Andrea Breninek, accredited CBT Therapist, Clinical Psychologist (HCPC)
BABCP accredited CBT therapist, Clinical Psychologist (HCPC)
27 Avenue Mansions
499 Finchley Road
I am accredited CBT Therapist/Clinical Psychologist with more than 20 years experience both in private practice and the NHS. One thing I have learned about life during these years is that we all will experience at one point of our lives Anxiety problems, Depression or other forms of mental health problems. Some of us will manage on their own, some of us will need help.
Seeking help to deal with stress and mental health problems should not have any stigma attached to it – it is an effective way of dealing with the impact of living in an imperfect world.
And like with any form of respiratory illness it is important to act in time to avoid deterioration.
For me, a key element of therapy is to develop a treatment plan together with my client. To listen not only kindly but also respectfully to client’s experiences and their past efforts to manage their problems.
I work with my clients on the goals they set themselves. Some want to find ways to overcome anxiety, low mood, or be less critical towards themselves. Others may want to understand how they self-sabotage their ambitions.
I offer a highly individualised treatment which considers not just the current problems but also the strengths clients have developed during the journey of their life. I aim to deliver a tailor-made therapy plan and not an “one fits all” model of treatment.
I am mindful of the interactions between body and mind, which complements the CBT approach.
I have experienced in delivering CBT to a wide range of problems. My special interests are in the field of Depression, Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive Compulsive Disorders, Postnatal Depression, workplace related problems and the effects of Stress and Chronic Physical Illness.
Saturday and Sunday appointments available. Reduced fee places available.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2009: Accredited as Clinical Psychologist with the HCPC (Health and Care Professional Council)
- 2001: Accredited as a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist with the BABCP (British Association for Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy)
- 1999: Accredited as Clinical Psychologist with the German Psychological Society.
- 1999: Accredited as a Psychological Therapist (CBT) with the German Federal State of Rhineland Palatinate
- 1996 to 1997: Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy. at University College London, Medical School
- 1994: Graduated (MSc equivalent) in Psychology at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany
- 1987: Certificate as Trainer for Autogenic Training, a western form of meditation.
- 1984: Graduated (BA equivalent) in Psychology at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany
- 1995: Awarded a post-graduate Gutenberg Scholarship for my research into the effects of physical activity on the subjective feeling of well-being
- 2016 to date: Independent Cognitive Behaviour Therapist in private practice
- August 2008 to March 2016: Cognitive Behaviour Therapist, Specialist Psychotherapy Services, East London NHS Trust
- January 2000 to July 2008: Clinical Psychologist in Hammersmith
- November 1998 to November 1999: CBT Therapist in Barnet and Edgware
- November 1997 to October 1998: CBT Therapist at Addenbrooke’ s Hospital in Cambridge
- 1995-1996: Lecture in Psychology and Project Co-ordinator about the effects of mental workload at the workplace at my old university. I decided that despite my love for science I was also fascinated about the application of scientific findings in the real world
- 1992-1996: (Freelance) Lecturer for the Federation of German Trade Unions on the psychological aspects of mental workload and health and safety
- 1987-1996: (Freelance) Trainer for Autogenic Training
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am a certified trainer for Autogenic Training since 1987.
Fees for CBT therapy and CBT based coaching
Initial 15 minutes telephone contact: free of charge
90 minutes assessment session: £ 130
50 minutes clinical session: £100
Reduced fees are available for unemployed, students and OAPs:
90 minutes assessment session: £ 100
50 minutes clinical session: £ 80
£ 90 per clinical hour for accredited therapists
£ 70 per clinical hour for trainees
60 hours in advance: free of charge
Less than 60 hours: 1/2 session fee
Termination of therapy: You can terminate therapy at any time - just give me 60 hours notice.
I am happy to answer your questions - please do get in touch.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Thursday, Saturday, Sunday from 10.00 to 17.00
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a BABCP accredited CBT therapist.