Hi, my name is Sultana Begum.
I am of Bengali origin. Having been raised and lived for over forty years in London, I am a Londoner. I am also British, Asian, a European Muslim, a female, a wife, a daughter, a mother, a sister, an aunt, a friend, a colleague, a neighbour and as well as a counsellor, therapist and many more....
I believe who we are and who we think or believe we should be are not one and the same. I believe in today’s complex world of information overload, we can have many identities and that's okay. However, this can sometimes be overwhelming or confusing, leading to frustration and difficulties in living life fully with contentment.
So how do we navigate through this and find our true sense of self? Well there are many different and equally valid ways to be more functional in this world. I believe that engaging in counselling and psychotherapy can be a very effective way. Particularly if there are deeper, unresolved emotional issues such as: trauma, abuse, neglect, attachment issues, loss and so forth, further complicating matters.
Whatever your faith, belief and way of life I will accompany you in your journey to understand yourself. I offer a safe, non-judgemental and confidential space, where I will listen to you with kindness, compassion and empathy. I will not impose any solutions.
I will work with you to explore your inner feelings, untangle your emotions and sort out your worries. I will help you take those first steps to getting a fuller, richer more meaningful experience of life.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PG Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Social Work
- BSc (Hons) Social Policy
- Solution Focused, Cognitive Behavioural therapies and mindfulness
- Motivational interviewing
- Providing therapeutic and emotional support to children in schools
- Attachment and Self Awareness, Working with Difference and Diversity, Working with Metaphor, helping clients tell their stories, Making Endings. Safeguarding training
- Working with visual impairment
- Mind in Tower Hamlets and Newham- Integrative Therapeutic Counsellor and Psychotherapist
- Place2Be- Counsellor providing therapeutic and emotional support to children through play
- Listening Companion- Private Practice in East London as Integrative Counsellor and Psychotherapist
- City and East London Mental Health Services- Social worker with adults experiencing mental health problems
- Residential social worker-Supporting children in long term care
- Contact supervisor- Supervising parents having contact with their children in care
- Learning support assistant and various other support roles in a primary school
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
My fees are £60 for individuals and £85 for couples, concession available for students and low income.
My practice is currently located in Ilford (near Barking), East London. The nearest underground station is Barking and bus lines 5, EL2, EL3 and 145 run very near me.
I regularly attend supervision and professional training workshops as part of my continuing professional development. With a background in mental health and social work along with my very rich and wide life experience, I believe I have a good understanding of the stresses of life and what can be challenging for us particularly during life transitions.
Lastly, I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and I abide by the BACP Ethical Framework and code of practice.