Terry Balby Dip.Reg.MBACP
Whatever you are going through counselling can offer you the opportunity come to terms with and understand your troubles. Perhaps you may be considering help to untangle your thoughts. Maybe you think a lot about things that have happened in the past that still affect you. Sometimes there may be a sense that life is lacking in meaning and direction. We can all lose sight of who we really are and what we want from life. Counselling can help you make sense of your experiences, reconnect with your inner resources and live life more fully.
I offer a safe, confidential space to talk about your fears or worries and explore difficult thoughts and feelings. I can help you look at problems differently, for example cope with a crisis, improve relationships and manage loss/grief.
I provide a range of professional, friendly and non-judgmental psychological services. With a strong background of working in mental health services for over 25 years I have extensive experience of a wide range of issues. I work in private practise, NHS counselling services and counselling charities. I draw on a number of therapeutic approaches and tailor these to meet your individual circumstances.
Alongside traditional therapies I offer a range of specialist work
- Wellbeing and mental health. Helping to cope with mental health issues such as depression and anxiety.
- Creative arts therapy. Using various therapeutic approaches e.g. sand trays
- Understanding sexuality. Specialised work with lesbian, gay, bi sexual and transgender clients
- Learning disabilities. Tailored counselling services that understand the communication needs of clients with learning disabilities
- Disability counselling. Helping to cope better with disability and adapting to the changes it brings
Telephone 07401 816148 and I will be able to chat about what you need and make an appointment to meet up. There is no obligation to book a session if you don't feel ready.
- In certain circumstances I can visit your home and work with you there.
- I offer a Telephone/Skype counselling service for clients that are unable to attend the service. This might be helpful if you have work commitments or a disability.
- I respond to all enquiries promptly - If you send an email, a text or leave a voicemail I will usually get back to you within 24 hours, often much sooner.
Training, qualifications & experience
Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Couples Counselling
- Creative arts therapy including Sand tray therapy
- Drug, Alcohol and Substance misuses
- Motivational interviewing
- Brief Solution Focused Therapy
- Advanced Mental illness
- Self-harm and suicide
- Stress management
- Anxiety and the brain
- Safeguarding children and young people
- Safeguarding vulnerable adults
- APT DICES risk management
As well as working in private practise, I have substantial experience within mental health services, working within NHS counselling services and counselling charities
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Face to face counselling
- £40 Weekday sessions 9am – 5pm
- £45 Evening 5 pm - 9pm and weekends
- £45 Creative arts counselling
- £60 Counselling in your own home
Telephone and Skype counselling £25 for half hour session
*Six prepaid sessions will attract 10% discount
All sessions are 50 minutes unless indicated
Fees are negotiable for students & those on low income depending on availability
Profession memberships and insurance
I am fully insured and in line with my commitment to maintain the highest ethical standards I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I also hold a current DBS enhanced certificate
Facilities and locations
In Whitstable I have a dedicated counselling room which is a comfortable, calm and peaceful. The Service has ample street car parking and is five minutes walk from a main bus route.
I also run counselling services in other locations in Thanet and Herne Bay please contact for more information.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekday 9am -5pm. Evenings appointments available (Whitstable) Saturday morning appointments available(Whitstable)
Types of client