I am a highly experienced Senior Accredited Addiction Counsellor, Traumatologist and Author with sixteen years personal experience of drug, alcohol and gambling addiction and over twenty years professional experience working with addictions. As seen on breakfast TV and radio I can help you break addictive patterns of behaviour. I have been there myself and know the exit route. I have helped many people recover and lead happy, successful lives. I am aware through personal and professional experience that the routes of addiction, are often found in trauma. As a traumatologist i can provide effective trauma processing therapy alongside Addiction therapy
My practice - Mark Dempster Counselling - offers both individual and group therapy options, professional interventions and confidential advice to family and friends of individuals suffering from chemical or behavioural addictions. I also provide referral to rehabilitation as well home or work visit service. At this time with the Coronavirus reaching pandemic proportions I am offering daily therapy groups for all addictions. These groups are charged at reasonable rate. Groups are held twice daily online using Zoom
This begins with a free initial 15 min assessment session. We will explore the benefits of therapy and see if my service would best suit your needs. If you want to proceed to the next stage, we start weekly sessions together. The number and frequency of sessions depends on your need. I can offer an intensive program of counselling, coaching, psycho education and support which may include daily sessions
Benefits of Individual Therapy:
• Tailored counselling sessions to help you address specific problems
• Confidential one to one sessions
• Time to explore issues and behaviours affecting you, in depth
• A safe supportive place to be completely honest about your problem
This is usually a group of six to twelve people who share a common problem who meet weekly with me. I facilitate the session exploring the issues affecting each group member, while providing solutions. This is a highly effective, focussed and practical approach to counselling that draws on the shared hope and experiences of all the group members.
Benefits of group therapy:
• Affordable if you have a low income
• Receive support and encouragement from other group members
• A safe place to practice new behaviours with other people
• Learn from other’s experiences and share your own
• Professional feedback on your own behaviour
• Meet new people who understand and share your experiences
What my Clients Have Said:
Mark, I need to thank you for all that you have done for me. When I first came to see you I did not know how to stop my addictions. You listened when I needed you to, and encouraged me when I had little motivation to change. Because of you my life is better than it has ever been, and I will always be grateful to you for this. Thanks for being there! – John 2010
We found Mark remarkably insightful with a wealth of professional and personal experience , don't be fooled by the demure easy-going demeanour, Mark can be tough when he needs to be to help you see what is required !! I honestly believe if it were not for Mark we would now be parted, so thank you" J.B and A.H Dec Feb 2010
"I have seen a few counsellors in the past 10 years, and nobody made me feel at ease like Mark. In fact, for the first time, I was able to divulge everything about my situation, without fear of shocking him or being judged by him. he has a great sense of humour too, which was appropriate in my situation, but he also really seemed to understand me and was very sympathetic. He recommended an excellent book to me which was spot on, and gave me some exercises to do that helped me change certain (unwanted by me) behaviours. I would recommend Mark to anybody looking for counselling." Sarah. 2010/2011
Training, qualifications & experience
I founded Mark Dempster Counselling as a result of my experiences both personally and professionally. I have over sixteen years personal history of addictions to drugs and alcohol. Now I have more than almost twenty years of counselling countless others to overcome addictive behaviours.
My professional experience of counselling developed from working privately with highly functioning professionals with addictions as well working in/ and managing, detox and rehab facilities and programs, criminal justice and street homeless services, as well as providing individual therapy to millionaire business professionals, musicians, actors and creatives. My service now works from my Harley Street practice.
What you get is unique because:
- I am a fully qualified BACP counsellor, NLP coach and Registered Trainer
- I am a level 7 senior Accredited Traumatologist
- I have Diplomas in generic counselling, systemic psychotherapy (family and couples therapy) and Traumatology
- I have over twenty years professional experience in this field
- I have twenty three years of personal experience of addiction and recovery from it
- Member of the royal society or Medicine and NCP
Placing your trust in someone capable to help you with focussed counselling is a big step to changing your life. My qualifications and accreditations will help you to take that step:
- Level 7 Post Grad Traumatology
- Advance diploma in Psychotherapy
- Degree in Management
- Diploma NLP
- NVQ3 Substance Misuse
- TVU Qualified Trainer
- Diploma in Systematic Therapy
- Advanced level in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Foundation Qualification dual diagnosis
My counselling practice is effective for those serious about going through the process. The benefits are endless. If you want to see how I can work with you to achieve those benefits then please get in touch for an initial –no charge – 15 min assessment.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
* Interventions (addictions) Family
* People at a crossroads in their lives
* Dissatisfaction/emptiness in relation to life
* Couples counselling and psychotherapy
* Tapping into creative potential
* Loss and change
* Alienation and isolation
* Shame, self-criticism, feelings of inadequacy and underachievment in life
* Childhood neglect and related issues
* Workplace issues (organisational/individual stress, harrassment, bullying, redundancy, retirement, trauma at work..etc..)
* Sexual Identity Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT)
* Cultural identity and displacement
* People affected by suicide
* People affected by someone else's addiction/dependency
* Adults whose parents are/were addicts/alcoholics
* All addictions (drugs/alcohol, sexual, internet porn, shopping, addictive relationships..etc..)
* People involved in 12-Step Recovery Programs'
- Cognitive and Behavioural Therapies
- Family/Systemic Therapy
- Humanistic Therapies
- Psychoanalytical and Psychodynamic
My rates are competitive, yet reflect the quality and the experience of the counselling service you will receive.
£100 - £130 per 50 min Individual Counselling
£50 per hour for Group Counselling
Discounts for block booking and advance payment.
I offer an initial consultation appointment where we explore the reasons help is being sought. We then decide if what I can offer is appropriate, and that we feel comfortable working together.
I work from pleasant consulting rooms in central london (harley street) and London bridge. Harley street is 5 min walk from bond or oxford street, london bridge is 3 min walk from London Bridge station
I hope the information, here, and on my websites www.markdempstercounselling.com, helps answer any questions you have concerning addiction counselling, psychotherapy, NLP and group training. However feel free too contact me if anything is unclear, or to book an initial consultation.