hello, and a warm welcome to you. I'm Andy, and I'm pleased that you are looking at my details in this directory. I am a highly qualified and experienced clinical psychologist with clinics in both York and Wetherby. As well as working in private practice I also work in mental health services for the NHS, and have done so for many years. I offer individual therapy to adults (across the age range) with a wide range of difficulties including:
- Low mood
- Relationship problems.
I will offer you a safe and confidential space to talk about your difficulties. I use my knowledge, experience and training to enable us to develop an in depth understanding of the problem (known as a formulation), which is based on your unique personal circumstances and experience. This understanding helps us to develop a psychological therapy that is tailor made to you as an individual. This is always done in collaboration with you, with respect and compassion.
I am registered as a practitioner psychologist with the HCPC professional regulatory body. I am a full member of the British Psychological Society (BPS) and Chartered member of the Division of Clinical Psychology.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Bsc (Hons) Psychology Degree - The Open University
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering Degree - University of Sheffield
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology - University of Birmingham
Further continued professional development and training includes:
- Compassion Focused Therapy, with Chris Irons
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy teacher training, Level 1 with Alistair Smith
- Practitioner Training (Diploma) in Cognitive Analytic Therapy, with Catalyse
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy training, with Russ Harris
- EMDR training Oct 2019-April 2020.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Work-related stress
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Standard fees are £95 for a 50 minute appointment. I am registered with the main health insurance companies including AXA, BUPA, Aviva, Cigna and Vitality Health.
It can feel daunting to take the first step in finding a therapist that fits with what you need. I offer a free telephone consultation to gather some initial information about the difficulties you are experiencing, discuss what you need, and arrange an initial appointment. You can contact me via my mobile, email address or website.
My private practice is based at Blake House at St Martin's Lane in York city centre. It is easily accessible via bus, rail or cycle. There is car parking nearby.
I also have a clinic in Wetherby. This is based at Wetherby Therapy Rooms, 23A The High Street. There is free parking nearby.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointments are upstairs (and there is no lift in the building). I am usually able to arrange more accessible space for appointments when needed. Please ask about this on enquiry.
Types of client