Sumie Macalpine-Downie MCOSRT MBACP Dip. Couns. B.A. (Hons)
An experienced, qualified counsellor offering counselling, relationship and sex therapy to individuals and couples on the Cobham/Oxshott border.
Training, qualifications & experience
As a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), I am bound by and adhere to its Ethical Framework for Good Practice. As a registered general member of the College of Sex and Relationship Therapists (COSRT), I am also bound by and adhere to their professional Code of Ethics and Practice. I am fully insured.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychosexual and Relationship Therapy - accredited through the University of Middlesex and approved by COSRT and the National Council for Psychotherapy (NCP)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling - accredited by the Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body (CPCAB)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
I have many hundreds of hours of face-to-face clinical experience with individuals and couples
- BACP Membership
- Voluntary Member of the BACP Register
- COSRT General Membership
- SHSWL Falcon Road NHS Sexual Health Clinic as a Psychosexual Therapist. I see patients as individuals and couples treating a variety of sexual issues.
- Courtyard Clinic at St George's Hospital, Tooting as a Psychosexual Therapist . I have particular experience working with women who experience pain and discomfort during sex (vaginismus/dyspareunia), men who have erectile and ejaculatory difficulties, and with loss of orgasmic/arousal difficulties and low libido.
- Ealing Abbey Counselling Service, London as a Psychosexual and Relationship Therapist working with couples with relationship and sexual difficulties
- Cobham, Surrey where I see individuals and couples in private for a wide range of issues. I have particular experience in working with anxiety, relationship difficulties and co-dependence
I work within an integrated framework that draws on a range of counselling theories, approaches and techniques: Psychodynamic Therapy, Existential Psychotherapy, Gestalt Therapy and Imago Therapy. I consider my way of working with people (individually, in couples, sex therapy) as providing an individual approach that is personalised around you and your needs and issues. I work with adults of all ages providing long and short term counselling and psychotherapy.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have specialist training in psychosexual and relationship therapy working with individuals and couples. Specialist psychosexual therapy covers a broad range of issues including erectile dysfunction, painful sex (dyspareunia), contractions in vaginal muscles (vaginismus), mismatched libidos, loss of or reduced desire, infidelity, arousal issues, communication issues, porn or sex addiction.
Also known as sex therapy, it can help you alleviate your discomfort, gain peace of mind and improve your mental well-being and sexual relationships. By providing you also with real tools to incorporate into your daily relationships, it can help you and your partner discover a more fulfilling way to live your life together.
Duration - Individual and couples' sessions are of 60 minutes duration.
Fees - £70.00 per session (60 minutes).
The fee is the same whether you attend as an individual or a couple.
Location - My office is located on the Cobham/Oxshott border in Surrey and is 100% private and quiet.
Therapy can enhance your life and relationships for the better but it is also challenging and requires a serious commitment and undertaking so at our first assessment session we will:
- consider what your hopes, aims and goals are
- decide whether individual counselling is the most helpful way forward for you at this time
- agree a suitable time and day for our weekly sessions.
By attending the first assessment you are not committing yourself to continue with regular sessions - the choice whether to do so if completely under your control.
Common problems for individuals that I can help with:
- I feel stressed and anxious most of the time and it's affecting my work and relationships
- I'm taking anti-depressants and need help to cope
- I find it difficult to communicate with others or be assertive
- I can't find any meaning or aims in life
- I have difficulties in my sex life
- I'm worried that I (or someone I know) might be an addict
- I have relationship problems with my family (or friends or work colleagues)
- I'm going through an emotional crisis
- I'm dissatisfied with my life and I don't know why.
Common issues dealt with in couples' therapy include:
- communication - do you often argue over petty things or the same unresolved important issues?
- intimacy - do you wish you could be closer or more affectionate together?
- jealousy - do you or your partner suffer from a lack of trust or intrusive jealous thoughts?
- infidelity - have you or your partner been involved with someone else?
- sex - have either of you experienced recent or continued sexual difficulties?
- commitment - are either of you unsure about compatibility or whether you want to stay together?
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mon - Fri 10:00 - 21:00
Types of client