Victoria A Moore MBACP (Accred), BSc (Hons) Psychosocial Care, DipCouns, RN
01732 369067 / 07919 077519
With a background in nursing, I am able to work with issues relating to mental health and well-being, as well as general personal and relationship issues. I can offer different therapy approaches to suit individual needs. Some concessions are available for those on low incomes and students training to be counsellors.
I specialise in counselling and psychotherapy and I am able to offer therapy without being constrained by a long NHS waiting list and limited sessions.
How I work
I respect the uniqueness of each individual and believe clients are the experts on themselves. I use a holistic approach, helping clients to use their own resources and build on their strengths, working through issues, solving problems, achieving goals, and increasing self-awareness.
My Approach & Philosophy
My approach is friendly and client-centred; and my philosophy is integrative, informed by several psychological theories, including psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioural, humanistic and Gestalt.
I believe that the past can affect the present and, subsequently, determine the future; and so it can be useful to explore past experiences.
For some difficulties, it helps to focus on changing the patterns of thinking and behaviour which can lie behind problems.
I also find that the relationship between the therapist and client can be very informative, supportive and healing.
Training, qualifications & experience
After qualifying as mental health nurse, I trained to be a psychotherapeutic counsellor.
I have experience of seeing clients in a GP practice and have worked in private practice since 2002. I hold a substantive post within the NHS and remain registered as a mental health nurse.
- 2016 Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for Couples
- 2014 Adolescent Mentalisation Based Integrative Treatment
- 2014 Mentalisation Based Therapy: Keeping Mind in Mind
- 2014 Post-Qualifying Certificate in Working with the Couple in Mind
- 2013 Working with People with Personality Disorder
- 2012 BSc (Hons) II.i Clinical Practice (Psychosocial Care)
- 2011 Couples Counselling and Sex Therapy
- 2008 Post-Qualifying Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Skills
- 2008 Behavioural Family Therapy (BFT) Training, Accreditation & Registration
- 2003 Couples Counselling Skills
- 2002 BACP Accredited Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapeutic Counselling; European Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling; Advanced Certificate in Therapeutic Counselling
- 2000 Certificate in Counselling
- 1999 Diploma in Nursing; NMC Registered Mental Health Nurse
Accreditation & Registration
As a therapist, I am accredited with the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) and the United Kingdom Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (UKRCP). As a nurse, I am registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
Code of Ethics
I abide by the BACP and NMC Codes of Conduct, which involve maintaining confidentiality; acting with integrity and professionalism; attending regular supervision; and holding professional indemnity insurance.
My Own Experience of Therapy
Naturally, I have also received my own in-depth therapy over several years so I am able to appreciate how it feels to be a client.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Free Initial Appointment
I offer a free initial appointment to assess your needs and discuss how counselling / psychotherapy may help you. This is an opportunity for us to get a taste of how therapy would be and consider whether we feel we could work together.
Length of Therapy
If we decide to work together, a therapeutic plan is then mutually agreed. This may be for a fixed number of sessions (eg 6-12) if short-term, focussed, work is required; or a more open approach may be preferred, with periodic reviews along the way.
Fees are £50 for individuals and £60 for couples. Some concessions are available, including students training to be counsellors.
Sessions last 50 minutes and are usually weekly, at least initially. Evening and weekend appointments are available.
I have a therapy room in north Tonbridge. I also work from the Community Support Centre, in Maidstone town centre.
Both rooms are comfortable, quiet and private. There is free parking available at both locations.
My service is open to everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexuality, religion, race, or culture.
I see individuals and couples; adults, young people and children. As well as private clients, I am happy to see people who are funded by insurance or their employer.
I have experience of working with clients on the following issues:
Stress / anxiety / depression
Eating disorders / addiction / self-harm
Enduring mental ill-health / dementia
Autistic spectrum disorder / learning difficulties
Sexuality / relationship / family / emotional difficulties
Trauma / childhood abuse
Self-esteem / confidence / assertiveness / anger
Bereavement and loss / life crises
Length of Therapy
I can offer both short-term counselling and longer-term psychotherapy.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening and weekend appointments are available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|